jeepwm69

450FM neutral and reverse lights both on

Still working on my buddies 450.

Got a hot battery hooked up and hooked up the new meter.

When I turn the key on both the neutral and reverse lights are lit up.

If I shift to first gear both of the lights go out. If I shift back to neutral they both come on, but sometimes they are dim and if I push down on the shifter while in neutral they get brighter when the shift drum bottoms against the reverse stop lever.

Sometimes even a neutral neither light is on, but if I shift down and hit that reverse stop they both light up as if that is acting as a ground

When I get to my desktop tomorrow I intend to look up troubleshooting on the gear position switch in the factory service manual. That said, anyone else have any ideas as to what would cause this?

@retro @Melatv

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Still working on my buddies 450.

Got a hot battery hooked up and hooked up the new meter.

When I turn the key on both the neutral and reverse lights are lit up.

If I shift to first gear both of the lights go out. If I shift back to neutral they both come on, but sometimes they are dim and if I push down on the shifter while in neutral they get brighter when the shift drum bottoms against the reverse stop lever.

Sometimes even a neutral neither light is on, but if I shift down and hit that reverse stop they both light up as if that is acting as a ground

When I get to my desktop tomorrow I intend to look up troubleshooting on the gear position switch in the factory service manual. That said, anyone else have any ideas as to what would cause this?

@retro @Melatv

gear position switch is bad is my guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a gear position switch to me too. They are easy to test. 🙂

gp-sw.png

• Thanks 1