Dlongest

2000 Foreman Common Problems

Hello all. 

Just picked up a 2000 foreman 400 for the wife and I’m going through it too to bottom, front to back. I’m doing this it got me curious. Are there any common problems that these bikes usually have that I would look out.  

Thanks y’all. 

I recommend downloading the Honda service manual and making sure you have the operators manual.

I think the most common problems are caused by owners. Using wrong engine oil, installing the oil filter backwards, running with bad battery and not running it enough to prevent deposits in the carb.

• Like 1

Not really.  What goober said.  You might check the left rear bearing.  Other than that that bearing and brakes (all Honda drum brakes suck) thsoe are pretty tough machines.

• Like 1

Awesome. Thanks guys. I’ll will download the manual and make my way though that. 

Jeepmw69 I currently have on order a rear end rebuild and breaks all around. When I was checking the rear breaks I found the bearing was stating to go so I figured i would just replace everything back there while it was apart. 

• Like 1

rear brakes are prone to go bad..or not work at all when buying used !. dirty carbs from sitting. left rear axle bearing and oil seal. rear diff should be torn down, and inspected for worn bearings, worn ring gear, worn ring gear splines, as well as axle splines where the ring gear rides. axle hub splines worn, the list goes on an on when buying anything used. YOU MUST GO THROUGH EVERY INCH OF THIS ATV TO MAKE SURE ITS IN TIP TOP SHAPE !. don't forget the swing arm bearings as well !. check all cables for sticking..not working ?.

• Like 1

Shadetree

I understand you are buying someone else’s problem when buying used I was more or less looking for anything outside of the ordinary that might be a common issue with these bikes. But everything you have listed is something I’ve either replaced, replacing or checking out. 

thank you 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dlongest said:

Hello all. 

Just picked up a 2000 foreman 400 for the wife and I’m going through it too to bottom, front to back. I’m doing this it got me curious. Are there any common problems that these bikes usually have that I would look out.  

Thanks y’all. 

They flip over easy if you jack them up and steam will burn your leg if you wear short pants and ride in the water ---- also bad about stripping out the collar / sleeves on both the front and rear diff pinions 

• Like 1

Good to know. I’m going to do 450 shock swap and run 26s so not going too big. 

I just checked my rear end and everything looks like new back there. I’m working my way to the front. I’ll check out the front diff once I get there. 

Speaking of the tire size is that something I should be looking into a GR? I’m going up 2 inches in tire size all around. 

• Like 1

I think no GR  and your good with 2 inches oversize , the 450s seem geared low to start with , I have the 14.5% in my 2002 , that is very easy to achieve , I used the primary and basket gear out of a 300 Fourtrax , no grinding or anything , slips right in , I  run 27s wide Outlaws  on it  ----  I have the 34.5% in my 2000 , that took grinding of the case , alot , messy job , that used a cuton primary with a 300 EX clutch  basket gear , running  29.5 Outlaws

• Like 2

I noticed this morning there wasn’t much room for a bigger basket gear on the 450 when I was reinstalling the clutches. 

Guess you have to carefully grind that top case edge to get the 34 in there huh?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I noticed this morning there wasn’t much room for a bigger basket gear on the 450 when I was reinstalling the clutches. 

Guess you have to carefully grind that top case edge to get the 34 in there huh?

I took some pics , it is a lot of grinding , scary because the case is thin after it is all over , realized if I broke thru , so what , I could just JBWeld the case with a patch , lucky it went smooth , I had a really good quality die bit for aluminum and it ate it up 

• Like 1

Wow. Sounds like a sketchy job. There’s I don’t really have any need to go bigger than 26. Plus I have spares sitting around. 

Would this make a difference if it was a 400? I don’t have a 450. 

17 minutes ago, Dlongest said:

Wow. Sounds like a sketchy job. There’s I don’t really have any need to go bigger than 26. Plus I have spares sitting around. 

Would this make a difference if it was a 400? I don’t have a 450. 

Nope, gears are the same, and with 26's stock tires will be perfect. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dlongest said:

Shadetree

I understand you are buying someone else’s problem when buying used I was more or less looking for anything outside of the ordinary that might be a common issue with these bikes. But everything you have listed is something I’ve either replaced, replacing or checking out. 

thank you 

yeah, when i buy a atv..its pretty much a basket case from the get go !..lol. i rebuild/restore them to new ( or as new as i can ? ) as i like my projects to be the best on the market, my work shows this, as well as my happy buyers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shadetree said:

yeah, when i buy a atv..its pretty much a basket case from the get go !..lol. i rebuild/restore them to new ( or as new as i can ? ) as i like my projects to be the best on the market, my work shows this, as well as my happy buyers.

That’s my plan with this bike for the wife. I want her to have something nice. Im pretty particular myself. So I know i know I'm going a bit overboard but it’s worth it in the long run. You take care of it. It’s takes care of you.   

• Like 1

1. Take care of the carb. Rebuild as needed, clean it but DO NOT buy the cheap imitation replacement carbs on Amazon... you'll end up regretting it. Use Mechanic in a Bottle every now and then, and before storing.

2. Wire snafu under the seat. Had intermittent running issues, starting issues, lights... Long story short I eliminated the stock "block" and rewired ALL of it with individual fuses. Never looked back.

3. Brakes - Stock suck. Even with replacement parts, they still suck. Disc replacements are viable, but I have yet to bleed them so they actually work.

4. I haven't done it (yet), but converting to a manual shifter will save your back from the clunky e-shifter.

5. Engine - change oil often, and it will last longer than you'll ever need.

• Like 1