Don Peters

2008 Rancher won’t start, seems fuel related

Welcome to ATVHonda forum --- can  you hear the electric fuel pump buzzing  when you turn the key on ?   did you open the fuel pump can and see if the filter is dirty or full of water ?

I don't hear a pump and have never opened the pump up. Is it okay to remove the botttom of the pump to check ?

Usually it's a fuel filter, fuel pump.  Occasionally you'll get a clogged injector.

You can take the fuel pump off and check the filter in it.  The green clip on the fuel line going to the injector can be a bit of a pain, but other than that the pump isn't hard to take off.

The one second buzz is the IACV (basically a computer controlled choke), which is on a threaded shaft which spins back and forth, opening and closing the valve (choke).

If it's starting with starter fluid, it's probably either a clogged filter or a bad fuel pump. 

You can take the injector off the throttle body up top, and remove the injector from the fuel line, and then when you turn the key on you should get a shot of gas out of the line.  If you don't, take the pump housing off and open it up and see what you find.

If you do decide to replace the pump, don't get aftermarket.  The OEM are more expensive, but the aftermarket more often than not do not work.   Used OEM is preferable to new aftermarket.

See if your getting power to the fuel pump when you first turn the key on or move the left handlebar kill switch. If your getting power then you have a pump problem. If your not you have the fuel pump relay to check out and most likely stuck. If I leave mine sit for long periods of time I have to give the fuel pump relay a good smack to get it working again.