teamroper

starter support bearing

2004 450s Forman. Does anyone know how to remove the starter support bearing from the rear housing? My ideas are not working. Thanks

5 hours ago, teamroper said:

2004 450s Forman. Does anyone know how to remove the starter support bearing from the rear housing? My ideas are not working. Thanks

you need a blind bearing puller tool to remove that bearing.

12 hours ago, shadetree said:

you need a blind bearing puller tool to remove that bearing.

Ok I will check that out. I don't what a blind bearing puller is. Thanks

Here's a blind bearing puller at work

Bread trick.  Works for bigger bearings.  That tiny one might be a stretch with the bread trick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, teamroper said:

What's a bread trick?

The bread trick only works when the bearing is still in tact , I think you mentioned the balls fell out so the inner race is gone ----

if you don't have access to a blind bearing puller  you can split the outer race with a acetylene torch or a Dremel with a carbide bit 

• Like 1

Yep, you're right.  Missed the bearing not being all there.

If all else fails, you can probably get a used rear cover on ebay pretty cheap.  Might be the easy way to go.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yep, you're right.  Missed the bearing not being all there.

If all else fails, you can probably get a used rear cover on ebay pretty cheap.  Might be the easy way to go.

Thanks, I will try the bread trick. I don't have much hope for that. There are some pullers out there that look like they may work. Probably have to get an expensive one for a shot at it. I may call my local shop to see they have a tool and pull it for me. It's always fun to see how these issues get resolved.

Just heat the cover around the race some with a propane torch and the race will fall out.

2 hours ago, teamroper said:

Thanks, I will try the bread trick. I don't have much hope for that. There are some pullers out there that look like they may work. Probably have to get an expensive one for a shot at it. I may call my local shop to see they have a tool and pull it for me. It's always fun to see how these issues get resolved.

some of the parts places like AutoZone and O’Reillys have loaner tools. 

You basically pay for the tool, take it and use it, and then when you bring it back they give you your money back

55 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

some of the parts places like AutoZone and O’Reillys have loaner tools. 

You basically pay for the tool, take it and use it, and then when you bring it back they give you your money back

Good to know. Thanks. My local dealer said they can pull it out while I wait tomorrow. If all goes well I am going to pull the flywheel and replace the one-way bearing and needle bearing while I have it apart. Also am replacing the starter gears as well. It has been pouring down rain here for days so may as well get things done the lots of riding planned. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

Just heat the cover around the race some with a propane torch and the race will fall out.

I had a heat gun on it, too hot to touch and would not budge. Thats the way the service manual said to do it too,

Very good. When replacing the starter i think is good also to replace the worn reduction gear.

glad you took it to a pro —you made a good effort 

1 hour ago, Goober said:

Very good. When replacing the starter i think is good also to replace the worn reduction gear.

Thanks for the tip on the reduction gear. The reduction Gear is on its way. Unfortunately, the 28140-HN0-A00 GEAR (43T/18T) (Honda) is out until July 22. 😞

Edited by teamroper

On 6/17/2022 at 1:28 PM, Goober said:

FYI. This how the pros got the bearing race out. Welding and a puller Plus lots of heat. It came out very hard. Good to go now. Now on to pulling the flywheel and replacing the one-way bearing and needle bearing.

20220619_075827.jpg

• Like 1