Howdy. I am working on a 2004 450s Forman and am trying to get the recoil pully off. I have tried an impact wrench with no luck. I am having a hard time keeping the pully from turning. Is there a special tool to keep the pully from turning while trying to loosen the bolt? Also is the bolt a standard right-hand thread? Thanks

7 minutes ago, teamroper said:

Howdy. I am working on a 2004 450s Forman and am trying to get the recoil pully off. I have tried an impact wrench with no luck. I am having a hard time keeping the pully from turning. Is there a special tool to keep the pully from turning while trying to loosen the bolt? Also is the bolt a standard right-hand thread? Thanks

is this the center bolt holding the pull starter on ?, or you trying to get the flywheel off ?. if you are trying to remove the pull starter cage ?, it is a 17mm head bolt, right hand threads, left to loosen !. a good air impact gun should zip it right out, do not need anything to hold the flywheel from turning. if you are trying to remove the flywheel ?, this calls for a spec tool to thread down into the flywheel's center to press the flywheel off the crank.

Thanks for the reply. its the 17 mm bolt that holds the pull starter cup on. I have been using an  impact wrench 125 psi. Lefty Losey for right hand thread. Guess I will try again tomorrow. This is in regards to my last post about the noisy starter. I found the problem which was the roller bearing that supports the pilot shaft for the starter. some of the bearings where missing so I am replacing that bearing in the rear housing. Thanks for your help.