My new project. I hope some on here have knowledge of these ATC90s because I may need advice on rebuilding it. My dad rode this one as a kid and he would like it to run and I need something to work on in my spare time. So I've got myself a project. The gearshift moves freely and the neutral indicator works but I can't get it to turn over with just the pull rope. I'm gonna get it in the shop tomorrow and start tearing it apart

20220515_144620.jpg

Edited by farmerbrown
  • Like 7

I'm getting it torn apart. It looks like ill need new rings alternator, tires, rear axle, and gaskets and more that I can't think of right now. The jug looks good and the piston looks good. The transmission seems to work fine. The picture showing the Philips head bolt that is stripped out I can't get my Dremel down there to cut a slot to use a flathead screw driver and I need some ideas on how to get that out

20220516_155803.jpg

20220516_155943.jpg

20220516_160100.jpg

20220516_155741.jpg

Do you know what a hammer impact driver is ?  Looks like this , you hammer it whilst putting turning pressure on it -------   And get some  Japanese industrial Phillips bits for the future --------     looks pretty rusted up in there 

Here is the pic I forgot to post up image.png

• Like 1

I second what Fish said, the hammer impact driver works quite well along with the JIS bits.

Put the Phillips tip in the screw head and tap it with hammer to re-shape before putting tip in the impact and then turn impact to left to take up slack before hitting with hammer.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm done tearing apart for tonight. I got that screw out with a small battery impact driver. Believe it or not the alternator works so we may not have to replace that. Im just about shot. 

20220516_201838.jpg

• Like 3

I got the engine off and am working on rewiring it. I put some vinegar in the gas tank and it uncovered some holes I couldn't see before (see pic). Can this be sealed with gas tank liner or will I have to take extra measures. They are about the size of a pin head.20220517_153903.jpg

20220517_153819.jpg

20220517_153840.jpg

I would think some Red Kote would seal that up.  You might smear some JB weld on the bottom side, let it harden, THEN do the tank liner.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the advice. I got the wiring harness tested and repaired and washed and prepped for painting the frame today.

The local radiator shops in the New Orleans area will dip and coat my tanks , the one I use  still has a caustic tank , they dip it  , all the paint comes off , then they apply the liner inside , they use to charge $90 , bet they went up with the plandemic and inflation 

• Like 1

when ya get JB Weld, if ya do, get the slow drying kind, seems to hold better. sets in 4-6 hours, full cure 15-24 hours. i've used the fast cure, i dont like it as much. wont buy any more.

On 5/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, Fishfiles said:

Do you know what a hammer impact driver is ?  Looks like this , you hammer it whilst putting turning pressure on it -------   And get some  Japanese industrial Phillips bits for the future --------     looks pretty rusted up in there 

Here is the pic I forgot to post up image.png

i got an old craftsman like that.

• Like 1

I having trouble getting this front axle apart. If I understand the manual properly those spacers on each side of the hub should just slide off. Well they don't. I've tried heat wd40 a pipe wrench to try to twist it and I'm trying to figure out a way to use the shop press but I can't get it to budge. I can't get an pictures to upload now so I'll try again in a bit

What year is it ?  You say it is it a 90 , could it be a 70 ?  I don't see a print for  a 90 , but do see a 70 ..... 

47 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

What year is it ?  You say it is it a 90 , could it be a 70 ?  I don't see a print for  a 90 , but do see a 70 ..... 

The vin says 1976 ATC90 and the plastics say ATC90 but out of curiosity where did you see 70

Your right ,  1976 ATC90 >>>   I was not going back that far , 1976 is as far back  as Partzilla goes with ATCs and 90 was the only one that year   , 1978 was the first year for  the 70 

Here are a copy of prints , quite a few spots it could be froze up at 

image.pngimage.png 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Yep that's a good read. In school I did a research report on the history of Honda atvs and I thought I had read every thing there was a bout atcs but I must have missed that one.

I am working on the front axle now. There appears to be a spacer on each ide of the hub to keep the hub centered and those spacers should slide right off but they rusted onto the axle.

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Your right ,  1976 ATC90 >>>   I was not going back that far , 1976 is as far back  as Partzilla goes with ATCs and 90 was the only one that year   , 1978 was the first year for  the 70 

Here are a copy of prints , quite a few spots it could be froze up at 

image.pngimage.png 

• Like 1

That 90 is a good project , first year is always collectable 

I have told this story before , you may not have heard it  or have not read it in your research for your report in school , but it is such a cool story to me being a equipment mechanic who really likes Takeuchi machinery and motorcycles :

After WWII , Japan was in need of a form of cheap transportation , a guy  named Takeuchi started putting air cooled engines on bicycles , he became good at it and  caught Honda's eye , Honda hired him as a research and development guy to work on all terrain machines , he designed and built that 90 you got there as his first attempt that made it to market  , Honda was always very competitive for racing and still is , Honda  wanted to win the Baja 500 race badly at the time  and they put Takeuchi to task , the rest is history , he made the ATC250R ,TRX250R,   ATC350X and a few other legends , and won Baja races like  8 years in a row and were reining winners in their class till ATC were outlawed ---- Takeuchi went on to make some of the finest small construction equipment out there , last I heard he was still alive at 102 years old and if you look at Honda Corporate's  personal line up , Takeuchi's name sakes are still there --- I actually got to shake his hand twice , once  in Las Vegas at the World of Concrete convention about 30 years ago  and then in Atalanta at Takeuchi assembly plant `and both times I shook his hand it was equipment related and  I had no idea who he really was at the time , and now think more highly of his achievement with ATVs 

• Like 2

I've heard about Tacheuchi but I didn't know the whole story about him.  

I'm getting same of the wheels painted on the inside after wire wheeling them. They are pretty pitted but not right on the bead so I think they'll hold air. This is what she looks like right now.

20220519_175055.jpg

• Like 2