jstatham

1998 Forman 400 wiring Help

Do they still look wrong?

Hello everyone. I have been fighting this POS all week. I’m not expert in wiring but everything is cut and hacked up like crazy. Would I be smarter to just take the engine off and set it beside my working one and hook up to its wiring? if it’s compatible? Here is a video I made tonight. If you can’t tell I’m beyond frustrated. This thing is a 1999 I believe Forman 400 and I have a working 1996 Foreman 400. Does anyone have a spare harness I could rent to test it? None of them are electric shift.

62671F21-DC28-4918-A443-909F373E7BAC.jpeg

1DCD751B-2E33-47A8-8AD2-EE68BA3730D4.jpeg

2 hours ago, jstatham said:

Do they still look wrong?

Hello everyone. I have been fighting this POS all week. I’m not expert in wiring but everything is cut and hacked up like crazy. Would I be smarter to just take the engine off and set it beside my working one and hook up to its wiring? if it’s compatible? Here is a video I made tonight. If you can’t tell I’m beyond frustrated. This thing is a 1999 I believe Forman 400 and I have a working 1996 Foreman 400. Does anyone have a spare harness I could rent to test it? None of them are electric shift.

62671F21-DC28-4918-A443-909F373E7BAC.jpeg

1DCD751B-2E33-47A8-8AD2-EE68BA3730D4.jpeg

yes..tires are wrong, the tread pattern should face forward. look on the face of the tire, there is an arrow facing the way they rotate :-).

Well she is alive and actually sounds good.  I think I am going to look for a 400 or 450 with a blown motor and swap it over. Are all the years from 1996-2003 compatible for an engine swap? If not what do I need to look for?  This bike needs way too many parts to try and fix it up and I don’t want to drop that much in it. Also I think I fixed the valve cover gasket on my other 400 with some bigger bolts. Fingers crossed. 

The 02-04 450 had a slightly shorter output shaft to account for the selectable front diff.

I know the bottom cases are the same, and the top ends are interchangeable.  

You need to look at the output shaft on the engine from the pre 02 450 and the 400s and see if they’re the same.  If so, it will likely bolt in.

I haven’t ever done that swap so can’t say for sure

10 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

The 02-04 450 had a slightly shorter output shaft to account for the selectable front diff.

You need to look at the output shaft on the engine from the pre 02 450 and the 400s and see if they’re the same.  If so, it will likely bolt in.

Thanks jeep. My plan today is to drive it a little up and down the driveway before I say it’s good. Do you know if the 400 motor will fit in the 300 frame?

48 minutes ago, jstatham said:

Thanks jeep. My plan today is to drive it a little up and down the driveway before I say it’s good. Do you know if the 400 motor will fit in the 300 frame?

no, the 400 motor will not fit in a trx300fw frame. two different styles of engines. you need to work on your quoting ?, you keep adding your first video to every post ?..lol.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

front drive shafts are not the same from the 450's from '98 to '02-'04, different lengths because of the early versions '98-'01 being full time 4wd, and the later years '02-'04 being electronic diff's.

Well today was productive. What I realized Friday the original harness was still in the machine the previous owner had the hacked up harness hooked up to the front. I guess for testing purposes. The coil was all that was wrong.  Once I got it running with the hacked up harness I unplugged all that mess and hooked up the original harness and had it fired up in about 15 minutes.  I even let my daughter take it for a quick spin. The motor sounds ok but the machine still needs a ton of parts to bring it back looking good. I am going to keep my eye out for another machine with a blown motor and make a good looking machine.     @shadetree I did fix the tread on the other machine. Thanks again for everyone help. Sorry I kept posting the original video. I was doing it from my phone and didn’t realize.  More to come with this one. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jstatham said:

Well today was productive. What I realized Friday the original harness was still in the machine the previous owner had the hacked up harness hooked up to the front. I guess for testing purposes. The coil was all that was wrong.  Once I got it running with the hacked up harness I unplugged all that mess and hooked up the original harness and had it fired up in about 15 minutes.  I even let my daughter take it for a quick spin. The motor sounds ok but the machine still needs a ton of parts to bring it back looking good. I am going to keep my eye out for another machine with a blown motor and make a good looking machine.     @shadetree I did fix the tread on the other machine. Thanks again for everyone help. Sorry I kept posting the original video. I was doing it from my phone and didn’t realize.  More to come with this one. 

i just happen to know where some plastics are for your trx400fw, but i will not ship, you would need to pick them up., to be honest, i know where a trx400fw frame is, all of it is there cept the wire harness and engine.

• Like 2

Glad you got it going!  Now you have two, and need another one for a parts rig! 

• Like 2

OK I have been trying to figure out what machine will work for a motor swap.  I have looked all the diagrams and came up with the part numbers for the frames and the front shaft.  It looks like my best bet would be a 1995-2003 Foreman 400.  Does anyone know if the 450 Frames are really that much different and would the 400 motor work?  Mine is a 1999 Foreman 400. 

1995-1998 Foreman 400 Frame
50100-HM7-610
50100-HM7-611 
50100-HM7-70096 

1999-2003 Foreman 400 Frame
50100-HM7-A10 
50100-HM7-A30
50100-HM7-A40

1998-2001 Foreman 450 Frame
50100-HN0-306 
50100-HN0-A70

2002-2004 Foreman 450 Frame
50100-HN0-670

1995-1998 Foreman 400 Front Drive Shaft
40400-HM7-A00

1999-2003 Foreman 400 Front Drive Shaft
40400-HM7-A00

1998-2001 Foreman 450 Front Drive Shaft
40400-HN0-A00

2002-2004 Foreman 450 Front Drive Shaft
40400-HN0-670

The only issue i can think of using a 450 would be the speed sensor. Other than that it will bolt in no problem and the needed electronics will work. That would be putting the motor into a 450 roller. Once you get into the suspension components you will find the differences in frames, a-arms and stuff.

I'd look for a 98-01  Front driveshaft is the same, rear swingarm is the same, so should bolt right in, and the suspension on the 450's sits a little higher.

23 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'd look for a 98-01  Front driveshaft is the same, rear swingarm is the same, so should bolt right in, and the suspension on the 450's sits a little higher.

You are talking 400 and not 450 correct?

2 hours ago, jstatham said:

You are talking 400 and not 450 correct?

Just looked at your parts list again.  I mistakenly thought the 400 and 450 front drivelines were the same during those years, but I see now the middle part of the part number is different.

I prefer the 450 to the 400 based on ride height and suspension, but not sure if everything would bolt right in or not.  I THINK it would, but can't guarantee it.