Fishfiles

Parts for sale --- Lacombe , La

Worst comes to worst , you could repair that fuse box by soldering in some water proof  snap cover fuse holders and do away with the box 

• Like 1

I did just that with the solenoid this afternoon, good to go!!

I think I'm close to being able to fix the fuse box wire as well, I'll go back at it in the morning.

It stopped charging the battery the other day and at first check I was thinking the problem was the regulator/rectifier until I found the mess in the battery box, I cleaned the battery area when I first got it but didn't notice the bad wiring until closer look today.

I wouldn't expect anyone to part with limited stock of discontinued parts.

Thanks

• Like 1

@THH I just walked out and took a pic of the 450 ES fuse box hanging on a frame  , what you think from first glance , looks close 

lGdWwSNVSy+4ncQWg6chmA.jpg

+EpIdIZgTe20oH9wYboDIQ.jpg

I think I hit the wrong button on my last reply, oops.

I agree it looks close

Tomorrow I could unplug it and we could take a closer look 

I deleted your blank post above ^^^^ 

Sounds good, I appreciate the help!!

This might be a little bit better pic than the first one I posted.

Fuse box 2.jpg

from the pic, are your sure rodents did this damage ? cause once they start, they usually don't stop with just one wire,and usually hit the same places again, unless measures are taken, seen it happen many times, even a member here had  mice / rodents attacked the same wire harness on two bikes of the same exact model (420) i believe ... I'll look that thread up, i would check for chew damage all over the wire harness just be sure. plus signs of nest. 

Edit: https://atvhonda.com/topic/791-2011-trx420fpe-mice-damage-to-harness/?tab=comments#comment-21164

credit goes to @shadetree ^^^^ 

read what @Misterclean posted. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Wilson,

The wires for the solenoid were also damaged.

I found the damaged wires within a nest in the battery box so am assuming it is rodent damage, there was also a nest in air cleaner housing.

I recently bought this machine that has been in storage for a long time so no surprise to find the nests.

I check my other machines regularly and mostly find acorns in the air cleaner housings which i assume the rodents enter through the snorkel with.

I have gone over 95% of the harness and so far the damage in battery box is all I have found.

I will finish checking the rest of the harness today, all connections I have come across so far have been cleaned and greased with dielectric.

starter solenoid.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

good deal, looks like your on the right track, long time storage, eh ? yeah been there.... with other machines, i kind of figured the air  cleaner housing, and intake would be the path way, i have stainless steel mesh over mine, but if they want in bad enough, they will just  chew a hole in the plastic tubing, i hate the suckers! i would do my best to place poison, moth balls, and use mint sprey, i also heard juicy fruit gum, will attrack them, they eat it, and some how kills them, whether this gum method is true, or not i don't know, so your other bikes have been a target to ? need to get drastic with those suckers, let me know if i can help, in anyway, you can also mix red pepper with apple cider vinegar, and dawn dish washing soap, (use plenty of red pepper, and vinegar)  and spray the shop area real good, and that will also keep them away. 

• Like 1

I spray my shed and garage with rodent stopper 

it probably smells really strong but I can’t smell so doesn’t bother me 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 3

that mixture (red pepper viniger, and dawn reeks ..... stay around it long enough, and it will clear your sinus's out.... 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the pesticide tips and offer to help!!

• Like 1

@THH  , yesterday morning I did look around for a 2000 450S fuse box for you , no good --- be careful of sellers as they might miss label that part and you receive the wrong one ---  the first pic is an ES , the battery leads are not connected to the box ----third pic of  that empty white plug  was where the one you need use to live , and I realized where that one went , it is on my 2000S now as the original fuse box had a fuse do a partial melt down in it  , also realize I don't have a spare ----second pic 450 fuse bo , model and year unknown , has a secondary fuse made into the battery lead 

YEUqPNShRMWBNTN9Y2+uLA.jpg

xxFnSqlARjqM9kDfPBc9LA.jpg

RLm3P6g+R4Ww82FMfr4woQ.jpg

Oh , and forgot to mention 6666 , that second pic of the fuse box with  the secondary fuse holder , it is  also mice eaten , the large red wire use to go into the fuse box , if you look really closely 

@Fishfiles Thanks for looking and trying to help out, I understand the difference now and will keep looking.

Funny you mention be careful of sellers sending wrong part, I thought I found one this morning and asked for a pic from him and he sent one and It was the ES part.

I told him it wasn't what I needed and he said he was sure it was so I asked him to compare his to pic I sent of mine and finally agreed he was wrong.

I did notice the red wire in your pic was chewed off like mine was.

I was able to repair the damage on mine and have it put back together.

• Like 4

I did do solder repair and used heat shrink tubing.

The reg/rec I ordered came in this morning, got it installed and system is charging like it should.

Up and running again!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goober said:

Ol Mistah Jingles like to chew dem wires.

Mistah Jingles was the mouse in the movie The Green Mile .... 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2021 at 5:18 AM, Fishfiles said:

I just seen your post today on 1/9/20 by accident , I have several 450S and ES  engines in the shed , whether they run are not  is unknown as I bought them in a lot , for sure they are good part engines  

I may need a front case(engine) if the JB Weld doesn't hold on the crack in the bottom. Oil drips out. Doesn't seem to be under pressure.

2000 TRX450ES

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Maddhatter said:

I may need a front case(engine) if the JB Weld doesn't hold on the crack in the bottom. Oil drips out. Doesn't seem to be under pressure.

2000 TRX450ES

If  JB Weld doesn't work , 3M5200 will   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff , I dug up  3 450 front bumpers , none are perfect , all about the same , I see they list 98-2001 and then 2002-2004 , I don't know which I have or if there is really a difference , I would want $50 each  --- the one with no aluminum cover is the best condition one 

fullsizeoutput_f81.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f84.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f86.jpeg

• Like 1