jeepwm69

Tractor issues

@Fishfiles @_Wilson_™

The old 2640 quit on me today.

Was bush hogging and it acted like it was bogging down, so I chose a lower gear, but it continued to slow rpms and the throttle didn’t have any effect.

It will start up but quickly dies.

I’m hoping it’s the fuel filter.  Any other ideas?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

@Fishfiles @_Wilson_™

The old 2640 quit on me today.

Was bush hogging and it acted like it was bogging down, so I chose a lower gear, but it continued to slow rpms and the throttle didn’t have any effect.

It will start up but quickly dies.

I’m hoping it’s the fuel filter.  Any other ideas?

IMG_0461.MOV

The fuel filter would be the first place I would look , or a restriction in the supply hose from the tank ---

be careful when getting a new filter , John Deere fuel filters sometimes create a problem with crossover , the filters all look the same but some are backwards flow and some have different micron elements , when places like NAPA cross reference them they will supply the wrong filter 

Was just telling Shade' , I have a John Deere 5200 in my yard right now doing some work on it , it is getting an alternator and a RPM sensor sending unit , hope to get them parts rounded up today , my neighbor wants me to cut her yard while i have the tractor 

7sVSR4chSVOwBR8QyMEsAw.jpg

qu2t51LuSlOvjE7cPliDTw.jpg

jYFNXh5bQl6Vox7Gi9HAIw.jpg

XvSXy1%ITmimODne8ZP8LA.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can you check fuel flow at the carb or filter? It sounds like it’s only running for 1-2 seconds. A clogged filter maybe. Perhaps a chunk of debris in the carb bowl 

56 minutes ago, Goober said:

Can you check fuel flow at the carb or filter? It sounds like it’s only running for 1-2 seconds. A clogged filter maybe. Perhaps a chunk of debris in the carb bowl 

Four-cylinder diesel.

Diesels to me are like voodoo magic. No idea how they work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

The fuel filter would be the first place I would look , or a restriction in the supply hose from the tank ---

be careful when getting a new filter , John Deere fuel filters sometimes create a problem with crossover , the filters all look the same but some are backwards flow and some have different micron elements , when places like NAPA cross reference them they will supply the wrong filter 

Was just telling Shade' , I have a John Deere 5200 in my yard right now doing some work on it , it is getting an alternator and a RPM sensor sending unit , hope to get them parts rounded up today , my neighbor wants me to cut her yard while i have the tractor 

7sVSR4chSVOwBR8QyMEsAw.jpg

qu2t51LuSlOvjE7cPliDTw.jpg

jYFNXh5bQl6Vox7Gi9HAIw.jpg

XvSXy1%ITmimODne8ZP8LA.jpg

Interestingly enough, the alternator on this 2640 happened to be the same as the alternator for my jeeps. I had an extra on the shelf and bolted it on and it worked great.

Headed to deere now to get a filter.  I’m sure it will be cheap lol

Well color me shocked. Filter was 17 bucks. I figured it would be 2 to 3 times that much in a John Deere box

Youve changed those filters a few times before i assume?  Sounds like if its not the filter, maybe the fuel pressure isnt there. Good ole diesels needing high pressure. 🤔

49 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

Youve changed those filters a few times before i assume?  Sounds like if its not the filter, maybe the fuel pressure isnt there. Good ole diesels needing high pressure. 🤔

Nope, filter hasn’t been changed in  the 12 years I’ve had the tractor.

Thus changing it is a good thing even if it’s not the problem.

12 years ?! wow! our get changed every year sometimes twice a month depending on what the water seperator looks like...... now so,e models have metal canister filters that  look like a oil filter, but these became the standard in a number of models....... the transparent glass helps you keep a check on the sediment level, but most big horse power units have one that a water separator, the a fuel fi....... but back then fuel was transferred so many times..... a man couldn't keep sediment down,...... so big nurse tanks had a fill rite setup like this (combo fuel, and water bowl.

image.jpgi

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

12 years ?! wow! our get changed every year sometimes twice a month depending on what the water seperator looks like...... now so,e models have metal canister filters that  look like a oil filter, but these became the standard in a number of models....... the transparent glass helps you keep a check on the sediment level, but most big horse power units have one that a water separator, the a fuel fi....... but back then fuel was transferred so many times..... a man couldn't keep sediment down,...... so big nurse tanks had a fill rite setup like this (combo fuel, and water bowl.

image.jpg

That's what the one on this tractor looks like.  Square glass filter.

I probably only run this tractor for about 10 hours/year, so not a lot of hours on it, but if I need to be changing it more often I will.

I did change out the hydraulic fluid last year (with your help) and last week I changed the oil, blew out the air filters, and greased it.

• Like 1

just a twist here...... I've been away some of you know why...... i would just like to sorry i apologize....and for now i would just like to keep working on my new healthy diet, so those of you who don't dont know, plz don't ask my me,,or bother administration ..... as i will let this cat out of the bag myself, i do ask that y'all keep in your thoughts and prayers, now back to the subject at hand, pardon me jeep, but it's about time i spoke of this, because i HAVE been dragging my feet..... NOT WANTING TO TALK ABOUT TIS, but i have many friends here and i have come to the conclusion it's not fair to keep my friends at a arms distance. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

That's what the one on this tractor looks like.  Square glass filter.

I probably only run this tractor for about 10 hours/year, so not a lot of hours on it, but if I need to be changing it more often I will.

I did change out the hydraulic fluid last year (with your help) and last week I changed the oil, blew out the air filters, and greased it.

okay that would be just a filter,,does the pump itself have a glass bowl on the bottom ? some did, but  now our 30 sounds like it has the same setup as your 40

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

okay that would be just a filter,,does the pump itself have a glass bowl on the bottom ? some did, but  now our 30 sounds like it has the same setup as your 40

Nope, pump looks like your basic mechanical fuel pump, has a lever that goes into the side of the block. 

Diesels do not  require spark or in this case..gasoline as you can guess. they run from a high compression only, if the compression is low ?, they will not run. never..ever..let a diesel engine run out of fuel ?..once they run dry ?, you get air in the line, and it is a royal pain in the back side to get them bled !..lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

Diesels do not  require spark or in this case..gasoline as you can guess. they run from a high compression only, if the compression is low ?, they will not run. never..ever..let a diesel engine run out of fuel ?..once they run dry ?, you get air in the line, and it is a royal pain in the back side to get them bled !..lol.

Well it fires up for a few seconds, then dies.

I was rolling along bushogging some pretty heavy stuff, and it started bogging so I went to a lower gear.  Then I noticed that the throttle wasn't holding the RPM's up even with the clutch engaged, and here we are.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well it fires up for a few seconds, then dies.

I was rolling along bushogging some pretty heavy stuff, and it started bogging so I went to a lower gear.  Then I noticed that the throttle wasn't holding the RPM's up even with the clutch engaged, and here we are.

start by checking the injectors for good fuel flow pattern from them. they could be clogged ?, if they are not getting any fuel pressure from the fuel injection pump which as you should know, is inside the engine block, then it very well could be the problem. i would start with removing the fuel line from one of the injectors, pull the injector out, hook the line back up, crank it over, watch the spray pattern..if any at all ?. hopefully its dirty, clogged injectors ?, if not ?, then this tells me the injection pump in the block is bad. if you are really lucky ?..it might just be a clogged fuel filter or clogged fuel line ?!..lol.

18 minutes ago, shadetree said:

start by checking the injectors for good fuel flow pattern from them. they could be clogged ?, if they are not getting any fuel pressure from the fuel injection pump which as you should know, is inside the engine block, then it very well could be the problem. i would start with removing the fuel line from one of the injectors, pull the injector out, hook the line back up, crank it over, watch the spray pattern..if any at all ?. hopefully its dirty, clogged injectors ?, if not ?, then this tells me the injection pump in the block is bad. if you are really lucky ?..it might just be a clogged fuel filter or clogged fuel line ?!..lol.

I hope it's not that pump.  That will be some $$$

Find the bleed screw on the side of the injection pump , open it , you mentioned your lift pump has a lever ,  pump that  lever on the fuel lift pump and see if you can get fuel to come out the bleeder on the injection pump  , if so then close the bleeder and pump some more , you can try to start and if it don't you might need to bleed the injectors  --- how bad was the filter ? did it have water in it ? take a pic of the top of your injection pump and post ---- is there a wire going in the top of the injection pump ?  if so , it would be the run /kill  wire , does it have voltage to that wire  with the key on / 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Find the bleed screw on the side of the injection pump , open it , you mentioned your lift pump has a lever ,  pump that  lever on the fuel lift pump and see if you can get fuel to come out the bleeder on the injection pump  , if so then close the bleeder and pump some more , you can try to start and if it don't you might need to bleed the injectors  --- how bad was the filter ? did it have water in it ? take a pic of the top of your injection pump and post ---- is there a wire going in the top of the injection pump ?  if so , it would be the run /kill  wire , does it have voltage to that wire  with the key on / 

I just watched a couple of videos on the Stanadyne injector pumps. 

It looks like a common problem is for the plastic flex ring to come apart and stop everything up with bits of plastic.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=1297006

I haven't gotten out there yet.  Still at my day job for a bit.  Am going to run out there after work with the new filter and see if that helps.  I'll take some pics of the injector pump if the new filter doesn't get it going,and post them up.

I thought from reading back that you already changed the filter and there was a problem  

I would guess from the square fuel  filter , that is an early 1970 to maybe 1980 tractor engine , so I am going to  guess it has and electric run / kill solenoid , that is similar to this video 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=john+deere+stanadyne+fuel+shut+off+solenoid&view=detail&mid=D7E9E6B52E7E5B69EB3ED7E9E6B52E7E5B69EB3E&FORM=VIRE

John Deere 2640 (1976-1979) - Tractor Specs

Jul 13, 2020 · The John Deere 2640 is a 2WD utility tractor from the 2040 series. This tractor was manufactured by John Deere in Dubuque, Iowa, USA from 1976 to 1982 (the first generation: 1976-1979, the second generation: 1980-1982). The first generation of the John Deere 2640 was equipped with a 4.5 L (276.0 cu·in) four-cylinder diesel engine and one of three transmissions: …

• Height: 2,580 mm (101.6 in)
  • Model: John Deere 2640
  • Length: 3,540 mm (139.4 in)
  • Width: 1,760 mm (69.3 in)

after you get it primed , if you spin it over , after  you loosen the tube flare nuts on the back of the injection pump , it will  tell you if there is fuel being pumped --------- the magnets in top the injection pumps are notorious for going out , an easy change , the newer models use tamper proof screws and don't sell the magnet / solenoids separately , they want you to spend money , but the solenoids can be ( use to be able ) to be purchased 

you may have to bleed the injectors , probably not if you got a good battery , unless it sucked a slug of water / trash , then you might have to bleed / purge it a bit 

can you tell it's past 5 o'clock somewhere  ^^^ 

Sooo, old fuel filter wasn’t even glass.  Fuel that came out looked good.

No change.

Here’s the pump.  Smaller than I expected it to be looking at pics.

Had the mini me with me so didn’t do more today.

Where’s the bleeder on this thing (screwdriver?)  and anything else I can try, or do you think it’s that plastic bit coming apart?

I was surprised that there was one nipple for the top hole for the filter to slide onto, but not for the bottom two ports

6717113D-22CD-4B48-862D-0A00F0752CE7.jpeg

03E2C026-1D4D-494F-BAC2-DB97896D19A2.jpeg

F0E4F7FB-1316-4162-8127-11B35C9ADE16.jpeg

43200DC8-C554-4C3F-9D5A-6117E6DF4717.jpeg

2C3162C6-BC68-44FE-815A-1DC3D1B37FC5.jpeg