RubiDan

Rubicon Oil Filter

I've got a 2017 Rubicon TRX500FA7 and don't really want to order an oil filter unless I have too.  Do any of you know of a filter that I can buy at a parts house that will fit?  I searched for a long time and came up with zilch. The Honda filter is 15412-HP7-A01.  

I had a list somewhere on this site with a page full of crossover numbers , here are a few most popular brands 

Donaldson 552421

Wix 24944

Napa 4944

K+N-114

• Like 2

I did a bit of reading on Honda  oil filter crossover this morning , some was actually posted by me back in 2015 , and something I did leared  , there are a LOT of variations of oil filters for the Honda line , even though basically they are all the same filter element  , the variation of part numbers comes from with or without o-rings , as some models Hondas have thicker or thinner o-rings , to make the numbers game more confusing  there are many numbers that supercede for a multitude of reasons ----- most of the time the o-rings are still good and can be reused 

found this thread post actually on a Rubi' 

I recently began a search for correctly cross-referenced oil filters for my new rubicon, as i'm preparing for the 20hr oil initial oil change. I learned the hard way that correctly cross-reference numbers are hard to come by when the advance auto shop sold me a fram ch6015 as the correct filter for my rubicon (belive it or not, their computer list the 6015 as the filter for a TRX500FA). I didn't realize the error until saw the actual honda filter at the dealership where i bought the rubicon. I then started a search on the popular atv forums for list of filters that would fit the TRX500FA, the list goes something like this:

Honda 15412-KEA-003 filter only
K&N KN-111 filter only
Fram CH6007 O-Rings included
Wix 24938 O-Rings included
Napa Gold 4938 O-Rings included (rebranded wix)

My next problem started when i went to the wix website to verify the information i found on the forums. Everyone here does independently verify the information they find on the internet dont' they?...... welll..... be honest! If not you should.

If you look up a 2012 Honda TRX500FA on the wix website doesn't list the wix 24938 filter, instead they list the wix 57938. the 24938 is listed as being correct for several honda motorcycles and the Foreman TRX500FE and TRX500 Fourtrax no years listed. the Wix 57938 according to the website is correct for Big Red, Rancher AT (TRX400FA & TRX400FGA), Rincon (TRX650FA,F,Fx), Rubicon (TRX500FA). So what's the difference? to find out i started
comparing the dimensions of the two filters in question. Then i went to the fram website and checked the dimension of the CH6007 What i found was that the filters are very close and probably would be no problems using any of the filters in the Rubicon. What was different was the O-Rings. the O-rings
included with the Fram filter are larger diameter and thicker than the honda o-rings. The wix24938 ring dimensions are not listed but i did find a picture of the 24938 and the 57938 and there does appear to be a difference. the o-rings dimenstions listed for the 57938 filter are the correct dimenstions and appear to be compatible with the honda o-ring part numbers.

For anyone who might have the o-rings from the wix24938, i would love to know the actual dimensions.

What are the concenquences of using the thicker o-rings, i'm not sure. i'll let other giver their opinion of this, but the larger diameter listed for the fram ch6007 in enough to convince me not to try to use their o-rings.

I have attached a couple of pic from NAPA's website for comparison and a link to a couple of pics of the wix filters side by side
https://www.box.com/s/dfb654d8dbca4b76e034
https://www.box.com/s/f80f6eca268eac491411

I also created a spreadsheet with the known dimensions for the filters and o-rings for better comparison. it should be noted also that napa has changed
from NAPA Gold 4938 or 7938 to NAPA PowerSport PS4938 and NAPA PowerSport PS7938.

https://www.box.com/s/6a0fc150e9cd8b569fbf

So the list of filters should look a little more like this.

Honda 15412-KEA-003 Filter only
K&N KN-111 Filter only
Wix 57938 O-Rings included, use only with Specified model ATV's
NAPA PS7938 O-Rings included, use only with Specified model ATV's
Fram Ch6007 O-Rings included, use only for specified model motorcycles
Wix 24938 O-Rings included, use only for specified model motorcycles
NAPA PS4938 O-Rings included, use only for specified model motorcycles

Again, i realize that all of the filters listed should be completely compatible with the Rubicons and one doesn't need to change the filter o-rings at every oil change just because the filter comes with them. But i felt like more people should be aware of the o-ring differences and the fact that wix and napa both offer a filter choice that does come with the correct o-rings for those of us who would like to have a few spares lying around just in case. I would also like to note that this is all information that i collected from the internet and various sources and contains only mfg. listed dimensions to help myself make an informed decision. if anyone has a working knowledge of or can actually confirm the data i have listed, would be helpful also.

comments pertaining to my OCD, whether or not i've been smoking something, or just plain old have too much time on my hands are welcome too.... I guess
AttacmentProduct Auto part Oil filter Wheel
.2 KBws: 2,36Auto part Air intake part Filter Oil filter
  • Like 2

I think the difference in that Rubi' is the o-rings , one page I was on had , which of course I lost that page in the shuffle  ,  " oil filter element "  listed as NSS , which I think means " Not Sold Separately " 

Napa filter  conversion search engine :

http://www.nfhconnect.com/Home

2017 TRX500 FA7 results :

http://www.nfhconnect.com/Lookup/ApplicationLookup?Section=5

• Like 2

I haven't found an aftermarket filter for that specific Honda filter (same as the wife's 420FA).

Looks like Fishfiles link above to Napa shows one, but I'd sure take your old one to NAPA and make sure they're the same.

Please report back with what you find.  I get the 4944 WIX from NAPA for my footshift foremans

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I now have a place to start.  I don't have a NAPA very close to me so it may take a little while before I find out if theirs work.

How many times do you all recommend that an O-ring be reused.  I have already used it once but if the filter I buy comes with a new one I'll use it.  

Edited by RubiDan
add info

The NAPA search doesn't show an oil filter for the TRX500FA7 but that doesn't mean that they don't have one.  I went to the O'Reilly's site and it says that the WIX 57938 won't fit and they didn't have a listing for the 24938.  They did show that a K&N KN-114 would work and that's the only one that would work.  I don't know if it comes with the O-rings or not but it's not showing any in the picture.  Since I have an O'Reilly's just a few miles from me I think I'll get that one.  It's $9.99 and that's more than what I wanted to spend but at least I won't have to pay shipping or drive 30 miles to a Honda dealer.

I'll reply when I change the oil to let you all know if it works.

K&N Engineering Oil Filter KN-114 | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)

• Like 1

UPDATE:  I bought the K&N KN-114 and installed it this morning.  It was the exact same size as the Honda filter and it didn't include an O-ring.  I'll still be on the lookout for something like a WIX but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:09 AM, RubiDan said:

How many times do you all recommend that an O-ring be reused.  I have already used it once but if the filter I buy comes with a new one I'll use it.  

Use it as many times as it is not damaged 

• Like 1