DuckOfDeath

'86 TRX350 build

I picked up this 86 model a couple years ago and put it on the back burner. Finally got around to it a month or so ago. A previous owner had it bored over. They also neglected to torque the cam sprocket bolts or use lock tight, and it came apart and damaged the cam, sending metal fragments into the clutch cover side. The fenders were smashed up, but the wiring, frame, and hardware all looked great. It's been a breeze to work on, in that regard. Haven't had to battle seized bolts. I spent some extra time doing some things I don't  normally do, like paint the top end and fuel tank. Anyhow, this week I picked up another 86 that has some usable fenders. Right now I'm doing knuckles and brakes. I'll post more progress in the coming days.

20220408_123323.jpg

• Like 4

biggest issue you face is locating a c.d.i. for it !. all oem c.d.i.'s are discontinued now, its used or china..lol. i'd advise you to replace the came chain if it has not been changed ?. it may need a oem fuel pump ?, those are pricey !..lol. deff make sure it has a good, charged battery to fire and run !. if you need any parts ( no fenders )..holler at me. main thing i hate about the 1986 model ?, is most drive line parts will only work on that year model !.

• Like 1

Definitely more pics to follow. Hey Shade 10-4 on the CDI'S. I think the 87 350D is the last model Partzilla has CDI'S for. I think I have 4 working  used ones for the 86 model, and two parts bikes I haven't even got to yet. I have enough parts to put together 1, maybe 2 more running rigs. I sell a lot of parts, but I've been stock piling CDI'S.

• Like 2

I wish I would have taken some.pictures of the engine work I did. Put in my best used camshaft and chain. I have about a dozen used cam chains. Picked the shortest out of the bunch. I think the manual states you should have a 7/16th" gap between  the tensioner and jug. I didn't have that when I put a new DID chain in my 87's. More like 3/8", if that. I had 1/4 gap with the chain I put in. I'm good with that. I can always put a new one in down the road. I'm getting pretty good at it. I don't  use a clutch cover gaskets anymore. Hondabond is cheap and effective.

I'm at work tonight but here's where I'm  at now with the front end. See how clean everything is, before I've even taken a wire wheel to anything....

20220418_061949.jpg

How’s your steering Duck?

I have slop in the steering on both my 86s. After talking with Shadetree last fall I bought two steering shaft bearings and bushes-they had 4, but have gotten more in since then.
i’d like to change the steering pivot bushes if they’re bad, but these NLA; maybe i can have the local machine shop make them.

also had some clicking in the driveline but found my lug nuts weren’t tight, so hope that’s the cause! I’ll know when the trails open up next month.

hope you’re able to match up the keys to a steering lock.  

Hey Goober. Luckily, the parts bike I picked up last week has a key switch that matches the steering lock. I'm going to swap them into my build. I put in a new upper steering shaft bushing. That should be all I need. The lower bearing and pitman arm seem tight.

• Like 1

Working on knuckles tonight. Damaged the dust seals while removing them. Ebay came through with some NOS seals for cheaper than Honda likely sold them back in the day. Wanted to share a trick I learned from guys on this forum....these old Honda oem bearings can't be beat, but 35 year old grease needs to be replaced. It turns into a kind of paste. You can carefully pry off the bearing seals to clean, re grease, and pop the seal back into place.

20220420_203847.jpg

20220420_203905.jpg

• Like 2

Worked some tonight on the knuckles and brake cylinders.  The cylinders were the easiest I've ever worked with. Seals are good and everything cleaned up nicely. Which is good, because it appears Honda has discontinued the piston cups since I last did a set. 

Got the bearings pressed back in the knuckles...just waiting on new dust seals before putting it back together.

20220422_033737.jpg

20220422_033727.jpg

• Like 3

Every once in a while you get an easy one that comes apart and goes back together without every bolt fighting you.

Those projects are actually enjoyable to work on

Received  the bearing seals and brake pads. Putting the front end back together this morning.

20220426_062505.jpg

20220426_073517.jpg

• Like 1

There's a guy in one of my Facebook groups that sells the petcock lever disks he makes on a 3d printer. Two for $50, shipped. I got two, one for this build and one for my 350D. Really happy with them.

20220425_175414.jpg

20220425_173946.jpg

• Like 3

20220526_004038.jpgHaven't had much time lately to finish this project. After finishing the brakes and wheel bearings I took it for another test drive. The first test drive a month or so ago, I had a hanging throttle that prompted me to stop and get some working brakes. Anyhow, lost a day to rebuilding carbs (3) only to get same results. Found I had an exhaust valve that was slightly bent. Didn't even notice it when I lapped the valves. Got some new ones and she's running great. Got the ignition with matching steering shaft lock cylinder installed. Working on wire routing and headlamp, while painting the bumpers and racks to finish this up. 

• Like 2