teamroper

Starter motor

Hi out there. Can anyone tell me the difference between an after market starter motor and an OEM starter motor for a Honda 450 Forman, Other than the price. Is it possible I would see a performance difference?

Chinese probably won't work. 

DB Electrical seems to be good to go.

I always just rebuild the stock starters.  Putting new brushes in is usually all they need.  Cheap and easy job.

Thanks. The original one was all rusted up. The after marked one is making a grinding noise, I wonder if the teeth are not meshing correctly?

9 minutes ago, teamroper said:

Thanks. The original one was all rusted up. The after marked one is making a grinding noise, I wonder if the teeth are not meshing correctly?

If you bought a cheap chinese unit I wouldn't use it until you figure out the problem.  You don't want to ruin your starter reduction gears.

Look at your old one and then check it against the new one.  Where did you get the new one?

buy a starter from d&b elec, they sell great after market starters. be sure to inspect the transfer gears !!.

I got the aftermarket from a bike service place. It says " starter QB" on the side of it. They charged me $125. I see them on line for around $60. Great idea to check the gears to the old one. Thanks for the great ideas.