1 arm chic

Re jet Carb?

This may be a dumb question but oh well. What are some tell tell issue that my carb needs to be re jetted?

it’s a 02 Foreman 450 S 

Snorkeled from breather box 1 1/2in to 2 in then has a 1 1/2 in plug thing 

Is it not running right?

I’m redoing the riser in a few minutes on my 06 500.

It would start cutting out if I gave it more than half throttle, and I figured out that 1.5 inch was starving it for air. I’m running 2 inch from the airbox all the way to the end of the snorkel now. The only 1.5 inch I’m leaving in place is the pipe that actually goes through the wall of the airbox.  

• Like 1

I have 2 inch fittings going thru the air box walls on both my 450s.    I can say I never tried running it with 1 1/2.   So I can’t say if 1 1/2 is ok or not.  But I have heard it said so many times that you need 2 inch pipe with a 450.

to answer your question “ are you jetted properly “.  You do it by checking your plug condition against a plug chart 

lol  And if the person riding behind you is complaining their  eyes are burning from unburned gas might be a sign of over fueling 

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 7:51 PM, Fishfiles said:

I have 2 inch fittings going thru the air box walls on both my 450s.    I can say I never tried running it with 1 1/2.   So I can’t say if 1 1/2 is ok or not.  But I have heard it said so many times that you need 2 inch pipe with a 450.

to answer your question “ are you jetted properly “.  You do it by checking your plug condition against a plug chart 

lol  And if the person riding behind you is complaining their  eyes are burning from unburned gas might be a sign of over fueling 

Sorry for the extremely late response!

A plug chart? Where can I find 1 of those? 

She’s running like dog crap cutting out, then runs great for a bit then like crap again. Any  somewhat deep water she just dies unless I’m screaming through it (last time I did that there was a a big piece of rip rapp that my front wheel hit wrong & I went swimming lol ) 

Sometimes I wonder if hubby has it snorkeled right but not sure if it’s a carb, snorkel or exhaust problem. He’s 2012 Foreman 500 runs great but not mine lol I try really hard not to ! to much about it but…. 

I’m always the caboose the last 1 I ride so much slower then all of them hence only having 1 arm I guess I should torture someone to ride behind me to see if their eyes are burning 🤪🤪

On 6/11/2022 at 10:46 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Is it not running right?

I’m redoing the riser in a few minutes on my 06 500.

It would start cutting out if I gave it more than half throttle, and I figured out that 1.5 inch was starving it for air. I’m running 2 inch from the airbox all the way to the end of the snorkel now. The only 1.5 inch I’m leaving in place is the pipe that actually goes through the wall of the airbox.  

Sorry for late response

Definitely hadn’t been running right. Cutting out, backfire, dies if going slow through somewhat deep water. Not sure if it’s the snorkel, carb, exhaust.

My hubby & I are not in agreement on what’s wrong with it. When he “test” drives it he doesn’t ride it like I do. He uses both hands &  more throttle I on the other hand lol I definitely use less throttle because I feel I have a bit more control. 

This is probably a really dumb question but I’m asking anyways. I attached a throttle buddy to my throttle to help with hand cramps that wouldn’t cause any kind of performance issues? 

When you go into water and it cuts out , that could be you got a vent tube on the carb not hooked up , or maybe no one way check valve under the carb or the check valve  is installed backwards , then it could be electrically getting wet and needs some dielectric grease on the spark plug boot and / or  electrical plugs and connections 

Search spark plug chart , there are many , you stick a clean plug into the engine , run it and see if it is running lean or rich by matching the condition to the chart ---  

I remember when I first snorkeled my 450 , I used 2 inch pipe all the way , except where it went thru the air box , it was choked down with an adaptor  to 1 1/2  , it use to be an eye burner for those following me --- I also move my crankcase vent tube  out the air box annd up with the snorkel -------    in fact ny red 2002 450 use to run so rich , I couldn't ride it with short pants on , it put 3 degree burn on my leg and got some nasty pics to prove it 

Are you'll sure you'll are running a OEM carb, with stock jets ? did you'll buy the atv  used , you never know what the P.O. done , it could be an after market carb or a  rebuild kit with different jets was stuck in along the way 

There are other ways that it will over fuel , timing chain slack , or a bent connecting rod that was caused from water ingestion 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 5:41 AM, Fishfiles said:

When you go into water and it cuts out , that could be you got a vent tube on the carb not hooked up , or maybe no one way check valve under the carb or the check valve  is installed backwards , then it could be electrically getting wet and needs some dielectric grease on the spark plug boot and / or  electrical plugs and connections 

Search spark plug chart , there are many , you stick a clean plug into the engine , run it and see if it is running lean or rich by matching the condition to the chart ---  

I remember when I first snorkeled my 450 , I used 2 inch pipe all the way , except where it went thru the air box , it was choked down with an adaptor  to 1 1/2  , it use to be an eye burner for those following me --- I also move my crankcase vent tube  out the air box annd up with the snorkel -------    in fact ny red 2002 450 use to run so rich , I couldn't ride it with short pants on , it put 3 degree burn on my leg and got some nasty pics to prove it 

Are you'll sure you'll are running a OEM carb, with stock jets ? did you'll buy the atv  used , you never know what the P.O. done , it could be an after market carb or a  rebuild kit with different jets was stuck in along the way 

There are other ways that it will over fuel , timing chain slack , or a bent connecting rod that was caused from water ingestion 

I completely forgot to come back & give a update! Because she was finally fixed I was so happy & excited it completely slipped my mind.

The problem was the E-Clip wasn’t keeping the Jet Needle in place so just had to squeeze the E-Clip together a bit more to make ir hold the Jet Needle 

ALSO

The O-Ring in the Pilot Screw was out of place basically pushed up way to far inside. 

Very simple small problems with easy fixes, BUT very very easy to overlook, (or a hubby not listening to his wife (me) that researches & asks questions from a lot of extremely knowledgeable, years of experience working on their own, Die Hard Honda Riders) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1