Hey guys, been a while since I posted on here. 

Was riding my 450ES the other day and it started breaking up. Parked it in the driveway where it died and wouldn’t restart. Checked and it isn’t getting spark. Replaced the spark plug and no luck. 

What would your recommendation be to check next? Stator? Coil? Hoping it isn’t a stator as they are over $250. 

Thanks as always! 

DeTalyor , I would say the most common no spark culprit next to the spark plug would be the CDI , and as far as I know there is no way to test it other than relace it with a known good cdi  :

You could try this , take the CDI off , preheat the oven to 450 degrees ( when the wife is not home , if she is picky ) and stick the CDI in for 8 minutes , remove ( without burning yourself  ) let cool and try it , won't cost nothing , it will resolder the connections and remove any moisture 

This is Partzilla below , they are a little higher priced than say Rocky Mountain ATV ---as far as I know Rick's Motorsports doesn't do a TRX450 CDI , but it might be worth a call to them , as they are the only aftermarket CDI supplier  worth buying =  Rick's Toll Free: 1-800-521-0277 or +1-603-329-9901 

IGNITION CONTROL MODULE

30410-HN0-A01

by Honda

$124.93 2% OFF

$121.99

51 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

DeTalyor , I would say the most common no spark culprit next to the spark plug would be the CDI , and as far as I know there is no way to test it other than relace it with a known good cdi  :

You could try this , take the CDI off , preheat the oven to 450 degrees ( when the wife is not home , if she is picky ) and stick the CDI in for 8 minutes , remove ( without burning yourself  ) let cool and try it , won't cost nothing , it will resolder the connections and remove any moisture 

This is Partzilla below , they are a little higher priced than say Rocky Mountain ATV ---as far as I know Rick's Motorsports doesn't do a TRX450 CDI , but it might be worth a call to them , as they are the only aftermarket CDI supplier  worth buying =  Rick's Toll Free: 1-800-521-0277 or +1-603-329-9901 

IGNITION CONTROL MODULE

30410-HN0-A01

by Honda

$124.93 2% OFF

$121.99

Appreciate the response! I found a cheap version on Amazon with free returns for $60. Think I’ll give this a shot to test with and see if that’s the issue. If it is, I’ll go ahead and order from partzilla. 

Just now, DeTaylor said:

Appreciate the response! I found a cheap version on Amazon with free returns for $60. Think I’ll give this a shot to test with and see if that’s the issue. If it is, I’ll go ahead and order from partzilla. 

Amazon/Ebay  electrical parts are very hit and miss and short lived , I would " strongly  " suggest to bite the bullet and buy OEM < or I would feel better buying a used OEM , there is a place called Power Sports Nation , they are a dismantler , they will give you 30 day warranty and a good price , if , they have one in stock 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DeTaylor said:

save the 60 bucks, buy oem from rocky mountain atv or partzilla ( partzilla shipping times suck , and the prices are higher ).

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

save the 60 bucks, buy oem from rocky mountain atv or partzilla ( partzilla shipping times suck , and the prices are higher ).

I fully plan to go oem. This is strictly to test with. Will return once I confirm if it’s the issue or not. 

Good luck with that , if that new aftermarket  cdi doesn't spark , what have you really proved !!!      It could still be the CDI cause aftermarket parts have been known to not work from the get go , that's what we are trying to tell you 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Good luck with that , if that new aftermarket  cdi doesn't spark , what have you really proved !!!      It could still be the CDI cause aftermarket parts have been known to not work from the get go , that's what we are trying to tell you 

Okay.. okay. You’ve convinced me lol I’ll head to rocky mount/partzilla

Since it was just parked make sure the left handlebar kill switch didn't get bumped. The most common thing on the 450 for no spark has been the regulator for me. It could be as simple as a blown fuse as well. 

1 minute ago, toodeep said:

Since it was just parked make sure the left handlebar kill switch didn't get bumped. The most common thing on the 450 for no spark has been the regulator for me. It could be as simple as a blown fuse as well. 

Kill switch was the first thing I checked since I had done that to myself in the past. 

Checked fuses yesterday and they all looked good. If the CDI doesn’t solve the issue, I’ll look into the regulator. 

thanks!!

On 6/2/2022 at 8:46 AM, DeTaylor said:

Okay.. okay. You’ve convinced me lol I’ll head to rocky mount/partzilla

Again, try powersportsnation for a used OEM unit.  If it doesn't work they will send you a replacement or refund your money.  They aren't as cheap as they used to be but they do stand behind what they sell.

12 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Again, try powersportsnation for a used OEM unit.  If it doesn't work they will send you a replacement or refund your money.  They aren't as cheap as they used to be but they do stand behind what they sell.

This is what I ended up doing. It should be here tomorrow. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DeTaylor said:

I hope that CDI solves your problem , at least it won't break the bank if it don't -------- you just missed  last weekend they had a 20% off sale for the Holiday 

1 hour ago, DeTaylor said:

If that doesn't work, I'd check your voltage regulator.  They too are cheap for used OEM from PSN.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 12:59 PM, jeepwm69 said:

If that doesn't work, I'd check your voltage regulator.  They too are cheap for used OEM from PSN.

Looks like that’s where we are going. No luck with the CDI. 

On 6/3/2022 at 12:59 PM, jeepwm69 said:

PSN only has a regulator for a 450R. Think it would work on the ES?

1 hour ago, DeTaylor said:

Looks like that’s where we are going. No luck with the CDI. 

did you ohm the stator out ?, what was the readings ?.

18 hours ago, shadetree said:

did you ohm the stator out ?, what was the readings ?.

I have not tested the stator yet. I feel dumb, but the more I read on how to test it, the more confused I get. 

Edited by DeTaylor
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 1:54 PM, DeTaylor said:

I have not tested the stator yet. I feel dumb, but the more I read on how to test it, the more confused I get. 

So glad it’s just not me lol I’m the 1 that does all the research on figuring out the problems with my 02 Foreman 450 S & my Hubby does the work. I swear my job is harder then his.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 1 arm chic said:

So glad it’s just not me lol I’m the 1 that does all the research on figuring out the problems with my 02 Foreman 450 S & my Hubby does the work. I swear my job is harder then his.  

haha..welcome to my world !..rofl.

• Haha 2

Thank you everyone who mentioned PSN and the regulator. $20 later and we’re up and running like a charm! Even took it for a spin in the swamp tonight with my neighbor. 

BC529837-9E9E-4DA9-99A7-4228D23A5416.jpeg

• Like 5

Good Deal !!! Big  Smiles  >>>  PowerSportsNation use to be a little known  secret years ago 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Good Deal !!! Big  Smiles  >>>  PowerSportsNation use to be a little known  secret years ago 

Yeah and then we told everybody how great they are and now they are a lot more expensive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1