BC-Buck

2002 Rubicon question about clutch

Not sure if have clutch starting to show wear. January pulling trailer up hill and lost traction on frozen ground. Backing down start to jack knife so stop. Through in high range to take another run at hill. Bike starting to accelerate but tires would not turn. Dont remember all details but think put in low and got out of predicament. As posted earlier with heavy stock size 6 pl tires went from 50MPH to about 38. Other day in smooth wet sand put in ESP and gave it all its got. Keeping RPM in max rang for performance 1 through 4th gear would increase MPH but shifting to 5th acted like there was no more testosterone.

Transmission pressure is on top side of spec and shifts like new. Have always used Mobil conventional oil for 20 years. Motor runs like new with about 1650 hours. Dont know if expecting to much out of my 500. Is there any way to test clutch. Looks like PITA to replace if no performance is achieved.

1 hour ago, BC-Buck said:

Not sure if have clutch starting to show wear. January pulling trailer up hill and lost traction on frozen ground. Backing down start to jack knife so stop. Through in high range to take another run at hill. Bike starting to accelerate but tires would not turn. Dont remember all details but think put in low and got out of predicament. As posted earlier with heavy stock size 6 pl tires went from 50MPH to about 38. Other day in smooth wet sand put in ESP and gave it all its got. Keeping RPM in max rang for performance 1 through 4th gear would increase MPH but shifting to 5th acted like there was no more testosterone.

Transmission pressure is on top side of spec and shifts like new. Have always used Mobil conventional oil for 20 years. Motor runs like new with about 1650 hours. Dont know if expecting to much out of my 500. Is there any way to test clutch. Looks like PITA to replace if no performance is achieved.

remove front cover, clutch is right under it. YOU DEFF WILL NEED A SPEC CLUTCH PULLER TOOL TO REMOVE IT !!. ( been there..done that ).

I would start with trying to reinitialize it first. The centrifugal clutch should show signs of slipping in every "gear".

8 hours ago, toodeep said:

I would start with trying to reinitialize it first. The centrifugal clutch should show signs of slipping in every "gear".

Hows the best way to test clutch in every gear.