Bman

Foreman 450 ES basket care restoration.

So in the interest of punishing myself I bought a project. And ooohhh boy is it a rough one.  I picked up a 1999 Foreman 450es.  Been setting outside for months not running. Looked like it had been submarined in mud before it got parked.  No key. Dead battery. No brakes. Shot tires. Rear rack gone. But the one thing that sold me was the compression. It pulled over good and had plenty.  So what the heck I figured it was worth the 400$.  Give me something to do in the garage. And so far it's been wonderful and a massive head ache. 

Went straight to the carwash and bathed the poor thing.washed off an unreal amount of mud. 

Got it home and I had to know. Would it run. Gas tank looked like the bottom of a lake inside. So I pulled it off. Chucked a fuel on the carb to bottle feed it and a battery. Luckily I had a spare ignition from another foreman I used to have. And in true Honda fashion it came right to life. Didn't even touch the carb. Smoked for a moment then it cleared up and too my surprise this thing runs awesome. No ticks. No knocks. Wasn't even smoking.

So after I confirmed the engine was willing I moved to the transmission and this is where the head ache started and stayed for 2 days. I haven't messed with an ES before so the electric shift spooked me. Well I was happy when I hit the buttons and it was working. Great right? Wrong. Then it all of a sudden quit working. Then it did. Then it didn't. It would work perfectly for a few minutes then go completely dead. Did my research and I started checking. Checked the connectors. All good. Fuses all good. I was convinced I narrowed it down. it was that angle sensor being intermittent. At this point it went dead and it wasn't coming back. So I called it a night.  I had Took the body apart. The skid plate off. And fought with it trying to get the shift motor and angle sensor out. It whooped me. 

Well the next day the fun continues. I confirmed it still no worky worky. And went back to messing with it and I had been looking around the battery box area at wiring then all the sudden it came back to life. So I prodded a bit more and learned the hard way a voltmeter isn't always the full story. So sure the 30amp fuse tested good, but I didn't pull it out of its socket yet. And go figure the spades on the fuse were nasty. Cleaned the socket and a new fuse and ta da. Fixed.  Threw it most of the way back together. And some spare decent rims and tires I had and went to put it through the gears. Found out the reverse cable is broken, but it does work fine. And 1-5 were all good as well. And that's pretty much where I am now.  I got it running. Shifting. And very carefully riding.  I know I type ALOT. I apologize.  I'll attach some pics. One when I first got it and the other after I did what I did so far. 

IMG_20220411_173701991.jpg

IMG_20220412_155903926.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome to the club , there are quite a few members with 450 ES's 

I have had 400s and 450s Foremans. I was actually looking for a 02 or newer for the selectable 4wd. But I settled on this one for how cheap it was. Around where I live ATVs and any off road toys carry a premium price tag. Worse so now with the pandemic.  Although if I'm not mistaken I can just buy  the selectable front differential and the switch and it'll all bolt in?

You got a bargain for $400!  

If I recall correctly, the selectable front diff for a 450 will swap in, but the 02-04 driveshaft is just a hair too long, because the 02-04 final shaft in the engine is a hair shorter than the 98-01.  Since you have the earlier (longer)  final shaft in your engine, that's a hair long, it's really tight getting the driveshaft in there. 

@SamUK squeezed in an 02-04 front diff and driveshaft.  When @shadetree did the swap on one, he cut the front driveshaft and welded it back together, taking out a little of the length on the driveshaft.

the front elec diff will NOT be a direct bolt on !. why ?, because the wire harness is NOT the same on the es models..as well as the early models from '98-'01. the front diff on select diff's only work on '02-'04 trx450. you CAN however get retro to make a gizmo that will control the front ele diff if you decide to install it in this es early model, i did it. you will need the throttle control off a later model '02-'04 that has the 2wd-4wd switch made into it.

• Like 2

i currently have a '04 trx450s that i just rebuilt, have it up for sale @ 4,000 cash, bottom dollar is 3800 cash. also currently rebuilding a '01 trx450s, won't be as pretty as the '04 trx450s ?, but it will be solid engine wise !. will list the '01 trx450s @ 3600 cash, prob settle for 3400 bottom dollar ?. i don't set the prices ?, i just build them.

2004 trx450fm left side view.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bman said:

So in the interest of punishing myself I bought a project. And ooohhh boy is it a rough one.  I picked up a 1999 Foreman 450es.  Been setting outside for months not running. Looked like it had been submarined in mud before it got parked.  No key. Dead battery. No brakes. Shot tires. Rear rack gone. But the one thing that sold me was the compression. It pulled over good and had plenty.  So what the heck I figured it was worth the 400$.  Give me something to do in the garage. And so far it's been wonderful and a massive head ache. 

Went straight to the carwash and bathed the poor thing.washed off an unreal amount of mud. 

Got it home and I had to know. Would it run. Gas tank looked like the bottom of a lake inside. So I pulled it off. Chucked a fuel on the carb to bottle feed it and a battery. Luckily I had a spare ignition from another foreman I used to have. And in true Honda fashion it came right to life. Didn't even touch the carb. Smoked for a moment then it cleared up and too my surprise this thing runs awesome. No ticks. No knocks. Wasn't even smoking.

So after I confirmed the engine was willing I moved to the transmission and this is where the head ache started and stayed for 2 days. I haven't messed with an ES before so the electric shift spooked me. Well I was happy when I hit the buttons and it was working. Great right? Wrong. Then it all of a sudden quit working. Then it did. Then it didn't. It would work perfectly for a few minutes then go completely dead. Did my research and I started checking. Checked the connectors. All good. Fuses all good. I was convinced I narrowed it down. it was that angle sensor being intermittent. At this point it went dead and it wasn't coming back. So I called it a night.  I had Took the body apart. The skid plate off. And fought with it trying to get the shift motor and angle sensor out. It whooped me. 

Well the next day the fun continues. I confirmed it still no worky worky. And went back to messing with it and I had been looking around the battery box area at wiring then all the sudden it came back to life. So I prodded a bit more and learned the hard way a voltmeter isn't always the full story. So sure the 30amp fuse tested good, but I didn't pull it out of its socket yet. And go figure the spades on the fuse were nasty. Cleaned the socket and a new fuse and ta da. Fixed.  Threw it most of the way back together. And some spare decent rims and tires I had and went to put it through the gears. Found out the reverse cable is broken, but it does work fine. And 1-5 were all good as well. And that's pretty much where I am now.  I got it running. Shifting. And very carefully riding.  I know I type ALOT. I apologize.  I'll attach some pics. One when I first got it and the other after I did what I did so far. 

IMG_20220411_173701991.jpg

IMG_20220412_155903926.jpg

we love long stories and basket cases..THAT IS ALL I DO IS BUILD BASKET CASES !..LOL.

• Like 3

I figure the switchable front diff just needs 12v switched to operate? And so I might fit without modifications and it might not? 

I also remember there being the 424 lock outs. I know warn used to make them. Then wide open.  Are these still being produced by anyone? 

And honestly shadetree around here those Foremans would easily sell for those prices. So I figured getting this one so cheap was pretty good idea.  I was in the mindset of do as little work as possible to get it going and flip it, but after hearing this thing run I'm highly likely gonna keep It. It is honestly the best sounding Honda I've owned.  And under the dirt and neglect I think a solid machine still lives. I did get the display working a bit and it's got 1500miles on it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bman said:

I figure the switchable front diff just needs 12v switched to operate? And so I might fit without modifications and it might not? 

I also remember there being the 424 lock outs. I know warn used to make them. Then wide open.  Are these still being produced by anyone? 

And honestly shadetree around here those Foremans would easily sell for those prices. So I figured getting this one so cheap was pretty good idea.  I was in the mindset of do as little work as possible to get it going and flip it, but after hearing this thing run I'm highly likely gonna keep It. It is honestly the best sounding Honda I've owned.  And under the dirt and neglect I think a solid machine still lives. I did get the display working a bit and it's got 1500miles on it. 

the front diff's don't need 12 volts to work, they will work with less than that. the 450 are great solid engines..cept i don't like es models..i'd rather have a manual shift all day long. i'm not sure if wide open still sells the kick out or not today ?. if you do find one ?, chances are, the drive shaft will need some mod done to it..as the early version 450's have a diff length drive shaft than the later models, i know this..cuz i had to cut a drive shaft to make it fit in an early model.

Process for adding a factory selectable 450 diff will be the same as this thread, EXCEPT you'll have to either swap out your engine's final shaft with the 02-04 final shaft (engine tear down) OR shorten the 02-04 front driveshaft a hair, in addition to the other stuff listed in the thread.

I much prefer the OEM electric diffs to the 424.  I know Fish prefers the cable units.

Last I heard Wide Open wasn't bringing in anymore 424/cable units for the foreseeable future, so you'd have to find new old stock.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

i currently have a '04 trx450s that i just rebuilt, have it up for sale @ 4,000 cash, bottom dollar is 3800 cash. also currently rebuilding a '01 trx450s, won't be as pretty as the '04 trx450s ?, but it will be solid engine wise !. will list the '01 trx450s @ 3600 cash, prob settle for 3400 bottom dollar ?. i don't set the prices ?, i just build them.

2004 trx450fm left side view.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

Bet you get 4K for that one.  Worth every penny.

46 minutes ago, Bman said:

12V will certainly actuate the front diff.  @retro said dropping it to a little over 9V would likely make the electromagnet in the front actuator last longer.

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

Bet you get 4K for that one.  Worth every penny.

i've had a couple nibbles..no one has the cash ?..was offered 3500 for the '04 trx450s..turned them down.

• Like 2

Probably easier to shorten the later driveshaft then lengthen the older one Id say.  

And I prefer foot shift as well but this is what I found haha. Don't gotta put your foot down in water or mud on occasion so that's cool. 

I know the current list of things I need to do right now is.

Service the brakes. Might just convert it to disc. 

Reverse cable is broken so a new one of those.

All the fluids. And filters. 

Need a Rear rack and display.  

That should get it back to full functionality mechanically. 

3 minutes ago, Bman said:

Probably easier to shorten the later driveshaft then lengthen the older one Id say.  

And I prefer foot shift as well but this is what I found haha. Don't gotta put your foot down in water or mud on occasion so that's cool. 

I know the current list of things I need to do right now is.

Service the brakes. Might just convert it to disc. 

Reverse cable is broken so a new one of those.

All the fluids. And filters. 

Need a Rear rack and display.  

That should get it back to full functionality mechanically. 

05-11 Foreman, 05-14 Rubicon, and 06-current Rincon front discs are all the same, and will bolt onto your 450 at the ball joints.

And I think both the newer 02-04 450 driveshaft AND the 98-01 front driveshafts are both too long.  You'll need to shorten either one.  The final shaft in the engine on the 02-04 450's is shorter, so to use a stock 02-04 front driveshaft you'd have to swap out the final shaft in the engine as well. 

That said, if you're cutting and welding a driveshaft, might as well use the one you have instead of buying an 02-04 and still having to cut it.

Just now, Bman said:

Has anyone used those front disc kits? Find them from 250-300. 

Both SuperATV and Highlifter are good to go.

SuperATV will give you a 10% discount if you call to order and tell them you're a member of this forum.

I prefer to use OEM swaps from later models when I can because it will make finding individual parts easier in the future (pads, calipers, etc) if I need parts.

Yep, knuckle, hub/rotor assembly, caliper bracket, and caliper.

Not worth it if buying new OEM parts, but if you find someone parting out a machine and can get the stuff for the same or less money than a conversion, it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Bman said:

If you can comprehend to not shift if moving too fast  , cause it will  / could cause damage to the front diff , then you don't need the speed sensors  , control module and wiring harness associated with the OEM second gen 4wd selectable front diff  ---- install a toggle switch 9-12v , I did a 424 kick out on both my 2000 and 2002 model 450s  , not fond of the selectable shift 4wd ,  left me in the woods numerous times with only 2wd  to get out 

• Like 1

Highlifter claims to be USA made , but sends out their products with Made in China decals on them , so I hear , well  actually seen pics of , also charges $100 plus more for their product , call SuperAtv and tell them your a member here and get 10% off those disc kits , front and rear 

I am ashamed of Highlifter being a Louisiana based company  and calling themself Made in the USA , Stolen Valor , if I am going to get chinese crap , then charge me chinese prices , LOL 

• Like 2

Yeah, were it me I'd get the SuperATV kit for sure, unless you find used OEM parts for the swap.

So being unfamiliar with the Electric shift. Is there any Dos and Donts when shifting them? It's working so I don't want to tear it up by not knowing. 

2 minutes ago, Bman said:

So being unfamiliar with the Electric shift. Is there any Dos and Donts when shifting them? It's working so I don't want to tear it up by not knowing. 

If everything is working properly , then it should not let you engage the front diff if you going too fast