Jacko

2007 rancher doesn’t prime

My rancher 420 worked fine when I shut it off and the next day just cranks but never primes with the key. I gave it a shot of starting fluid and it didn’t hit.   I checked the fuses and a 7.5 was bad bad but when I replaced it still won’t start. Dealer said relays are seldom bad in his experience. Suggestions?

Welcome to Atvhonda ---  Did you remove the spark plug , put the plug  back into the boot , ground the plug on  the engine , spin it over  and check for spark ?  -----    Overlooked item -  the kill switch ? ----  What is on that 7.5 volt circuit that blew the fuse ? 

Thanks!!  I did check the kill switch first thing and it’s fine. I have a plug and will try it. I don’t remember what the cover said but it only showed 10s,20s and 30s. No 7.5 amp. 

So , still don’t know if you checked for spark by grounding the plug. 

so I gather from what you say. There is a 7.5 fuse in the fuse box that blew.  But your cover doesn’t show any 7.5 fuses only 10, 20 and 30s so do you have a manual ?   

I don’t have a manual but I’m thinking I should get one or a good aftermarket repair guide. Our dealer runs weeks out on getting things done because he is so busy. I’m going over later to check the spark and probably replace the plug With a new one. 

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

I don’t have a manual but I’m thinking I should get one or a good aftermarket repair guide. Our dealer runs weeks out on getting things done because he is so busy. I’m going over later to check the spark and probably replace the plug With a new one. 

2007 Rancher 420 right ? 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12hzs10L_Gwu0aVyp8vhmEXNdf2N2P7tk

• Like 1

Try MelATV's trick of a jumper wire from battery + to the red/black connector on the coil.  Running that jumper effectively bypasses the fuel injection relay, roll over sensor, and if it starts with the jumper wire in place you can start troubleshooting the individual components.

If it "didn't hit" with starting fluid then it's not a fueling issue. Probably spark then. This happened to two of my trx 420's at the same time. I found out that a rat chewed the same wires on both......9 wires on one and 11 wires on the other one. A friend came over and it took a few hours to  solder and heat shrink the wires.

• Like 1