Shady_Redneck

350 rancher es clatter

Valves, bad bore, or a valve seat dropping. 

What year is the 350?  I think some of them have problems with a valve seat dropping out of the head.  @shadetree found one like that IIRC.

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Valves, bad bore, or a valve seat dropping. 

What year is the 350?  I think some of them have problems with a valve seat dropping out of the head.  @shadetree found one like that IIRC.

2003 I’ve heard of valve seat dropping when it gets hot but on this one you can unplug the spark plug spin it over fast enough and it starts to clatter (starts at about 500rpm)

Complete rebuild has a different meaning to everyone so being specific on that will help us know what all has been touched or replaced. Does the clatter come from the top end or the low end? Front or rear?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shady_Redneck said:

Anyone know what would cause a engine to clatter even after a complete rebuild?

could be anything ?, depending on who did the rebuild on what they know about these models ?, say's alot about what they can do right or wrong !. without seeing it in person..tearing into it ?, it will be hard to tell you what all is wrong with it. alot of the early trx350tm/fm ranchers had a defective valve seat from the factory, once warmed up, they would work up and out of the head, sit there and clatter under the valve spring and valve seat made into the head.

I am going to take a wild guess , " rebuild " did not include crankshaft work and should have , if it did not , clatter sounds like a maybe a piston floating around ----what all was in that rebuild 

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

Complete rebuild has a different meaning to everyone so being specific on that will help us know what all has been touched or replaced. Does the clatter come from the top end or the low end? Front or rear?

I replaced all the internal components upper and lower valves head crankshaft ect (not a oem head I had it custom made) and the clatter sound is from the top end

1 hour ago, Shady_Redneck said:

I replaced all the internal components upper and lower valves head crankshaft ect (not a oem head I had it custom made) and the clatter sound is from the top end

My guess is that's your problem then.

You say "all internal components" but you're still not being specific.

Crank new or rebuilt?  If rebuilt, by whom, and what brand rod was used?

New timing chain?  Timing chain tensionser?  Were they OEM or chinese?

What do you mean by a "custom made" head?  Need details on that.

New cylinder or bore?  If new, OEM or chinese?  If bore, who did the bore, and how much OS was it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

My guess is that's your problem then.

You say "all internal components" but you're still not being specific.

Crank new or rebuilt?  If rebuilt, by whom, and what brand rod was used?

New timing chain?  Timing chain tensionser?  Were they OEM or chinese?

What do you mean by a "custom made" head?  Need details on that.

New cylinder or bore?  If new, OEM or chinese?  If bore, who did the bore, and how much OS was it?

New OEM crank new OEM rod new push rods camshaft ect all oem by custom head I had isn’t made (machined I think) by my brother at a metal shop new cylinder oem first tried to rebore it but it was too far gone 

Edited by Shady_Redneck

only one way you will find out what the problem is ?..TEAR IT DOWN AND LOOK !.

40 minutes ago, Shady_Redneck said:

New OEM crank new OEM rod new push rods camshaft ect all oem by custom head I had isn’t made (machined I think) by my brother at a metal shop new cylinder oem first tried to rebore it but it was too far gone 

If you had new OEM crank, cam, cylinder, and piston/rings and the valves were ground with new valve stem seals then either something wasn't put together right, you didn't adjust the valves on the right stroke, or again, check the exhaust heat shield, as they can rattle at certain RPM's and sound like the engine.

Next step after checking valve adjustment and exhaust is what Shadetree said; pull it back apart and see what you find.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shady_Redneck said:

Here’s a video (hopefully it’ll play)

IMG_1703.MOV

you are posting files asking to be opened ?, most of us wont do this, upload a video to youtube, then post a link in this thread.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, shadetree said:

you are posting files asking to be opened ?, most of us wont do this, upload a video to youtube, then post a link in this thread.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Te1p-jhz_20?feature=share Boom

38 minutes ago, shadetree said:

It’s just an mov file from an iphone. 

Sounds like valves to me.  What did you adjust them to shady?

4 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

It’s just an mov file from an iphone. 

Sounds like valves to me.  What did you adjust them to shady?

0.15 millimeters from the manual 

You sure your feeler gauges are in MM?  Every one I have seen is in inches, which would be .006

May sound like a stupid question but you never know

33 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

You sure your feeler gauges are in MM?  Every one I have seen is in inches, which would be .006

May sound like a stupid question but you never know

Yep I have them in MM and in inches I used a metric one that day cause I couldn’t find the standard one

its going to be valves adjusted wrong ?, or bad valve seats..i'll bank on it !.

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

Are you sure you adjusted valves on the right stroke?  

i really wish folks would try to understand there is two ways to adjust valves !!!. one of these ways is the wrong way..lol. valves MUST be adjusted on the compression stroke, NOT the exhaust stroke !.