Destructo

Valve Seat Cutting

Ive lapped the valves for a VERY long time and i still have very poor contact between valves and seats.
I think the seats need to be cut.
No light comes through but i didnt do a leak down test on it yet as i dont have the time after work to assemble some makeshift means to do so.

The manual has 6 different cutters required, 2 sizes of each- 32 degrees, 45 degrees and 60 degrees, with a 5.5mm shaft.

I can find nowhere that sells the required sized cutters so I'm stuck asking you guys:

What tool kit do you guys use to cut your valve seats? or do yall just simply outsource it to a machine shop and they do the typical 30/45/70 that most places do without referring to the manufacturer spec.

Does it make much of a difference if the cutter is a couple mm to big? if i recall correctly its 32 mm intake and 35mm exhaust. 32 degrees is a very odd angle and ive never seen an engine with such a valve seat angle. 

the closest i can find is this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Valve-SEAT-Cutter-Carbide-Tipped/dp/B07X3RJ74S/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1RCKXLS95LWTY&keywords=honda+valve+seat+cutter&qid=1653225195&sprefix=honda+valve+seat+cutte%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-6

and even thats not the correct kit for the trx500... its just "Close" but the sizes are slightly wrong and it doesnt have a 32 degree.

....it should not take 2 hours of lapping to be left with a patchy surface after being blued...

Did you try a rechargeable drill on the valve stem and coarse grinding compound ---- then pour gasoline into the intake and exhaust ports to check for leaks 

G+H ATV will work that head for you , they will do whatever it needs :

https://www.ghdiscountatvsupply.com/?fbclid=IwAR2jHyHUu2dENxzcDvenytoGwO0HqnhXbQ_PsvnT2VBGfVy6bs3WIPFGius

I am in fort mcmurray, alberta. it would likely be VERY expensive to send the head down to them 😞 our government has made accomplishing pretty much anything extremely costly.

I did not try that yet, I'm not sure if my compound is coarse... it could be fine, it doesn't say on the tub.

Ill give that a shot though on my next days off.

• Like 1

I have Clover grinding paste , comes two grits in two cans , course on one side and fine on the other 

image.png