Brentquad

Squeaky front CV axle, should I replace?

Just took my new (to me) 2002 Honda TRX 450 Foreman FM out for a rip. Noticed loud squeaking sound over bumps. Got off I’d pushed down on front end and sounded like it is coming from Front left CV axle…. Should I replace? And if so, is it difficult? Thanks!

Probably a shock bushing.  I'd hose down the upper and lower shock mounts, as well as ball joints with some light spray oil, see if it helps.

Might be a bearing as well.  If the CV boots aren't torn it is unlikely to be a problem with the actual CV.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, Jeepwm69. I may have jumped the gun and ordered a CV axle ($200 ouch), but don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere thinking I wish I changed that out when I had a chance. I had a Honda 350 Fourtrax for 4 years with no issues other than brakes and regular maintenance. Bought this foremen and seems like is in great shape, but was squeaking over potholes etc. Now back at the shop I bounce up and down on it and it's silent.... I will spray down the shock mounds and see if ball joints take some grease and see what happens. I'm hearing that shock mounts and ball joints are common culprits. It just sounded like the squeak was coming from the cv axle. Thanks for your feedback.

31 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well having extra parts is never a bad idea.

spec when they are discontinued !!..lol.

• Like 2

the 2000es 450, i used a needle and put grease in between the CV joints. it worked. it didnt see much water though. could it be the shocks an springs? just curious.

Edited by LedFTed
?