Popa Fry

2000 TRX400fw Forman Please Help need crank & rod

I have an engine tore apart for a rebuild. Previous owner had oil line brake Was not run much after .?? I am new to posting on a forum I tried once before  receiced no replies it was for a different forum. I am sure I did something wrong or don't know where to see the replies. I am 71 years young and not that savvy . That said I have this motor tore apart completely and the case separated ( just a note I can rebuild and any car engine made.. but. new to ATV motors). the only thing I have found bad is the rod end where the wrist/piston pin attaches to the piston . It was galled so bad I had a lot of trouble removing it ..The motor is not locked up but there is no way to check the rod bearings as they are attached to the crank. There lies my Problem somewhat . I have tried to purchase a rebuild kit for a 2000 Honda TRX400FW Forman and They DO NOT Exist as for as I can tell. Please someone direct me to where I can get the crank and rod I even Tried e-bay knowing I could get had!! but there is not one to be found. if I don't find what I need all I have is a pile of junk.. I would like to get this fixed Any Help Appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help ( If someone on this forum has one I Will buy it !

Welcome aboard.

Vince at Mr Crankshaft will fix you right up, and is one of the rare instances where you get good, cheap, and fast.  

Post up any other questions you have.  We like to talk Hondas, and will do our best to help you fix your rig up the best (and cheapest) way possible.

Thank you men so much I was at my wits end.  His place is in Kentucky and I live in Georgetown Kentucky ... I will reach out to him today and will let you know what happens . Again Thanks I now have hope i will get this back together in the best possible condition. zny ideas where to get the most complete Gasket set would be nice if it contains all o rings and seals. Thanks.    P.F..

• Like 2

I have never seen a  gasket kit that contains all the seals , those seals you need will have to be bought individually from Honda ---- gasket kit I would go thru G+H Discount ATV 

https://www.ghdiscountatvsupply.com/quality-complete-full-gasket-kit-for-the-1995-2003-honda-trx-400-fourtrax-foreman-atvs/

Vince use to be able to upgrade you to a Vesrah connecting rod for a few dollars more , which is arguably an upgrade , ask him about that 

Thank you i have now opened up a new resource for myself into  ATV repair. It's nice to find people helping people .  Maybe some day i will be able to help someone also. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

Thank you i have now opened up a new resource for myself into  ATV repair. It's nice to find people helping people .  Maybe some day i will be able to help someone also. 

True , we have  a  good group of people that hang out here on ATVHonda , even though we are from all different walks of life , ATVs are a common denominator and most are willing to help 

So what is your speciality in life ??  I am a heavy equipment mechanic / operator  by trade ....  I have a couple of 450s and 300s , do a little work with them around the house  , most they are just for playing in the mud ..... what is your used for ??? 

Hunting some light farming ...Retired mechanical Eng. CAD Designer.. I worked with father in automotive Garage . have rebuilt everything from 1964 235 straight line  6 cyl  ( first one) and 4-6-8 Flat Head engines  a Plymouth Race engine and one 570 Milk Truck engine all Gas engines.

some service work on personal boat motors. ..Had small Kawaski 220  wanted something bigger found a Polaris 500 needed a lot of work but the engine was good  when finished  got an offer for $ 1000.00 profit ..Sold IT.   Found good  Honda rebuilt carb replaced rear axle and all rear brake components  good little unit but i wanted a Honde 400 when i found one i could afford it has a blown engine  Back to first post. 

• Like 1

update    i talked to Vince at MrCrankshaft   very friendly and helpful. The Price was more than expected  $329.99  this includes  up grade rod. but i look to ship it today  Thanks  Men...

• Like 1

A lot cheaper (and better) than a new OEM crank.

I think you’ll be really pleased with Vince’s work.  He’s a good guy

• Like 2

Very good @Popa Fry.

I saw ya posted over there and typically no one responds or they give half-assed advice.

Serious wrenchers over here. 

Keep us updated PF! 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

@pop fry , just some light info for future reference , a trx450fm/s/es crank is the same crank as the trx400fm !.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popa Fry said:

i have been told that the lower 450 is basically the same with a different upper .

Thanks

you are correct. lower engine is the same, only thing they changed is the cylinder size, and the piston size.

• Like 1

Another thing ,   the 450 and the 400 have different heads 

• Like 1

i have already reworked the head   bore   86.22mm    .22 mm over and faced the valves new piston  everything looks great..   Thanks fo everyone's help it is appreciated.

44 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

After this project i will be a LOT  more knowledgeable than wen i started... lol

you are deff in great hands to learn from here !!. i started doing this 30 yrs ago, mostly self taught, it takes years to learn the skill of doing this kinda work.

working on auto engines gives me a great background .  I do have one new question  when putting the engine back together do you use any thing on the gaskets  ?? someone suggested  silicone but I don't like that idea . give me your thoughts  Thanks..

No. Gaskets stay dry.

In some engines there is no gasket, and in that case you only use Hondabond or Yamabond

On your 400 use gaskets, and leave them dry.  I tried to get “extra sealing” using Hondabond and gaskets on the last one I did and just made a huge mess.  

48 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

I believe i have the surfaces properly cleaned and i will put them on dry   Thanks  

install dry only !. just ask jeep ^^^ how that worked out...AFTER I TOLD HIM HOW TO DO IT ?!..LOL.

• Haha 1