Logan410

400 ex Throttle won’t engage at all

I appreciate the insight. So I was actually just riding it around the block and it just died on me. And now it’s getting no power when I turn the key on the lights don’t even come on. Not sure what it is. Feel like it’s one thing after another with this thing

Just now, Logan410 said:

I appreciate the insight. So I was actually just riding it around the block and it just died on me. And now it’s getting no power when I turn the key on the lights don’t even come on. Not sure what it is. Feel like it’s one thing after another with this thing

Check the fuse. Its back near the battery. I would also make sure its not just a loose battery connection. And no problem at all bud! Thats what we are here for. I can walk you through just about anything on a 400ex. I have had mine down to bare frame 3 times. As of rightnow it is a full custom stroker build. Around 440cc. Dont give up on the 400ex. Yours had a rough life. Someone at one point did some bad things. But it all can be turned around. Mine when i got it was rough aswell. They almost always are. Its a toy. People treat them that way.

I appreciate you guys and yes I want this four wheeler to work out I really like it and I realize that the headlight is coming on when I turn on the key but the area where it lights up green when it’s in neutral does not light up so could it be the ignition?

No green neutral light? If thats the case try pulling the clutch and see if it starts. There is a neutral switch down by the shift lever. Has one wire going to it. Usually green wire. It plugs into the neutral switch. If that wire came off or broke you wont get a green light when in neutral. The bypass is to pull the clutch. It should start as long as the clutch perch is still stock and not messed with. Take alot of pictures. We will get you straightened right out!

The wire coming from the clutch looks like it got burnt here. Not sure if it was already like that. Pulling the clutch and still won’t attempt to start. It shut off on me one time earlier while riding and then started one more time and rode it and it died in the middle of riding. That green wire looks attached I’ll put up pic of it. 

3A59EBC8-67D6-4F32-AA2E-0E08FF0D11EB.jpeg

Ok from the top the wire that is burnt on the header is your coil wire. That goes to the spark plug. Want to make sure thats tied up away from the header. That is more of a fire hazard than anything. But not why its not turning over. The other is actually your clutch cable. Tie it away from the header aswell. Still though not the reason its not turning over

2nd picture wire does look attatched. Try wiggling it and see if you get a green light. You had a green light before all this correct? You are 100% sure its in neutral?(i know i know. We have all been here before) lol

3rd picture alot is learned in this picture. The clutch perch is stock. The 2 wires that are disconnected down at the bottom right of the pic are the wires for the neutral bypass. They have been removed which means this thing should start in gear so always be sure you are pulling the clutch when starting for safety as it will jump forward aggressively. If those wires were tied together it would only start in neutral. (It is possible i have this backwards in my mind lol)

4th picture all the important wires look to be attatched. It is possible your neutral switch could be going bad. There is a test for that. But i would try crossing the solinoid. It is the round piece with two big wires going into it. Mounted to the front of the battery. Take a flat blade screw driver. (Be 100% sure its in neutral roll it to be confident) and while crossing the terminals hit the start switch. See if it cranks over. If that dont work its 100% a neutral switch problem and we can go down the road to get it bypassed to get it running.

Now I feel like an absolute idiot lol was not in neutral. Got it in neutral and fired right up. Never been a motor guy lol. I appreciate you guys so much. Also what would of caused it to just shut off while riding though?

Remove the black cover. The red cover is already removed. The black cover should just slide up the wire. And cross those 2 nuts on top with a screw driver and hit the start button while its crossed.

9651F3F7-B784-4958-8C66-3E8819A711D2.thumb.jpeg.abcf2c5245f946cb778a9a602e608e9f.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Logan410 said:

Now I feel like an absolute idiot lol was not in neutral. Got it in neutral and fired right up. Never been a motor guy lol. I appreciate you guys so much. Also what would of caused it to just shut off while riding though?

No worries! We have all been there! When i built my motor this last time. I did a full custom build. Custom piston, crank, whole 9 yards. Took it for the first ride down the road. Slow not getting on it i made it halfway back home and it shut off. I almost passed out i was so angry. Sat on it in the middle of the road with my head down just thinking what could have possibly gone wrong. I crossed all my T's dotted all my i's. Long story short. Gas was in the off position....................

My bet why it stalled at random has something to do with it being lean from running the wrong carb. No offense to the person who put the carb on. But i doubt highly its jetted even close to correctly. I would struggle with dialing in the wrong carb for an engine and get it to run right. And having the exhaust leak and popping. I wouldnt read to much into the stalling until you get a 400ex carb on it and the exhaust leak fixed.

12 minutes ago, Logan410 said:

Your the man slammed ranger. Can you send me what carb I should buy? 

Here is where we have options. You could buy a cheap knock off carb. They are around 50-75 dollars. I would suggest against this. They tend to not last very long and cause alot of annoyances with tuning. The cheapest oem carb i see on ebay is right around 200 dollars. This honestly is your best option. Option 3 would be roll the dice. But a used oem carb those look to be around 100 dollars. But you may have to buy a rebuild kit and take it apart and clean it this requires some good meticulous mechanical ability. You may also end up with a perfectly good used carb clean and in great condition. These are the struggles i go through everytime i build or fix a quad for a friend.

5 minutes ago, Logan410 said:

Ordered all 3. Thank you. Is it hard replacing a carb?

No. Im sure i can talk you through the process. Getting the throttle cable adjusted will be the toughest part. Is this 400ex all stock? I saw the stock pipe. Looks like only mod is airbox lid removed.

No problem at all! This is why we all helped build this place. To keep people riding and enjoying there atvs. Let me know when you get all those parts and i will break down the process for you. We will get that honda running like new again. I see you ordered the header gaskets. I would suggest holding on to those and try the muffler to header gasket first. Sometimes those header flange bolts can snap. And if those gaskets arent leaking i wouldnt mess with them. See if changing the one between header and muffler solves the popping first. That one is very easy to change.

So just went to go ride the four wheeler seem like it was running fine except when I would decelerate and downshift it would want to cut off unless I gave it gas. Than I realized that my carburetor is leaking, any idea what this is? And also I’m glad that I ordered a new one and all the parts because I definitely just wanna replace it but just wondering what this could be from?