LoganLemx

1996 Honda Fourtrax 300 Rear Bearings

So I was ridding today doin what I normally do and my rear end started ticking. I got home put it on a jack and found my brake housing bearing and left side diff bearing are very loose. The previous owner said he rebuilt everything in the rear end. What are my options. I was already thinking about a swing arm stretch. 350D axle swap? How much would it cost? does anyone have any plans or lists? How can I maintain it better? I've heard about people put grease fittings on diffs and things how do you do that?

Thanks - Logan

Are you a welder / fabricator ?  ---  350D , 250 Fourtrax or ATC 250ES all require welding  a mounting  bracket to them  to adapt to a 300 swing arm and  350Ds have dual shocks so there is an extra step to weld shock mounts ---- the 250 from 85 to 1st half  of 86 are a bad choice , the axle tubes are welded to the swing arm, requiring more cutting and welding , on thse early models the brake drum setup is not as water resistant as later models and the axle tube and axle lengths are rare ---- 86 (2nd half ) to 87 TX250 Fourtrax are the best choice for me 

You can make a 2 1/2 inch swing arm extension by using  the front drive shaft of a 1st gen 300 ,  you don't have to weld a drive shaft extension with that method and only have to extend and weld the swing arm ---- 4 inch extension is what I  would do 

50/50 Grease / Lucas Hub Oil mix is what I run in my diffs and transfer cases 

Don Oglesby (Louisiana Don on bookface) makes a weld on plate and a bolt on center shock mount for a 350 D rear end, but if you're making your own stretch you can fab in a center shock mount in the swingarm.

I like 350D/Fourtrax rear ends.  The width on them is perfect for a 300, where the 250 rear axles are narrower. 

I run gear oil in mine, but add a grease zerk to the axle tubes just inside the hub bearings, and fill the axle tubes up with grease. 

It might just be the brake panel bearing bad and the play on the differential side is just axle slop (unless you removed the fill cap and felt the gear move). The way money is now days it might just take a little to keep using the machine and give you time to source the upgrade for the future.

• Like 2