Thes10blaze

08 foreman no spark someone help!!

Okay 08 foreman 500 4x4.. tried cranking one day and discovered no spark. So I got a book and my pick up coil in the stator wasn’t putting out .7 v it’s putting out .3. Book says should be .7v so I bought a brand new OEM stator still same issue. I removed my flywheel to see if any issues none found.  I’ve noticed that when I check ac power going to the coil at the plug I’m only getting 100+ when I switch the key on then it drops. Parts I’ve replaced are stator spark plug coil kill switch assembly rectifier. Checked grounds what else could it be? Thanks for any info advice 

when you turn the key on, are you getting a neutral light to light up on the dash ?, if not ?, it wont fire the spark plug.

You have a gear showing on the screen when trying to start?  One of mine doesn't show 3rd gear sometimes, and if the meter isn't showing a gear (or Neutral) then you won't get spark.

Showing N. Question if you have to unhook stator to check the pick up coil then the stator would be isolated from machine per say? Or could there be something making it not give proper reading while it’s unhooked if so what? 

Edited by Thes10blaze

46 minutes ago, Thes10blaze said:

Showing N. Question if you have to unhook stator to check the pick up coil then the stator would be isolated from machine per say? Or could there be something making it not give proper reading while it’s unhooked if so what? 

is this a manual shift or es shift ?. once you unhook the stator from the wire harness, you should only have 3 yellow wires on the stator side, the pick up coil is not connected to the stator.or should not be anyway. where did you buy the stator from ?..ebay ?, amazon ?..or from a honda dealer ?. if amazon or ebay ?, then chances are..you bought china part. most honda atv's MUST have a matching flywheel and stator. you do not need to pull the stator out of motor to ohm it out.

It’s an ES. Bought stator from Honda dealer. The pick up coil comes with the new stator as it’s in the same plug as the stator. When you check the stator you ohm the yellow wires when you check the pick up coil it’s the little 2 wires in the same plug as the stator

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thes10blaze said:

New flywheel 

new stator

new kill switch assembly 

new CDI 

new rectifier 

🤯 NO SPARK

Looks like the only " part " you did not change is the coil 

Do you know about cutting 1/4 inch off the coil wire and then reattaching the boot 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Looks like the only " part " you did not change is the coil 

Do you know about cutting 1/4 inch off the coil wire and then reattaching the boot 

Trimming the wire was a good fix for me. The strands were all corroded; so was the spike in the cap. Got strong clean spark after.

I also had to replace the stator, reg/rec, and CDI because the PO bought aftermarket D model parts.

• Like 1

Check all fuzes with ohmmeter 

any mice damage?

you haven’t said anything about the oil light. The oil light should come on momentarily and then go out. On my TRX300, if the FCU doesn’t activate the oil light, then i get no ignition.

however, your Fan Controller might be integrated with your CDI. Double check that

Forgot to mention I replaced coil that was the first thing I changed. No mice damage I’ll have to check the oil light. I’ll try anything about right now to make it fire 😂 

• Like 1

Your oil light bulb may be burned out.
i have worked on an 08 Foreman so I’m sure i have a service manual somewhere.

If your oil light is not coming on Perform the oil cooling system diagnostics—some atvs have an overheat ignition inhibit function. 

Okay I’ve checked wiring from the coil back to the ecm no shorts found.

I’ve checked the wires going to the ckp sensor back to the ecu and ecm no shorts found. 
I’ve checked wires from start button to ecm no shorts found. 
I’ve checked wires from on/off switch no shorts found. 
checked grounds at Junction all seem okay. 

Original prob was carb flooded because pin slid out of bowl broke down in woods. Tried to crank towed back home to find it only sparked at plug when hit start button hold it down wouldn’t spark. Let off start would spark. Now doesn’t spark at all. 

2 hours ago, Thes10blaze said:

Okay I’ve checked wiring from the coil back to the ecm no shorts found.

I’ve checked the wires going to the ckp sensor back to the ecu and ecm no shorts found. 
I’ve checked wires from start button to ecm no shorts found. 
I’ve checked wires from on/off switch no shorts found. 
checked grounds at Junction all seem okay. 

Original prob was carb flooded because pin slid out of bowl broke down in woods. Tried to crank towed back home to find it only sparked at plug when hit start button hold it down wouldn’t spark. Let off start would spark. Now doesn’t spark at all. 

the very last part of this comment tells me the c.d.i. is bad. yes..you said you replaced it...right ?..unless you bought it from honda ?, its a china knock off !. i'll stake all my money on this, ( which is not much right now ?..but still ).

On 6/9/2022 at 2:23 AM, Thes10blaze said:

Okay 08 foreman 500 4x4.. tried cranking one day and discovered no spark. So I got a book and my pick up coil in the stator wasn’t putting out .7 v it’s putting out .3. Book says should be .7v so I bought a brand new OEM stator still same issue. I removed my flywheel to see if any issues none found.  I’ve noticed that when I check ac power going to the coil at the plug I’m only getting 100+ when I switch the key on then it drops. Parts I’ve replaced are stator spark plug coil kill switch assembly rectifier. Checked grounds what else could it be? Thanks for any info advice 

8 hours ago, shadetree said:

the very last part of this comment tells me the c.d.i. is bad. yes..you said you replaced it...right ?..unless you bought it from honda ?, its a china knock off !. i'll stake all my money on this, ( which is not much right now ?..but still ).

I think I have a CDI that was "bad" in that the fan wouldn't work.  Machine would run, but that machine had the fan manually switched as the ECU wouldn't turn the fan on anymore.

If you want it to see if your machine will start with it, PM me your mailing address.  If your machine will start with it, you can order a new one.  If it won't, then you won't waste money on a non-returnable part.

Well crap, it was an ES.   You're still welcome to try it for troubleshooting purposes if the electrical guys here think it would work. 

Okay got it fixed. Got my hands on a more expensive meter to find that my cpk was reading good and I had 200+ V to the coil. Had to check from battery ground to the black/yellow wire to coil to get V so I ran a descent size wire to ground at the coil. Bam running. Hope this may help someone 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for reporting back with what you found!  It will likely help someone in the future!

Nothing like searching for the fix to a problem, finding 20 different threads on the problem, with no solutions posted in any of them.

• Like 1

Yes sir I’ve spent idk how much time searching for a possible answer to be left going well what was the fix 😂  by the way if anyone needs a stator with the cpk for a Foreman 500 4x4 look me up 

Edited by Thes10blaze
  • Like 1