teamroper

Idler Gear removal

Howdy guys. My starter gear is making a loud noise only when I start it. The starter is new and is working correctly. It sounds like the Idler gear. Can I get the Idler gear out without removing the Engine?  Thanks for any reply.

Edited by teamroper

17 minutes ago, teamroper said:

Howdy guys. My starter gear is making a loud noise only when I start it. The starter is new and is working correctly. It sounds like the Idler gear. Can I get the Idler gear out without removing the Engine?  Thanks for any reply.

Hi , it would help to know the year and model of what your working on 

i can't get that video to play ----  wonder if what you are hearing is the one way bearing going bad 

Sorry about that not sure what is wrong. I have replaced the front one way bearing with no sound change. Yes, it could be the rear one way bearing. The big Idler gear for the starter may have a chipped tooth. I am not sure if I need to pull the motor. I guess when I am replacing the Idler gear may as well replace that one way too.

you do not need to pull motor in order to replace parts in the back. you will need to remove the stator cover, and flywheel in order to change out the parts.

Ready to remove the flywheel with special puller tool. I am replacing the support bearing for the starter since the bearings fell out. I am having trouble getting the bearing race out of the rear cover. 

Do you know how to get it out?

I posted a photo of the bearing. I am not sure if it went thru. I don't do well with this posting stuff.