jeepwm69

Any Ford ecoboost guys here?

My daughter’s boyfriend has this 2013-ish F150 eco-boost.

My initial thought was air-conditioning related since it seems to cycle on and off but he said it still makes the noise even with the AC off

From the kid

“No it will do it as soon as I crank up but when it idles it does not make the sound. When I give it gas as I’m taking off it will start doing it real loud then acts like it has trouble switching gears.  Kind of hard to explain but you can kind of hear it in the video”

Get a cheap harbor freight code reader and see what it says, the check engine light is on, sounds like a tranny whine to me.

• Like 1

I told the kid to take it to napareillyzone and get the codes pulled.  I don't know anything about these newer rigs. 

Sounds turbo related to me. Seems like the only thing on the truck that would be spinning that fast at that low of an rpm. Those tiny economy turbo's spool at a really low rpm. Could also be why it seems to just stop abruptly sometimes. Something is in there catching and stopping it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. I told him before he does anything else he needs to take the truck to town and get codes run at AutoZone or O’Reillys. Don’t know when he’s planning on doing that but until he does it everything else is just a guess.

A turbo whine would make sense, and the other thing several people have said on another board is it could be transmission.

I’ll report back when the kid gets codes pulled

14 hours ago, TBRider said:

Did he get the codes read?

! you know kids.  He never did.

My daughter said it was a blown turbo, which appears to be somewhat common on these engines with high miles (he has 200K+).  He apparently diagnosed that using youtube videos, so that may or may not be a correct assessment.

She said he was going to sell it as is.

• Like 1

if you take the hose off the turbo , run you finger inside the hose and feel for oil , which should be none there and would indicate a seal has blown , then use your finger to spin and wiggle  the impeller to check for a bad bearing 

33 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

if you take the hose off the turbo , run you finger inside the hose and feel for oil , which should be none there and would indicate a seal has blown , then use your finger to spin and wiggle  the impeller to check for a bad bearing 

You may want to add that it's normal a good idea the shut off the engine first 🙄  Some people require a bit more instructions than others.  Like the owners manuals for cars in the 60's told you how to adjust the valve lash and set the carb.  Today they tell you not to drink the battery acid, engine coolant and transmission fluid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep that's true  , there are a whole slew of mechanics with missing fingers out there 

image.png