thekidwithquestions

1987 Honda TRX125 no spark

I recently bought a 1987 Honda TRX125 for $170 (obviously not running) 
I'm slowly fixing it but I'm stumped right now, I'm trying to get spark but to no avail.

I have 12v at the battery the electric start is turning over the engine quite fine, and there is lots of power at the 2 wires that connect to the ignition coil but I'm getting absolutely NO spark.... I bought a new ignition coil and spark plug and it neither changes anything.... what am I doing wrong?

48 minutes ago, thekidwithquestions said:

I recently bought a 1987 Honda TRX125 for $170 (obviously not running) 
I'm slowly fixing it but I'm stumped right now, I'm trying to get spark but to no avail.

I have 12v at the battery the electric start is turning over the engine quite fine, and there is lots of power at the 2 wires that connect to the ignition coil but I'm getting absolutely NO spark.... I bought a new ignition coil and spark plug and it neither changes anything.... what am I doing wrong?

bad stator ?, or bad pick up coil ?, or bad c.d.i. ?. could be one of these ?.orall of them !. before you go tossing parts at it...make sure to check the kill switch on handle bars..make sure its clean, and good working order !.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

bad stator ?, or bad pick up coil ?, or bad c.d.i. ?. could be one of these ?.orall of them !. before you go tossing parts at it...make sure to check the kill switch on handle bars..make sure its clean, and good working order !.

I am getting the lights flashing as I pull the ripcord so I don't think its the stator, it could be the c.d.i or pickup coil, is there anyway to test both these?

1 hour ago, thekidwithquestions said:

I am getting the lights flashing as I pull the ripcord so I don't think its the stator, it could be the c.d.i or pickup coil, is there anyway to test both these?

stators have to sides to them, one charges battery-operates lights, other side fires spark plug through c.d.i.

9 hours ago, shadetree said:

stators have to sides to them, one charges battery-operates lights, other side fires spark plug through c.d.i.

so even if I'm getting power to the ignition coil it still could be the stator?

On 6/2/2022 at 9:36 PM, shadetree said:

alright I have the stator pulled out of the case, how do I tell if its bad?

52 minutes ago, thekidwithquestions said:

alright I have the stator pulled out of the case, how do I tell if its bad?

you use a multimeter to ohm the stator out, please read the service manual on how to do test, you do not need to remove the stator from the engine to do this test.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 6:30 AM, thekidwithquestions said:

so even if I'm getting power to the ignition coil it still could be the stator?

if you are getting power to the spark plug coil ?, then it should fire the spark plug. have you tried a new spark plug plugged into the spark plug coil, ground to engine, crank it over to see if it sparks ?.