David@TCRanch

TRX420fpa "-" on display

My 2013 Honda Rancher is displaying "-" flashing repeatably with no pattern.  Neutral indicator is on, will turn over but wont start.  Has been in two different dealer shops with no success.  Problem has been intermittent for over a year.  Sometimes it works like normal and then the "-" and it wont start.  I have checked shift motor and gears, all good.  The position sensor has been replaced and hasn't helped.  I have cleaned connectors and checked continuity to shifting motor.  I don't have a code reader or know how to check codes.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks, David

Hey welcome David, make a quick post in the new members to introduce yourself...

I'm sure there will be some advice for ya soon, little bit slow holiday time...

2 hours ago, bcsman said:

Hey welcome David, make a quick post in the new members to introduce yourself...

I'm sure there will be some advice for ya soon, little bit slow holiday time...

he did post in new member, and was told to make a post..(sigh )..lol.

• Like 1

Hi: Try this -- place a jumper wire from ign. coil (Bl/R wire on the ign. coil leave the BL/R wire on the ign. coil and just push the jumper in along side of the stab to make contact) -- the other end of the jumper place it on the positive post of the battery -- try starting the bike.

• Like 1

@David@TCRanch Have you tried to shift it manually into a gear and see if it displayed a gear (you might have to cycle the key)? If it still does the -- then we need to test the gear position switch and power/ground to the PCM.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, toodeep said:

@David@TCRanch Have you tried to shift it manually into a gear and see if it displayed a gear (you might have to cycle the key)? If it still does the -- then we need to test the gear position switch and power/ground to the PCM.

I have and it still says "-".  I was able to start the atv by supplying power to the coil.  I took off the gear position switch with it still plugged in rotated the switch and display goes from "-" to blank.  I will check power and ground to PCM.  Thanks for ideas.

On 1/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Melatv said:

Hi: Try this -- place a jumper wire from ign. coil (Bl/R wire on the ign. coil leave the BL/R wire on the ign. coil and just push the jumper in along side of the stab to make contact) -- the other end of the jumper place it on the positive post of the battery -- try starting the bike.

I did try this and was able to start atv.  Display doesn't change.  

On 1/1/2020 at 2:43 PM, toodeep said:

Did you use honda OEM shift angle sensors?

I've been playing with it and it will shift with the sensor off.  Actually it shifts up and down with the sensor off but reads the wrong gear.  I think for the relatively low cost of this sensor I will order a new OEM one and give it a try.

Hi: just turn key on -- test of battery voltage -- then wait until the fuel pump stops and check the voltage on the Bl/R wire on the ign. coil.

• Like 1

Hi: When you jumper the pos. of battery to the BL/R wire on the ign. coil -- and the bike started did the "..." disappear and the gear show up?

On 1/5/2020 at 9:02 AM, Melatv said:

Hi: When you jumper the pos. of battery to the BL/R wire on the ign. coil -- and the bike started did the "..." disappear and the gear show up?

I ended up replacing the gear position sensor since it is pretty cheap.  I got a genuine Honda one and put it on. So far it seems to be working fine.  Pretty cold up here now so hard to test it much.  I think it may or not have been the problem, but all the connecting and reconnecting wiring and cleaning connections might have something to do with it all too.  I feel like I understand the problem now and have a work around to get it running even if it doesn't shift right again.  Thanks for all the help everyone.

• Like 3