DeTaylor

Starter - click but doesn’t turn

Now that my atv runs again I would like to start taking care of a few other little items. 

When I click the automatic starter I here the Solenoid click but nothing after that. I’m assuming this is indication of a bad starter but want to get opinions before replacing parts. 

I did try tapping the starter with a hammer and that did absolutely nothing. Battery is brand new and not showing any signs of weakness. 

appreciate everyone’s continued help on here. Great group of helping people! 

It probably just needs brushes. A cheap test light will tell you if your getting power down to the starter while pushing the button. If your getting power, it's a starter problem. If your not then the starter solenoid.

FYI, a lot of the newer starters do not have a protective metal cage on the inside so when you tap on the starter you break the internal magnets and possibly ruining a perfectly good starter. The test light is always cheaper than the hammer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DeTaylor said:

Now that my atv runs again I would like to start taking care of a few other little items. 

When I click the automatic starter I here the Solenoid click but nothing after that. I’m assuming this is indication of a bad starter but want to get opinions before replacing parts. 

I did try tapping the starter with a hammer and that did absolutely nothing. Battery is brand new and not showing any signs of weakness. 

appreciate everyone’s continued help on here. Great group of helping people! 

First thing to do is see if it's the solenoid or starter. 

Take an old screwdriver and jump the terminals on the solenoid.  If the starter turns over, your solenoid is bad.  If not, your starter probably needs brushes.

You could also take a multimeter and see if you get 12V on the starter lug when pushing the start button.  That way is less "sparks going everywhere"

If it's the solenoid, get a used OEM one from powersportsnation, NOT an ebay/Amazon POS.

If it's the starter take it apart and see what the innards look like.

• Like 1

Thank you both! Sounds like a good job for a nice Friday night and beverage of choice. 

if your starter is bad ?, D&B electrical is my go-too choice for after market starters, i've had great success with them over the years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

First thing to do is see if it's the solenoid or starter. 

Take an old screwdriver and jump the terminals on the solenoid.  If the starter turns over, your solenoid is bad.  If not, your starter probably needs brushes.

You could also take a multimeter and see if you get 12V on the starter lug when pushing the start button.  That way is less "sparks going everywhere"

If it's the solenoid, get a used OEM one from powersportsnation, NOT an ebay/Amazon POS.

If it's the starter take it apart and see what the innards look like.

Well sparks went everywhere but no turning lol going to test with a multimeter later but looks like I’m pulling the starter tonight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeTaylor said:

Well sparks went everywhere but no turning lol going to test with a multimeter later but looks like I’m pulling the starter tonight. 

tells me the starter is bad. either worn brushes ?, or bad armature ?, either way, the starter needs to be replaced, for what starter brushes cost ?, its easier, faster just to buy a starter from D&B electrical, be done with it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shadetree said:

tells me the starter is bad. either worn brushes ?, or bad armature ?, either way, the starter needs to be replaced, for what starter brushes cost ?, its easier, faster just to buy a starter from D&B electrical, be done with it.

For $60 I completely agree. Starter ordered from D&B. Thank you for the company tip! Lots of parts that may come in handy in the future. 

• Like 1

Problem was actually the starter and solenoid. Ended up replacing both. Once again PSN came in clutch with the oem solenoid for $7. Atv fires up first crank almost every time now. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DeTaylor said:

Problem was actually the starter and solenoid. Ended up replacing both. Once again PSN came in clutch with the oem solenoid for $7. Atv fires up first crank almost every time now. 

Almost?   We can improve on that!   What’s up?  

20 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Almost?   We can improve on that!   What’s up?  

Sometimes it’s 2 cranks lol I’m not concerned. More concerned that she is starting to overheat. Fan isn’t spinning now.. always something.