jeepwm69

Tractor issues

To bleed that one I would just loosen the flare nut on the 90 degree fitting on top the pump , it is the highest point , and pump it till fuel comes out with no bubbles ---- I can't see the lever on the lift pump , if there is a lever and it doesn't feel like there is any resistance when you stroke it , you ay have to bum the engine over to get the lift pump arm off the cam lob 

@jeepwm69  ---  For Sale at the  Flea market in Lacombe , early bird pic from  yesterday , can you guess the year and model ? Interested ??? 12 slot 

A36hruM3S%SpaFBTMReFmA.jpg

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Says pic not found. What is it?

Wow , I can see the other pic 

A36hruM3S%SpaFBTMReFmA.jpg

Looks like a mid 60s Wagoneer maybe?

Sadly I don’t have any full-size Jeeps, only CJ’s

Might make a neat wall hanger though!

Looks like a mid 60s Wagoneer maybe?

Sadly I don’t have any full-size Jeeps, only CJ’s

Might make a neat wall hanger though!

Wall hanger is what i was thinking , it is a 1968 Gladiator 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Wall hanger is what i was thinking , it is a 1968 Gladiator 

What did they want for it?

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

What did they want for it?

He said $45 , usually means $40 , next weekend  maybe $30 if it don't sell this weekend   LOL 

Wish I had the truck!

That front end looks like a Bentley or a Rolls , my old buddy had a black one with yellow stripes 

image.png

So did you get the tractor running

Buddy Shane  passed by this weekend in his new rig , Jeep loaded out ,  diesel powered --- I like the quick pop top 

ZQrhw5DXRza2f5%f2Bek6Q.jpg

FOuDkZ%hR2SrfalC1YVAAw.jpg

Not yet.  It was still pretty wet out where it died so I've been waiting for it to dry out a bit, going to tow it back to the house where I have tools etc.

Plan it to get it late this afternoon.

Soo, got tractor back to the house a couple of weeks ago.

Had to put the tractor engine to TDC, which I did by removing a little plug on the left side of the engine, and sticking a pin in a hole, then turning the flywheel with a long screwdriver until the pin drops in a hole in the flywheel.  That's supposedly TDC on this tractor.

At the same time, removed a little side plate on the injector pump, and there are two lines there that are timing marks, and those line up when the tractor is at TDC.  This times the pump to the engine.

Got pump off, sent it to a forum member on "yesterday's tractors" who was highly recommended on the board.  He got it back to me in about 10 days, including shipping both ways, which was super fast turnaround.  $150 parts, $300 labor.

I was quoted $900 with a 7 week wait at one place in Memphis, and $1100 with a week turnaround at the other, so he was cheap and fast.  Hopefully he's good too!

Fought the pump for about two hours yesterday before I gave up.  I'm still weak as a newborn calf from that montezuma's revenge stomach bug I had all of last week, so I walked away from it, will revisit in the morning.

There's a simple shaft with a couple of "umbrella seals" on it, rectangle head on the end of the shaft that fits up in a groove inside of the pump.  I cannot for the life of me get it to slide all the way up on the shaft.  I've tried marking the pump and the engine after eyeballing it didn't work, and even then, still can't get it to go that last 1/2" or so.  This guy said to NOT pull it up with the mounting nuts (which makes sense) but he fights his for a few seconds and then the camera cuts off, the cuts back on with it in place. (about the 15 min mark)

I have the engine still at TDC (didn't move it at all while the pump was sent off) and the timing mark on the pump is close, and is obviously centered once the pump is slid all the way up, I just can't get it to slide that last little bit.

Any trick to this @Fishfiles or am I just not holding my mouth right?

Yep , he cut the video off  and came back and it was in ----- I don't have  any tricks for you , it is hard to do ----- take care not to mess up that seal --- 

Yeah the guy who made the video basically gave me the “you’re not holding your mouth right”

I have been careful not to lip the seal on that umbrella seal.

Guess I will get up and try it again in the morning when it’s not so hot.

I see a little spot at the end of the shaft in the video on one side.  Is it possible that your pump shaft is 180 degrees out.  I changed mine out on my tractor a long, long time ago but I think it had gears with marks to line it up with.

3 hours ago, RubiDan said:

I see a little spot at the end of the shaft in the video on one side.  Is it possible that your pump shaft is 180 degrees out.  I changed mine out on my tractor a long, long time ago but I think it had gears with marks to line it up with.

Yeah there’s a little dot on the end of the shaft and another dot in the pump, but both of them are in the right place the way I’m trying to install it.

Going to give it another go in the morning

499D213B-0280-42D4-BA47-B8415A95468D.jpeg

Hopefully it'll fall into place when you try it again.  

Got it on this morning.  I ignored the youtube guys advice and pulled it up with a nut once I was fairly certain that the shaft was in the slot in the pump.  It pulled it in smoothly and without much pressure, so pretty sure I got it right.

The round flange that slides up into the engine cover was what was so tight.  Once I got the pump in place I could rotate the whole pump housing to line up the timing marks, and then snugged down the nuts.

Got all the lines connected, with the lines loose on the injector so I can bleed out the air.  Pumped on the lifter fuel pump lever for 10 mins or so, still didn't have fuel at the injectors, but I did loosen the timing cover on the pump and diesel was in the injector pump, so I'll finish bleeding it after work and see if it will fire up.

D2978FA7-2EAF-4A10-9825-9AE1D711903F.jpeg

• Like 2

Well she runs!

I have oil pouring out from under the low pressure lifter pump, which I also just replaced.  It is a really tight fit up against the block with steel lines making it a real pita to position to bolt it up.

I’ll see if I can fix that in the morning 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well she runs!

I have oil pouring out from under the low pressure lifter pump, which I also just replaced.  It is a really tight fit up against the block with steel lines making it a real pita to position to bolt it up.

I’ll see if I can fix that in the morning 

just think..one of these day's, we'll go from atv mechanics..to farmers !!..rofl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good deal !!     Monitor your engine oil level for a while  , if the level rises , then you may have damaged the umbrella seal as you called them ---  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Good deal !!     Monitor your engine oil level for a while  , if the level rises , then you may have damaged the umbrella seal as you called them ---  

Yeah, I was wondering how quickly that would manifest itself if that seal doesn't keep the diesel out of the oil. 

I'm guessing with that high pressure pump it would show up pretty quickly in the oil level, right?  I just changed the oil, so it's nice and clean. 

Got the gasket surface cleaned up better this morning, and fuel pump solidly bolted to the block with two gaskets under it.  I had a leak at the flare fitting coming from the tank into the low pressure fuel pump as well, and I decided to cut that hard copper line off, use a short section of fuel line, and went by the local ag supply house and got a new elbow and barb fitting to attach to the pump. 

Got the hood back in place, and a new negative battery cable end put on as well (the old negative battery cable end started smoking yesterday when I was cranking it over).

So hopefully after work today, I can install that new barb fitting on the low pressure pump, clamp the now rubber fuel line on there, and assuming no oil leak from behind the pump, I'll be done......for now.

• Like 2

Not quite a diesel mechanic yet! 

Went out this morning to get the bush hog hooked back up (been sitting on a road on the farm where I dropped it when the injector pump croaked), and started mowing a bit. 

Got about 20 mins into it and noticed a bit of cloudy steam looking discharge on the left side of the engine.  Looked closer and saw diesel pouring out around the rear cylinder from up under the hood.

Drove back to the house, hoping I was going to make it before I ran out of diesel.  Pulled the hood and found the rubber return line that runs along the top of the engine was busted.  In removing all of the lines to replace the pump, I guess I twisted the old rubber hose a bit and split it. 

Replaced it with a new section of line and was back in business.

• Like 5