Logan410

400 ex Throttle won’t engage at all

54 minutes ago, Logan410 said:

So just went to go ride the four wheeler seem like it was running fine except when I would decelerate and downshift it would want to cut off unless I gave it gas. Than I realized that my carburetor is leaking, any idea what this is? And also I’m glad that I ordered a new one and all the parts because I definitely just wanna replace it but just wondering what this could be from?

That symptom sounds like its running lean. Do you feel it getting real hot? Cooking your leg? Where is the gas leaking from? There is a bowl gasket that could leak. Or if its coming out the tubes under it that could be a sticking float. Could be the fuel line leaking. Which should be solved with that new line.

Stuck float, dirty needle valve, or bowl drain screw is loose. Give the carb a good tap with a screw driver handle and see if it stops. If it does its a sticking float. Either way if its getting really hot i would suggest riding it alot less until the new carb comes in. You risk burning it up running it lean like im sure it is from the sounds of it.

Hey all the parts came in I have the carburetor and the fuel line and throttle cable. I’ve watched some videos but just reaching out on how to remove that old carburetor and install the new one

Dang that was fast! Sweet! So go ahead and remove the plastics and gas tank for starters. If you need help with that let me know. Should just need a 10mm socket and a flat tip screw driver to get at the little plastic clips.

Also noticed this was loose here. I would assume it plugs in the side of part that comes out the air filter. What is it?

DE310A92-FFFD-4A85-9C38-1ADFF5207EC5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Logan410 said:

Also noticed this was loose here. I would assume it plugs in the side of part that comes out the air filter. What is it?

DE310A92-FFFD-4A85-9C38-1ADFF5207EC5.jpeg

Yes it plugs into the side of the intake tube. The hole with the clamp on it. It is essebtially a catch can. One end is the crank case vent tube goes into the engine case and vents crank case pressure into the expansion chamber. The other end puts those gasses back into your intake for the motor to ingest and re-burn.

Got the throttle cable in up top, not sure how to do the bottom part and also not exactly sure what these two hoses are. Feeling good I got some accomplished but need help lol

C3AD508F-CB01-4B50-BD8F-DD2FCAE3FC98.jpeg

37C3A4CC-A660-45F1-BBB1-4A0FE1CE429D.jpeg

5B1B878C-ED35-49D6-9614-F5DC231387F8.jpeg

See the threaded hole on the top right of the carb?  That's where the end of the cable goes.  Unscrew the bottom nut on the cable and allow it to drop away a bit.   Now lift the throttle arm to full throttle and slip the barrel end of cable into the slot.  Put the cable inner through the slot on the top right and screw the throttle adjuster down into the carb.  put the nut back on under the piece on the carb.  Now mind you this is all done aftet correctly routing the cable.

• Like 1

Alrighty. Now were talking. We got pictures lol. Last picture. That isnt correct. Its close though. So what you are gunna want to do is screw that threaded piece into the housing. Take the other end and route it in front of the handle bars and down near where the steering stem meets the frame. There will be a small little loop of metal to run it through. It will then go under the gas tank and into the top of the carb. I am gunna take your other pictures and draw on them so i will post back with those.

• Like 1

Ok the first hose(circled in red) that is your upper half carb vent. It needs to stay open. The best way to do this is to route it like i drew in blue. That little sleeve is big enough to fit both in there and it wraps around through it and dangles free from there. The second one is your carb bowl drain tube. That just routes down in between your swing arm and frame. Should come out under the quad and just end down there. That is for if you have to drain the fuel from the carb it can safely run out the bottom and not on anything hot where it could potentially catch fire.

C3AD508F-CB01-4B50-BD8F-DD2FCAE3FC98.thumb.jpeg.1d82ea9e27525d8ee5fa0ae745b7753a.jpeg

• Like 1

Now for the bad news. Not really just has to be removed. The carb has to come off the engine to be threaded onto the other end of the throttle cable. The side with the 90° bend has threads and nut on it. You will need to spin the carb onto those threads in the hole on top of the carb body. Usually what i do is take the side cover off(black plastic 2 phillips screws). From there you can see how far you thread on. You want the throttle cable 90° piece sticking through it about 1 full thread worth. This kinda sucks. You gotta spin the carb around and around usually like 5 or 6 times.

I searched through my build pictures and found this. The loop where you run your throttle cable is circled.

20181225_224019.jpg

I appreciate all the pictures and help. I will get back to it tomorrow and tried to get it finished. It did seem as if the nut wouldn’t fit into the housing by the throttle cause it seemed to not be a Honda one. I didn’t really try to much I will Try again tomorrow. Thank you for all the help 

Just now, Logan410 said:

I appreciate all the pictures and help. I will get back to it tomorrow and tried to get it finished. It did seem as if the nut wouldn’t fit into the housing by the throttle cause it seemed to not be a Honda one. I didn’t really try to much I will Try again tomorrow. Thank you for all the help 

No problem bud! Yeah i was alittle worried about that. It may require a factory throttle housing to work. That one is definetly not factory. Honestly almost looks like its off a chinese quad........

I know this isn’t a specific kind apart but it is off Amazon and says it will fit the Honda, will it work? I just wanna order something that’ll get here quicker

67DE33A0-8F71-414B-AA60-244371EAB2DA.png

Honestly with this part i would go cheap and fast too lol. The carb is one thing. But i dont have an oem throttle housing and its just fine. If it says it fits you just gotta take the word for it. But looking at it the threaded part looks like the right size.

I ordered the part I’m still going to try to get it all connected and then just unconnected from the top and replace the part when it comes in. My big problem is trying to get it connected to the carb. I watched a video on it and how they bring the cable under the part and then connected in that little hole but I can’t get it to save my life

7 hours ago, Logan410 said:

I ordered the part I’m still going to try to get it all connected and then just unconnected from the top and replace the part when it comes in. My big problem is trying to get it connected to the carb. I watched a video on it and how they bring the cable under the part and then connected in that little hole but I can’t get it to save my life

Are you talking about threading it on? Or getting the barrel into the hole on the throttle arm? The best way to get the barrel in is hold the throttle in wide open position and use a small pair of needle nose. It should drop right in. But in all honesty you may be better off to remove it up top to give you more length on the cable. Hate to burst your bubble but it wont be rideable until you get the right throttle housing. Without the cable being held in place it will move all over the place and not work at all.

Yea I wasn’t going to go out and ride it just wanted to get it hooked up down. Going to try the pliers. Posting a video also

Yep remove it from the throttle housing. It will give you more cable length to work with. Should make it alot easier down at the bottom. Cable routing looks spot on though! And its threaded in good!