jeepwm69

Rear diff coupler stuck, 2013 Rubicon

2013 Rubicon rear diff.

Pinion bearing is seized (was sitting up)

Trying to get the coupler off, so I can get the seal out of the way and remove the pinion gear, replace the pinion gear bearing.

I’ve tried catching a drift on that little collar to hammer it off but not enough there to really catch on.  Same thing when trying to use a puller.

Anyone else have a creative way to get this out?  No retaining nut on the 500 coupler, just splines (which apparently have rusted together).

That can be  a bad situation --------  I would heat the coupler with a torch to start with , cause I am a torch kind of guy -----  I'd try and get some Kroil in there ,which might be tuff , if you flush the oil out the diff , then spray Kroil in while the diff's pinion is facing down , so maybe the Kroil will run into the coupler , but I don't have a lot of faith in that ----   if that did not work I would try and cut the coupler with the torch ( that's a oxy/ acc torch ) and try to save the pinion , but I am going to say the pinion will likely not make it 

• Like 1

Yeah that’s the trick. The gears were good and the inside of the diff actually didn’t look bad, but the pinion bearing will only allow the gear to turn about 10°

No problem replacing the bearing if I can get this coupler off. I have the star nut socket to get that weird retaining nut out

I have had 450 couplers stick on the front diff  and the back diff , the  2nd gen 450s ( 2002 - 2004 )  also don't have pinion nuts 

Thinking out the box here ,  sacrifice the coupler , last one I bought was about $50 , weld something to the sides of the coupler and use a slide hammer or a puller , use a threaded puller and push off the end of the pinion 

does you coupler have an exposed  lip where you could use a bearing splitter image.png

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I have had 450 couplers stick on the front diff  and the back diff , the  2nd gen 450s ( 2002 - 2004 )  also don't have pinion nuts 

Thinking out the box here ,  sacrifice the coupler , last one I bought was about $50 , weld something to the sides of the coupler and use a slide hammer or a puller , use a threaded puller and push off the end of the pinion 

does you coupler have an exposed  lip where you could use a bearing splitter image.png

Now there’s something I haven’t thought about!

I have a bearing splitter like that. I will try that and if it doesn’t work I will sacrifice the coupler 

• Like 1

Nice you had  tools to work with --- " the best tool in the box is imagination " 

• Thanks 1

Other than the large pinion bearing this rear diff was an excellent shape!

Must have set up for a while with water on the bearing

7C03C162-2552-4CF7-9517-164206197FD8.jpeg

0A52D7C5-96DB-4914-9854-7E849AB47071.jpeg

BC18CDD1-7A11-45EF-8F78-D5E89CB56404.jpeg

3F7BD494-1294-42AA-985F-590594EDCBCB.jpeg

09560AFB-E08E-4EBE-8773-0FD4F0C9FDBD.jpeg

Aye , matey !!! Pump then pack her full of  50/50 mix Lucas Hub Oil and Marine Grease and she be ready to take it deep and battle the Kraken !!!! 

• Haha 1