LedFTed

KY Derby

bet another $6.oo this year. 1 pick came in 5th. the other 2 are still running. 80-1 shot won the derby. around 14,800 for a $6.oo bet, round-about.

the horses name, Find The Gold. ya almost have to bet on that. the news yesterday said the derby was going off at 7:25. i shoulda fact checked that. i only had 8 mins to place a bet. the news,, ya gotta trust them. v NOT.

Looked like the Louisiana Derby horse , who I was pulling for , was too big and ran out of gas at the end , looked like a Clydesdale >>>>>  the horse that won made a great finish, came from like dead last to first with a powerful burst of speed  ---- I enjoyed the races , started watching  about 2:00 

one year a guy paid only 14,000 for a horse that won the derby, another Cinderella story, an that jockey who came from your state, won two or three years in a row, what a hoot. Calvin or something. i dont think for a while a horse has won that was less then 8-1 ;  least it dont happen very often.

so many horses to pick from=better payoffs. the derby i attended, rain sleet was when Sunday Silence won. i was in the infield. been there a few times, i quit when it got to 20 dollars to get there.

Churchill Downs, home territory. had many an adventure there. once on the back side, i drank too much, an by the time the derby came around, i was taking a nap on a cot. Jacky Whitley's dad was an out rider at the track, an her brother died at Turfway Park, near Cincinnati, when his pinto slid under a simi, or something around a curve on the road. Mark Whitley. RIP

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

one year a guy paid only 14,000 for a horse that won the derby, another Cinderella story, an that jockey who came from your state, won two or three years in a row, what a hoot. Calvin or something. i dont think for a while a horse has won that was less then 8-1 ;  least it dont happen very often.

so many horses to pick from=better payoffs. the derby i attended, rain sleet was when Sunday Silence won. i was in the infield. been there a few times, i quit when it got to 20 dollars to get there.

Churchill Downs, home territory. had many an adventure there. once on the back side, i drank too much, an by the time the derby came around, i was taking a nap on a cot. Jacky Whitley's dad was an out rider at the track, an her brother died at Turfway Park, near Cincinnati, when his pinto slid under a simi, or something around a curve on the road. Mark Whitley. RIP

I read that the horse that won was bought for $30,000 not long ago  and that was only the second race it ever race in 

That jockey and horse did a fine job of working thru the traffic 

I was reading this morning , that the jockey that won the Derby  Sonny Leone turned down a White House visit , he said " If i wanted to see a horse's a$$ , I'd would have run second " 

• Haha 4

the way he steered that horse, it was like he just pulled the horse over a lane without breaking stride. that was a great ride. the horse came from mercury farms in cynthia ky. i should have read what was posted on the hunting forum, couple of the guys there know the trainer.

• Like 1

'Ted ', that was a great race , I think that was the best Derby I ever witnessed ------ Sonny did a great job of steering the horse , from the far outside gate , thru the traffic from dead last , and the thing that really impressed me ,  if you watch the horse's head , that horse had his head cocked and  was looking to the leader the whole way after he made the lane change , he was like " your a$$ is mine " --- I read that the horse is mean to other horse ---- I'm sure you met a few cocky horses in your day 

I got so many stories on horse racing , I lived 3 blocks from the New Orleans Fair Ground till I was 11 and even after we moved   spent a lot of time in the track , my uncle was retired from New Orleans Police , he was head of the detectives , so when he retired he got a cool job as the guy that checks your wrist stamp to access the grandstands from general public , and that's  where they sold the corn beef sandwiches  or corn beef and cabbage plates , never had to pay to go to the grandstands , wink , wink ---- my first wife's uncles and brother  are trainers and owners , one uncle has a exact replica of the Fair Grounds track on his land in Folsom , Louisiana for training ---- I had an apartment which was a separate house behind my Mom and Dad's , when I made 18 ,  I wanted independence so I moved out , my Dad said don't let the door hit you in the butt ,  he cocl blocked me and rented the apartment to his  jockey friends  when they were in town so I wouldn't come back , I enjoyed hearing the stories  from the jockey of all the cheatin and double crossing  going on ,  LOL  

• Like 1

I thought Sonny was kind of hard on the whip during the race 

Wonder if ,  him not wanting to go to the white house got him that suspension , LOL 

• Like 1

Well;  My 1st bat[whip], is  31 5/8" long. with out seeing welps on the horse, i cant tell ya if he used it excessively. i only left a welp on a horse once. after about 5 or so days it disappeared.

you can show the horse the whip, act like your going to use it, an that works, hit on your boot to make a popping sound. you also dont have to hit the horse very hard.

then again, you can cut a horse with a whip.

i was told if you hit a hose with the handle part of the whip on top of the pole of the head,  the very top between the ears, u could kill a horse.

that end of a whip could very easily break a finger or an arm bone. i think it is possible.

how many times ya think he tapped that horse? i might have seen 5 or 6, if he connected. even then it was three to 5 strides,, after the last turn.

• Like 1

We got a race this weekend , May 21 , the Preakness Stakes , but Rich Strike is not going to be in it , bummer !!! 

17 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

'Ted ' I bet you'll like this video 

didnt see a mark on that horse from a whip. an, i have used a long shank like that to walk some horses. [leash for the uninformed].. horses dont have leashes. a shank keeps them for hurting people, hurting themselves. stated that backwards, the horse comes 1st., then the rider, then the people around the horse. those that dont know, shouldnt be around a race horse. they get high strung crazy, when they get fit. ya gotta learn how to move around them. if ya dont, blood will flow, or bones will be broke. not necessarily the horses, not at all..

looks like that horse had a tongue tie, when it ran.

that horses is a distance horse, the Preakness is too short.

i used to bet on thundercloud at churchills last race of the season. a 2 mile race. seems like E won it a few years in a row. most the horses would half track em at the beginning of the race. u would think no way this horse could win, 18 or so lengths behind, but at the end of the race, E would make up that ground an win. i sometimes wondered if that wasnt a fix, so the trainers could make a bit of money to get to the next meet. still dont know.

i'd like to see the bit used.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

Wow , things were different back then , video quaility suckked and only 6 hoses in the race  ::

Was only 5 horses in the Belmont , secretariat by 25 lengths or more  and broke the time record by almost 3 seconds  

Where: Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore

When: Saturday, May 21

Post Time: 6:50 p.m. ET

TV Coverage Start Time: 2 p.m. ET

TV and Live Stream: NBC, NBCSports.com, NBC Sports App and Peacock  (pre-race coverage on CNBC from 2-4 p.m. ET)

Prize Pool: $1.5 million ($900,000 to the winner)

1. Simplification  6-1

2. Creative Minister 10-1

3. Fenwick 50-1

4. Secret Oath 9-2

5. Early Voting 7-2

6. Happy Jack 30-1

7. Armagnac 12-1

8. Epicenter 6-5

9. Skippylongstocking 20-1

i watched it, even bet it. $3.oo. i didnt lose much. i didnt see the trifecta, dont know what it payed. a McDouble, cost $2.99.., so i lost a cheese burger on my bet. actually i bought a McDouble, before the race, an for a change, it was hot. so, i won a bet at Micky D's, 1/1, but lost on the Preakness. Maybe the Belmont race, will be hot.

Edited by LedFTed