meldridge2

2006 Honda Rancher 350 2x4 Best Tool To Remove Hubs

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to replace the front brakes and rear brake on my 2006 Honda Rancher 350. The hubs are on tight and I cannot get them off to change the brakes. I watched a few things on youtube but didn't find anything that actually provided a link to a tool (puller) that would get them off. Can anyone point me toward a link for the best tool to use? I did beat on them a bit with a hammer but nothing was moving and I was afraid I would damage the hub and turn this into a bigger job. Also I noticed the rear brake seem to be locked up as it will not roll in neutral, the atv sat in my building for years. Any idea what I can look at to figure out why the rear brake might be locked up? 

Thanks in advance, this community has been a great help for me!

1 hour ago, meldridge2 said:

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to replace the front brakes and rear brake on my 2006 Honda Rancher 350. The hubs are on tight and I cannot get them off to change the brakes. I watched a few things on youtube but didn't find anything that actually provided a link to a tool (puller) that would get them off. Can anyone point me toward a link for the best tool to use? I did beat on them a bit with a hammer but nothing was moving and I was afraid I would damage the hub and turn this into a bigger job. Also I noticed the rear brake seem to be locked up as it will not roll in neutral, the atv sat in my building for years. Any idea what I can look at to figure out why the rear brake might be locked up? 

Thanks in advance, this community has been a great help for me!

depending on how '' stuck '' the brake shoes are to the drums ?, will depend on which way you get the drums off. honda does not make ( that i know of ? ) a hub remover tool , but you can make one yourself if you have an old worn out hub from a front 4wd atv from honda. before you start that, lets try a few simple ways. first remove the two 8mm head bolts from the drum front, they attach the drum to the hub. then take two flat head large screw drivers, reach in from the outer drum edge, and try prying the drum off evenly from the backing plate. you will need to spin the hub/wheel a few times when doing this. its best to have the wheel off the ground, an atv jack works great to get the whole atv up, all 4 wheels off the  ground make it easier to rotate the wheels when working in them. if the drum still wont budge ?, remove the brake inspection plug out of the drum ( its round and red ), spray some wd-40 into the drum, rotate the hub with a pry bar wedged across the studs, then go back to the screw driver method with prying, this might take a few times doing it this way. if this fails ?, then just remove the castle nut off the axle , it is a 22mm metric castle nut, pull the drum and hub all off at once, then you can get to the brake shoes, you still might find it hard to pull all this off if the brake shoes are wedged into the brake drum. if all this fails ?, then its time to make a hub remover tool. a front worn out 4wd hub, and old c-clamp, and now you weld the screw part of the c-clamp onto the hub's outside center, hammer, press out the lug studs to clear the holes, now you can slide the tool over the wheel studs on wheel, screw the screw part of it down onto the end of the axle , use this like a pully puller. 

• Like 2

Yep try to tighten the cables and shoe adjusters to try and pull the shoes inward. Use the front inspection holes—each front hub has two alignment screws and two adjusters. Make sure you’re removing those alignment screws.

Edited by Goober