Destructo

Can't get pushrods in???

2003 trx500FA

Finished getting all the new parts and started to slap this thing together but I am stuck at the push rods.

For whatever reason i can't get them to line up with both the rocker arms and the followers.

I followed the manual and when I place the pushrods on the follower they push the follower all the way down to the cam, and then fall over pushing the gaskets little pushrod holder bit downward.

When I place the valve cover on the pushrods don't line up with the rockers ( due to the gasket not being super strong and not holding them where they need to be)   the manual says to line them up with my finger. But my finger prevents the cover from sliding down enough to meet the rods.  I can't fit my fingers deep enough in the adjustment cover hole to even touch them.

I browsed around and it seems I'm the only one in the world who's got this issue.

What am I missing here ?

21 minutes ago, Destructo said:

2003 trx500FA

Finished getting all the new parts and started to slap this thing together but I am stuck at the push rods.

For whatever reason i can't get them to line up with both the rocker arms and the followers.

I followed the manual and when I place the pushrods on the follower they push the follower all the way down to the cam, and then fall over pushing the gaskets little pushrod holder bit downward.

When I place the valve cover on the pushrods don't line up with the rockers ( due to the gasket not being super strong and not holding them where they need to be)   the manual says to line them up with my finger. But my finger prevents the cover from sliding down enough to meet the rods.  I can't fit my fingers deep enough in the adjustment cover hole to even touch them.

I browsed around and it seems I'm the only one in the world who's got this issue.

What am I missing here ?

i've only worked on a couple trx500fa, they have the over head cam..correct ?, did you install the cam facing the lobes the correct way ?, you are right, the rocker cover does not give ya much room to get the push rods room to line up them up with the rocker cup ends, if i remember right when i did it, i had to use a flashlight to peek into the rocker box to make sure the push rods were in the rocker cups before i bolted the rocker box down.

i installed the cam as per the manual with the little line level with the head while at TDC.  the cam is offset on the head and the rods are super tiny. Do the pushrods suction to the rocker before i set it down?  the followers can really only go in one way with the cup side up and the flat side down or else they'd just get jammed up on the cam lobes.

4 minutes ago, Destructo said:

i installed the cam as per the manual with the little line level with the head while at TDC.  the cam is offset on the head and the rods are super tiny. Do the pushrods suction to the rocker before i set it down?  the followers can really only go in one way with the cup side up and the flat side down or else they'd just get jammed up on the cam lobes.

yes, followers face flat side down, rest on cam lobes., sounds like you got everything correct, just having a hard time getting the rocker box down on the top of the push rods.

yeah thats right.... and my fingers are too fat and short to reach the little buggers to line them up haha.

i can get the cover down all the way but the rods miss the rockers

• Like 1

Just now, Destructo said:

yeah thats right.... and my fingers are too fat and short to reach the little buggers to line them up haha.

i can get the cover down all the way but the rods miss the rockers

I think we are onto the problem " short , fat fingers " , not the first time that has caused a problem , LOL 

Yes... wife likes, Honda hates haha

i feel like a flat tool with the shape of the pushrods spaced properly would be my only out here... but there has to be a better way

12 minutes ago, Destructo said:

Yes... wife likes, Honda hates haha

i feel like a flat tool with the shape of the pushrods spaced properly would be my only out here... but there has to be a better way

try resting the push rods at the correct angle and spacing with the engine angled by maybe jacking the frame up so the push rods stay in place while you set the rocker box down on them ?. i was not fond of these types of rocker boxes with the rocker design when i did them. another reason i hate the trx500fa !...lol.

hmm good idea, i have the whole thing on 4 jack stands...  i will lower the right hand side tonight to the ground and see if that works.

durable but dumb design...

they should take a lesson from the amc/jeep 4.0 lol

6 hours ago, Destructo said:

hmm good idea, i have the whole thing on 4 jack stands...  i will lower the right hand side tonight to the ground and see if that works.

durable but dumb design...

they should take a lesson from the amc/jeep 4.0 lol

no..they should takes lessons from us guy's that fix them all the time !..if anyone should know how they should be built ?..IT'S US !..LOL.

i can't count on all my fingers an toes on how many stupid designs i have seen on honda atvs..some of them just make ya shake yer head..and ask..why ??!!..lol.

there has to be some honda engineer dude somewhere like: 

"it is wisest to do things the most difficult way possible, it is our duty to use dissimilar metals in high tension high stress/strain environment"

"hondamatic run good, until 30 cent part fails then we get to sell another hondamatic"

"cant they just rebuild the hondamatic?"

"no because we will ensure we manufacture a special seal for it and never sell it to anybody!!!!!"

"Oh you so wise engineer-san! yes we must follow this path!"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Destructo said:

there has to be some honda engineer dude somewhere like: 

"it is wisest to do things the most difficult way possible, it is our duty to use dissimilar metals in high tension high stress/strain environment"

"hondamatic run good, until 30 cent part fails then we get to sell another hondamatic"

"cant they just rebuild the hondamatic?"

"no because we will ensure we manufacture a special seal for it and never sell it to anybody!!!!!"

"Oh you so wise engineer-san! yes we must follow this path!"

its called job security !!..rofl.

• Like 2

Trying to get this Rubicon engine buttoned up, and ran into this early this morning.

@Destructo, what was the trick?  Persistence?  Holding your mouth right?

I got the bottom end buttoned up, got the top end on, and ran out of time this morning fighting those push rods, which want to fall over before I can get the valve cover on.

I used a very thin but stiff piece of steel wire that I kind of bent in a w shape to hold both push rods.  Much trial and error.

You know how the old joke about the long cane pulling a guy off stage when they suck?   Like that, but instead of 1 hook I bent 2.  

Wife had both her hands aligning the cover on the head while I held the wire and gasket.

There's gotta be a better way cuz that sucked and the gasket has a little spot that is supposed to hold them straight but it's not very strong lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like slid the little bent wire between head and cover and over like an hour just struggled till it finally sat right.

Hand tight the bolts and turned the motor by hand to make sure nothing went pop, scrape or bang before I carried on too

That's what I figured, but thanks for verifying.  "There is no easy way to do it, suck it up and persevere!"

Pretty much.

I wonder how the factory does it.

Or if there's a grease sticky enough to hold the ball side of the pushrod into its cup. 

I find this to be a weird problem, I have never had a problem. I just drop them in place and let the gasket hold them in position. I've done a lot of them over the years and that's why I find it to be a weird problem.

18 hours ago, toodeep said:

I find this to be a weird problem, I have never had a problem. I just drop them in place and let the gasket hold them in position. I've done a lot of them over the years and that's why I find it to be a weird problem.

Well I've done a couple and don't remember it being an issue.   This comment will attract Shadetree like a moth to a flame, but I wonder if the aftermarket gasket set I bought is flimsier than an OEM gasket (so the OEM gasket would hold the pushrods in place better)?

@Destructo did you use OEM gaskets or aftermarket?

2 minutes ago, Destructo said:

I used an aftermarket gasket and had same problem

If I recall correctly, I used OEM gaskets on the last one I went through.  I think I might order an OEM gasket and see if that makes the process easier.  I have at least two more of these that need to be gone through.  Were this the only one I had I'd likely fish around and see if I could make the gasket I have work, but if it's a recurring problem that could be solved easily by using an OEM gasket I'd like to know that now and save myself some frustration.

I guess i have only used OEM gaskets so that may be the issue.

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well I've done a couple and don't remember it being an issue.   This comment will attract Shadetree like a moth to a flame, but I wonder if the aftermarket gasket set I bought is flimsier than an OEM gasket (so the OEM gasket would hold the pushrods in place better)?

@Destructo did you use OEM gaskets or aftermarket?

moth to flame eh ?...rofl. uhhh..yeah..the issue is the aftermarket head gaskets...the holes are larger, which in turn, allow the push rods to lean more.