Bweston95

03 rancher 350

Hey guys new to the page I’m trying to figure out why I don’t have spark I bought this bike a month or so ago it ran when I bought it brought it home and went to unload it out of the truck and it was just cranking and cranking wouldn’t start.
Finally got it to fire rode it around the yard the next day parked it put new brakes on the back and now for some reason no spark Iv been over everything more than once still can’t find the issue, I just put a new cdi box, starter Solenoid, pulse generator and a new spark plug coil wire still nothing ( new plug as well ) 
When I bought it the guy did tell me that the starter button didn’t work had to jump it from the starter solenoid started fine at his house got it home different story. 

thanks in advance

Did you contact seller? Maybe there’s a little bug he knows how to deal with.

You’re going to need a Honda service manual —preferably printed or a good picture of the wiring diagram. 
did you put in all OEM parts? If were me I’d put all the OEM parts back in it and start over.

• Like 1

I did contact him and he seemed clueless on it like it never happened to him I’m gonna try to put a new key switch and kill switch and go from there 

The regulator/rectifier is one of the most common things that will go bad and cause no fire on these machines.

• Like 2

New: you have the kill switch in run? The service manual has diagnostics for this switch 

Gotta use OEM parts, because aftermarket switches and modules can add to confusion.

best move is to buy a printed service manual or get a good picture of the schematic.

otherwise, buying a replacement OEM ignition switch not a terrible idea but probably not the issue. 

does it have a (recoil) pull starter?

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

No problem. Sounds like a little bit of a project. I think we can help you along. 

check the OEM parts finders at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. They have good prices, free shipping and great Illustrated Parts Breakdowns 

i'll ask this question again, was all these parts purchased from honda ?, or ebay or amazon ?. DO NOT BUY PARTS OFF EBAY OR AMAZON FOR THESE ATVS !. unless you are 100% sure they are indeed oem honda parts ?..why you ask ?, BECAUSE SELLERS ON THESE PLACES CLAIM THEY '' FIT '' ?, BUT ARE MADE IN CHINA !!!.

• Like 1

I got everything from Amazon everything fit perfect just still no spark the only 2 things I haven’t changed is they key switch and kill switch 

when I turn my key on non of the lights come on the dash but when I jump the Solenoid The neutral light and oil temp light comes on just no spark

Hi: When you say jump the solenoid are you jumping across the 2 large terminals? --- if so move the small red wire to the other large terminal post.

Yes I take a screw driver and lay it across the negative and positive on the starter solenoid cranks the motor over the lights come on the dash but no spark 

• Like 1

Did the lights work the few times it was running?

Hi: Is the small red wire on the solenoid terminal post with the large wire going to the positive post of the battery? If not put the red wire on the solenoid terminal that is going to the positive of the battery.

16 hours ago, Bweston95 said:

I got everything from Amazon everything fit perfect just still no spark the only 2 things I haven’t changed is they key switch and kill switch 

when I turn my key on non of the lights come on the dash but when I jump the Solenoid The neutral light and oil temp light comes on just no spark

then chances are very high , you bought china junk,

13 hours ago, Bweston95 said:

Yes I take a screw driver and lay it across the negative and positive on the starter solenoid cranks the motor over the lights come on the dash but no spark 

How bout posting a pic of the solenoid wiring? Unlikely wires are improperly connected. Don’t be moving wires around unless you know exactly what you’re doing.

i would put all the OEM stuff (presuming it was all OEM); let’s go back and start over. 

check your fuzes. 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 9:50 AM, Bweston95 said:

I put a brand new one on still nothing 

You mentioned new parts put on by the previous owner and then you , were these parts original Honda parts ( either new or used ) or where they amazon / e-bay chinese knock offs , that after stuff is very hit or miss , mostly miss ----- 

starter solenoids for a 300 cost $80 from Honda , I found some on e-bay for $5 each , bought 3 , got 5 starts out of all three solenoids combined , 2 solenoids never  worked at all , 

• Like 1

Hey sorry for the late reply I have been busy trying to get caught up on yard work I got the spark issue semi figured out I went threw everything so many times fuse box idk how many times but never pulled every fuse tell this weekend my main fuse connections was corroded got it cleaned up the best I could starts fine when it’s cold but when the engine is hot I don’t get no spark, should I go back to my oem cdi box? 

Edited by Bweston95
  • Like 1

I would put all the O.E.M.  parts back on in place of the after market junk and start over trouble shooting from that point. 

• Like 2

That’s what I’m planning on doing tomorrow just confused as to why it has spark when it’s cold but after riding and getting heat in the motor I have no spark tell it cools off 

• Like 1