Wheeler

Steering Stem Nut.

So last nite I was moving my quad in garage & noticed some slop in the steering… figured it was tie rods. Nope. That darn steering stem nut. It’s tad loose. So upon trouble shooting, I felt my front diff bearings seem tad loose. So ordered new axles & bearing/seal kit. I must say that nut is in such a crappy spot. Best way to get at it is removing the diff. So that’s what I’m gonna do & add loctite. The bearing & top bushing seem fine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

So last nite I was moving my quad in garage & noticed some slop in the steering… figured it was tie rods. Nope. That darn steering stem nut. It’s tad loose. So upon trouble shooting, I felt my front diff bearings seem tad loose. So ordered new axles & bearing/seal kit. I must say that nut is in such a crappy spot. Best way to get at it is removing the diff. So that’s what I’m gonna do & add loctite. The bearing & top bushing seem fine. 

yep, pretty much the diff needs to come out to make it easier. the nut can be tightened while the front diff is still in frame. it does not use loctite, you will regret this later on..lol. tighten, then carter pin, thats all it needs.

• Like 3

Bofore using loctite i would get a nylock nut. My lonestar steering stem came with one and i still put the cotter pin in for good measure. But the nylock nut should make it stay put and still be able to be removed down the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Bofore using loctite i would get a nylock nut. My lonestar steering stem came with one and i still put the cotter pin in for good measure. But the nylock nut should make it stay put and still be able to be removed down the road.

Wonder if they sell the nut separately?

On 6/5/2022 at 7:39 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Wonder if they sell the nut separately?

i just pulled up a 2000 trx300fw, partzilla shows just the nut separate, where did this idea come from that honda does now sell just the nut ??.

54 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i just pulled up a 2000 trx300fw, partzilla shows just the nut separate, where did this idea come from that honda does now sell just the nut ??.

On 6/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, SlammedRanger said:

I meant a nulock nut, not an OEM

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I meant a nulock nut, not an OEM

ah..ok.

Yeah i know they sell them for a 400ex and 450r stem. But it would be a real long shot on if they are the same thread and size. Kinda doubt it being that lonestar is gunna use a standard bolt and thread. Honda ones will for sure be metric.

• Like 2