Hey outlaws, i have in my shop from one of the deer hunting buds a 1996 trx400fm that needs the engine looked at. claims it smoked when last ran over 10 yrs ago ?, i '' think '' i asked if it was sunk ?, and he said it may have been ?, if this is the case ?, it will need to be pulled, and gone through.  it will get all new oil seals, cam chain, prob bored over and new piston kit, along with all new gaskets. i have no idea the shape of the crank/rod yet ?, as i have not started the tear down yet ?, but may head out to the shop tonight, and start tearing into it, and see how bad it will be ?. i'm sure it will need a complete engine rebuild. i'll keep this thread up to date as i get into the tear down and rebuild.

• Like 4

update: here's some tear down pics..and again...atv's are not boats !!. this thing is all kinds of nasty in the engine.

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

• Like 4

Yuk hope he will keep it on land after you fix it up....

• Like 1

got the center split, pulled the oil screen, not sure what caused it to vanish ?..lol, but i figure from oil getting too hot ?..not sure..never seen a screen this bad !. called it a night.

IMG_0178.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

update: spent a couple hours last night cleaning parts out, i got most of the cases cleaned, and installed one side of the lower engine with the crank, and tranny all in. waiting on gasket kit, oil seals, cam chain, and carb kit. ordered a first size over shindy piston kit 86.25mm from g&h, when that comes in, i'll run them to my local guy to bore and match piston to cylinder. in the mean time i wait for my parts to come in so i can get the lower engine back together.

• Like 2

update: had to hone the crap outta the cylinder, the local boring guy all of a sudden came down with the flu i was told, who the heck gets the flu in the spring time ??. anyway, spent over an hour honing the cylinder out to match the shindy piston, got it where i wanted it, ran the rings down in the cylinder, hardly no end gap what so ever. got it all back together, motor installed, carb rebuilt , installed the engine, added engine oil, installed battery, cranked her over a few times to get the oil moving, sure enough...IT LIVES AGAIN AFTER SITTING 10 YEARS !. still need to get the exhaust installed, '' fine tune '' the clutch, recheck oil level, then start working on front and rear brakes.

• Like 4

update: yesterday eve'ning, i got the exhaust all back together, ran it for a few min's, she smoked like a freight train, i knew it would !, not because of my cylinder work ?, but the exhaust system had been ran with bad oil rings, it was full of unburnt oil, which means it will smoke for a bit until the exhaust system burns it out. i was told it smoked 10 years ago when they put it to rest, so i knew going in it would smoke. i still have not installed the air box with new air filter, will do that today. have not touched the front or rear brakes yet , not sure he wants me to work on those or not ?, he wont get back to me by cell or text ?. i do not like being ignored when it comes to getting paid !..lol. with no brake work ?, he owes me $ 936.73 for parts i pitched in, and paid for, plus my labor. who's gonna do a complete engine pull, tear down, rebuild, and running for this price ?..no one that i know of !!.

• Like 2

update: finished the air box install tuesday night, i ran into an issue with the filter cage missing from the air box ?, thank goodness i had a spare set back, they are discontinued from honda. i did have to make the rear mounting bracket/tab from some metal, got that done. had to order a fuel petcock, his was trashed big time !. went to work on the brake work for rear, discovered it needed a left handle bar to rear brake cable, his was shot, my local honda dealership had one in stock ( not sure how that took place ?!..lol ) , ran and bought that, then went to autozone for some brake fluid , fuel line, and some small hose clamps, picked all that up, got back to the house, started in on rear brakes, other than the long brake cable ?, it was fairly easy work, finished that, started in on front brakes, oh lord..what a mess this turned out to be !. had to remove the master cylinder, give it a going over, it was seized in the piston bore, and crud out the ying yang inside the master cylinder, fixed all that, went to work the brake lever to build pressure up..i was amazed it built up pressure. i kept adding brake fluid...and something did not seem right ?, 3 times filled it..no solid pressure on lever yet ?,,hmmm..looked over on front left wheel, under it..poured my brake fluid from the drum !..aghhh..means the wheel cylinders are leaking.

Took the brake drum off the backing plate, ONLY TO DISCOVER THERE WERE NO PARTS ATTACHED TO THE BRAKES BACKING PLATE !!!..WTH !!!. pulled right front brake drum off to check it as well, sure enough..SAME DANG THING..NOTHING BUT A BACKING PLATE WITH JUST THE WHEEL CYLINDERS ?!!..OMG...now what do i do ?, had to make a call to catfish, checked to see if he had some front brake parts on hand, yep..he did, but it was pouring rain at that time, i waited until about 7pm to head out there and grab them. got back, started tearing them down to give them a complete over haul. got all that done, bleed left front, right front would not bleed when i opend the bleeder valve..hmmm ?. line must be stopped up between the brake drum and master cylinder. i pulled the line off the right front wheel cylinder, grabbed my '' go too spec wire '' worked it up inside the line carefully, then fluid started to run out, problem solved !. got that side bled,working after i set the brake shoes of course on both sides before i started bleeding them. finally got the front wheels back on at 11:45pm, called it a day/night, i'm beat. only thing i like is getting the fuel tank petcock installed on the fuel tank when it comes in, get the body work back on, adjust the front toe in/out, tires are all crooked !.put the battery hold down bracket back on, install seat, and i should be done with this project.

• Like 2

Gah I hate drum brakes. 

I still have to try to rig up a puller to get the drums off this 85 250A.  They're stuck on, and I'm pretty sure the adjusters are frozen and that's what I'm not getting any braking (if I clamp one side or the other and pump the master the brakes on the other side will work).

But I haven't been able to get the drums off to even look at the adjuster or the wheel cylinders.

I got my buddy's 450 brakes done last week; put some 500 knuckles and disc brakes on it!  Problem solved!

12 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I still have to try to rig up a puller to get the drums off this 85 250A.  They're stuck on, and I'm pretty sure the adjusters are frozen and that's what I'm not getting any braking (if I clamp one side or the other and pump the master the brakes on the other side will work).

But I haven't been able to get the drums off 

I

Originally, firt pic ,  had two ears , doubled it up to 4 ears in the second pic , works with either a fulcrum screw or slide hammer , front or rear 

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_5279.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Originally, firt pic ,  had two ears , doubled it up to 4 ears in the second pic , works with either a fulcrum screw or slide hammer , front or rear 

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_5279.JPG

these would work if the axle does not move ?, if you are working on say..a 4wd front axle drive system, all you will do is push the drive axle in, and not pull the hub. i made a drum/hub puller out of an old trx300 2wd hub, used a broken c-clamp screw part, i just slide it on over the studs, put the wheel lug nuts on like i am mounting the wheel, then screw in the center part. BUT !!..this design will not work on a 4wd front drive system. so in this case, i leave the axle nut on the hub, remove the two 8mm bolts that hold the drum to the hub, and then pull just the drum off, most times this works. i still have to work the drum off with screw drivers now and then when the hub is seized to the brake shoes.from stuck wheel adjusters.or stuck wheel cylinders.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Gah I hate drum brakes. 

But I haven't been able to get the drums off to even look at the adjuster or the wheel cylinders.

I got my buddy's 450 brakes done last week; put some 500 knuckles and disc brakes on it!  Problem solved!

spray some oil down through the adjusters hole, use a pry bar on the studs, work it around until you get the hub to turn, then use a couple large flat head screw drivers around the drum and backing plate, 9-3 o'clock or 12-6 position , sooner or later the drum will come off. keep soaking the drum through the adjuster hole and turning it, sooner or later the drum will come off.

• Like 1

update: well, the fuel petcock o-ring arrived from my order in a big box mind you !!..lol, but the petcock body is no where to be found according to rmatv tracking number ? how do you send a small o-ring in a huge box, it gets here, but yet at the same time, a larger item that weighs more...GETS LOST ??!!..yeah..i let them have an ear full through an email..this part was not cheap !!. got an email back yesterday from someone in sales, said they would send another petcock out next day shipping ?, i did look it up, sure enough, the order is being placed. the first order went through usps...GO FIGURE !!...lord i hate the mail system more than ever these days. this is all that is keeping me from finishing this project.

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

update: GO FIGURE !!...lord i hate the mail system more than ever these days. this is all that is keeping me from finishing this project.

Patience is a virtue !!!  >>> Haste makes waste 

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Patience is a virtue !!!  >>> Haste makes waste 

patience goes out the window when 5 day's goes by, and the tracking number tells you for one, the tracking number has a problem and it does not see where your item is ?, and your item does not move in 5 days. take that patience crap..and stick it !..rofl. this part was $ 88.50, where the o-ring was like 2 dollars ?..yeah..i get the cheap part...they loose the high dollar part ?..or someone stole it ?..lol.