My 450s has been having problems with the front brakes. When i pull the the brake lever the first time nothing happens but if I pump it it will brake. I have adjusted the brakes and bled them. Adjusting seemed to help a bit but didn't fix it. The pads are wore quite a bit but I don't think they are to the service limit yet. I wonder if the master cylinder is bad but I don't know. TIA

adjust the star wheels out ( if they are not seized ? ), adjust the brake shoes all the way out until the brake drum has a light drag on it ?, then start with the bleeding process, you must do all 4 start wheels this way !. are the wheel cylinders seized ?, if they are seized ?, then you must fix this before you go bleeding and adjusting the brake shoes.

• Like 1

All the adjusters were seized. The pistons weren't tho. I had to take the drums of to unseize the adjusters and made sure the pistons moved free. I'm done for tonight so ill report tomorrow

• Like 2

10 hours ago, farmerbrown said:

When i pull the the brake lever the first time nothing happens but if I pump it it will brake. . I wonder if the master cylinder is bad but I don't know. TIA

To test the master cylinder is very easy , you pinch the rubber brake hose right by the fitting coming off the master cylinder ,  the best way is hose pinch  pliers , if you don't have a pair of hose pinch pliers , then use vise grips , either fold over a piece of rubber or cardboard to put around the hose so the teeth of the pliers doesn't damage the rubber hose ---- with the hose pinched , it should get a hard lever immediately and hold the pressure with out the lever pegging out against the hand grip  --- bleeding all the air out the system can be hard 

• Like 1

I adjusted and bled them again and they are working pretty good. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, farmerbrown said:

I adjusted and bled them again and they are working pretty good. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time

you did not do anything wrong ?..it's what you didn't do !..lol. once those adjuster wheels seize up ?, you can not move the brake shoes out to the brake drums in order to bleed the brakes the correct way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1