Wheelieking

1998 450es

Hi: Big welcome -- first thing I would say bike doesn't start.

Welcome over here, what 's going on with your 450??

Well first thing a while back had to replace regulator. Then fan started acting up it would run all the time and with the rpms of motor so it would really move air if I got on it haha. Replaced battery then a few days later it just quit. Everytime I turn key on it pops ignition fuse but if I unplug the smaller connector on ecu it doesn't blow fuse when I plug it back in it pops. Then every now and again electric shift wouldn't work but if I just cycle key on and off a time or two it would work fine. Thanks

I know the first thing the pros here are gonna ask, are the parts you have replaced so far oem Honda parts or cheap China ones??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wheelieking said:

Only thing I've put on is a regulator and I can't remember if it was oem or not.

Any idea where you bought it? According to your post you replaced the regulator and then all these other symptoms showed up.  Maybe I misread....

That's true haha could a faulty regulator ruin a ecu. And since I'm new here I must quote my father from years ago. Hondas will last as the rest go fast. Thanks

Have to see what some of the pros have to say.  Do you have the service manual for your model?  If not you can download from the menu, it will have troubleshooting charts and wiring diagrams...that's alot going wrong which may lead to the ecu, it performs quite a few tasks...

I will download it and take a look thanks for the help. I must add the 450 is 22 years old and haven't had a lick of trouble till now so I can't complain a bit

I have the same exact model so know it's a good ATV...

There are some really smart guys on here that I'm sure will take a look, kinda slow tho over the holidays....

Just so ya know an oem stator cost is $172 so if you spent less than that it may not be..... 

10 hours ago, Wheelieking said:

Well first thing a while back had to replace regulator. Then fan started acting up it would run all the time and with the rpms of motor so it would really move air if I got on it haha. Replaced battery then a few days later it just quit. Everytime I turn key on it pops ignition fuse but if I unplug the smaller connector on ecu it doesn't blow fuse when I plug it back in it pops. Then every now and again electric shift wouldn't work but if I just cycle key on and off a time or two it would work fine. Thanks

was the reg/rec oem from honda ?. if not ?, i'd worry about this first hand !. if you had to replace battery, either from old age ?, or, it was not recharging ?. this leads to bad stator ?, or bad reg/rec ?. soooooooooo..lets start fresh !.  first: MAKE SURE YOU ONLY BUY AND INSTALL OEM PARTS FROM HONDA !!, DO NOT CHEAP OUT, AND BUY CHINA JUNK JUST TO SAVE A BUCK !!!!. 2nd: my first thought tells me your stator or reg/rec went out ?, you should have tested the reg/rec BEFORE you purchased another reg/rec ( and I hope it was replaced with oem from honda ? ). if the reg/rec is replaced if it was bad ?, then you should have tested the stator by ohming it out. 3rd: if it cranks, but no neutral light ?, bad bulb ?, and its grounded to frame engine to bypass the electric start while in gear ?. either way..fix it !.

Update come to find out junk regulator it is charging up in the 17s with a little throttle. Fried ecu, and fan module. Without ecu plugged in bike will start and run good. And I looked back on my records and sure enough I bought a cheap regulator trying to save a few bucks. Lesson learned again and it cost me $400 for new parts. 

• Like 2

Well guess we had you headed in the right direction with the China parts, happens so many times, try to save a few $$ and end up costing more in the long run.  Let us know when you get things going again....

Update on the 450es. New ecu, fan control module and regulator all OEM parts👍. And she is back to running like a dream. Thanks fellas

• Like 4

Good deal glad she's going, I know I love mine too now she's fixed up.  Don't be shy now check in here just to say hi and see what else you can learn.  There are quite a few 450 ES around yet and always something to pick up...

• Like 1