Cory

2021 Honda rubicon 520

Looking for some help. I have a 2021 honda 520 rubicon that is DCT electric shift that won't shift in to gear. I check the shift motor amd seems to be working fine . I also replaced the gear angle sensor and that didn't fix the problem neither. Any suggestions?

I read somewhere recently that there was a recall on the software that runs the electronics on those models.

They do a full reflash on the system and replace neutral switch.

Might be worth checking with the dealer or looking up recalls for your model.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

39 minutes ago, Cory said:

Looking for some help. I have a 2021 honda 520 rubicon that is DCT electric shift that won't shift in to gear. I check the shift motor amd seems to be working fine . I also replaced the gear angle sensor and that didn't fix the problem neither. Any suggestions?

is it out of warranty ?, if not ?, take it to the dealership. if its out of warranty ?, re-set the ecu/c.d.i. service manual ( which i doubt we have here ? ) will show you how to re-set these.

Yes it is out of warranty . Thanks for the advice. Will try to find out how to reset ecu . 

Will it manually shift into gear? Is the gear indicator blinking or showing -- instead of N?

With the tool givin I can shift into gear. It had the line  shiwing but I manually shifted into N

you said you replaced the angle sensor...is this part from honda ( oem ) ?, or ebay china ?. if from ebay china ?, then that is one of your problems right there !. stay far away from china parts !!.

It is a oem honda part. I got it from pro cycle which is a honda dealer 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cory said:

It is a oem honda part. I got it from pro cycle which is a honda dealer 

ok, i never trust just any seller when it comes to oem parts..unless i buy from a repeat seller..which most times it is rmatv, and if they do not have it ?, then i bite the bullet, and purchase from partzilla.

Exactly. I don't mind spending the extra money if I believe the quality is better

Does it make a sound of trying to shift or is it completely dead?

There is no sound . When I hit the arrow up to shift into 1st the N light will go away for about 2 seconds and than come back on. It's like something is stopping it from engaging 

On 4/18/2022 at 11:15 AM, shadetree said:

you said you replaced the angle sensor...is this part from honda ( oem ) ?, or ebay china ?. if from ebay china ?, then that is one of your problems right there !. stay far away from china parts !!.

Not trying to stray off subject...BUT...I bought an “Oem” Honda TRX90 thumb lever a few years back when I noticed something very peculiar....I’d assume they wanted to cut costs

in places they could, I imagine Honda has a “quality control” measure in place...but thought I’d share.

C6B620B8-6691-440E-B52D-F50C877BA201.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep, have started seeing more and more "Made in Chyna" Honda parts, although they are usually seals and such.

I just got some Wix filters in for my parents' van, sister's car, and wife's car.  All were made in Chyna.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:26 AM, Velvetlinedcasket said:

Not trying to stray off subject...BUT...I bought an “Oem” Honda TRX90 thumb lever a few years back when I noticed something very peculiar....I’d assume they wanted to cut costs

in places they could, I imagine Honda has a “quality control” measure in place...but thought I’d share.

C6B620B8-6691-440E-B52D-F50C877BA201.jpeg

haha..yer a day late..dollar short. i've noticed honda has went to china parts a long time ago !.

It was 2000 something when Honda switched to returnable crates and they built them out of their China manufacturing plant. World wide companies have operations everywhere so they can save when needed.  

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 5:36 PM, shadetree said:

haha..yer a day late..dollar short. i've noticed honda has went to china parts a long time ago !.

Well fair enough...you and nobody else mentioned this “old known news” to the guy who told you to stay away from China parts...and this post isnt old, only from April....kinda hard to conclude you or anyone else would have already known...just saying.🤷‍♂️
Wasn’t trying to insult anybodies intelligence! .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Cory , did you ever figure out your shift problem ?

@CadeH , see how that works , @plus name alerts the person with a PM >>>>   maybe Cory will see that hail

3 hours ago, CadeH said:

Did you ever find a solution to this problem. I am having the same problem.

Is the battery fully charged, is anything flashing on the display, have you tried shifting it manually, is it trying to shift or just dead?

@toodeep I was driving and the rpm’s just went up and the bike started to slow. I looked at the display and is was just a dash. I stopped but the bike was still running. I tried to shift it with the buttons but it would not do anything. So I turned off the bike and it would not start back up. So I brought it home checked the battery and it looked good but I charged it overnight. I got up the next day and still nothing so I got the manual tool and was able to get it into neutral. Then I was able to get the bike started but when I tried to shift it into drive with the buttons the green “N” would disappear and then return. So that is where I am stuck…