Bolens89

1999 honda foreman 450 s

I have a 1999 honda foreman 450 and ive been having this problem for a while now i have zero spark ive replaced the ignition coil cdi box the stator and the voltage regulator and it still doesn't have any spark i dont know what i should do next. any tips?

Hi Bolens 89 , you don't happen to have a mini Bolens tractor by any chance with a name like Bolens 89 ? --- Did you use all Genuine Honda OEM  parts ? 

18 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi Bolens 89 , you don't happen to have a mini Bolens tractor by any chance with a name like Bolens 89 ? --- Did you use all Genuine Honda OEM  parts ? 

I do not have any bolens tractors and the parts were off amazon pretty sure they were all china parts exept the stator

10 hours ago, Bolens89 said:

I do not have any bolens tractors and the parts were off amazon pretty sure they were all china parts exept the stator

Have read many times of cheap china parts off ebay and amazon being no good right out the box and been burned myself ,one source for OEM cheaper than new is PowerSportsNation , they are a ATV dismantler and will give 30 days guarantee on electrical parts 

stop being cheap, buy oem honda parts from honda, stay far away from amazon..they sell only china parts !..lol. when buying off ebay ?, make sure you know what you are looking at ?, even sellers on there scam you into believing its oem from honda !.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:18 PM, Bolens89 said:

I have a 1999 honda foreman 450 and ive been having this problem for a while now i have zero spark ive replaced the ignition coil cdi box the stator and the voltage regulator and it still doesn't have any spark i dont know what i should do next. any tips?

Well with Amazon parts there's a good chance one or more will be dead straight out of the box.

If you have your original parts, put them back on and report back with what the machine does.  Meter come on?  Starter turn the machine over? If so, have you tried a shot of starter fluid to make sure it's not a fuel delivery problem? 

57 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well with Amazon parts there's a good chance one or more will be dead straight out of the box.

If you have your original parts, put them back on and report back with what the machine does.  Meter come on?  Starter turn the machine over? If so, have you tried a shot of starter fluid to make sure it's not a fuel delivery problem? 

Yea i put the original ones back in besides the stator is turns over good but just doesn't have any spark

First thing I'd do is replace the plug with a new NGK plug.  Cheap and easy.

Work the kill switch back and forth a few times, and maybe spray some contact cleaner up in there.

Then you're to the multimeter point. 

You can pull up the factory service manual using the link at the top of the page.  Look under Honda, Utility, and then 450 Foreman.

Electrical is section 18-19, but depending on what tools you have at your disposal you might not be able to run all of those tests.

The CDI is a common culprit on these as is the voltage regulator.  I'd try removing the front fender and tapping on the CDI while trying to start it.  If that doesn't work, you can unplug it and bake it in your oven on 250 for a few minutes, see if it will start then.

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

First thing I'd do is replace the plug with a new NGK plug.  Cheap and easy.

Work the kill switch back and forth a few times, and maybe spray some contact cleaner up in there.

Then you're to the multimeter point. 

You can pull up the factory service manual using the link at the top of the page.  Look under Honda, Utility, and then 450 Foreman.

Electrical is section 18-19, but depending on what tools you have at your disposal you might not be able to run all of those tests.

The CDI is a common culprit on these as is the voltage regulator.  I'd try removing the front fender and tapping on the CDI while trying to start it.  If that doesn't work, you can unplug it and bake it in your oven on 250 for a few minutes, see if it will start then.

Ok what does putting the cdi box in the oven do 

18 minutes ago, Bolens89 said:

Ok what does putting the cdi box in the oven do 

Check out that link I posted. The solder joints in the CDI start cracking with age. Warming the CDI up in the oven will sometimes reflow that solder and allow it to make a good connection again.

As you can see the temperature and amount of time or something that is still up for debate, but it certainly won’t hurt anything to cook yours for a few minutes

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Check out that link I posted. The solder joints in the CDI start cracking with age. Warming the CDI up in the oven will sometimes reflow that solder and allow it to make a good connection again.

As you can see the temperature and amount of time or something that is still up for debate, but it certainly won’t hurt anything to cook yours for a few minutes

Ok thx