Tnoaker

Front differential

I'm new to the forum so forgive me is this has been asked. I have a 98 foreman 400 that I can not get the propeller shaft out of the front differential. I unbolted the diff and moved it forward and got the propeller shaft off the engine but it will not come out of the diff. What am I doing wrong? Any advise is appreciated. 

Hi welcome to  ATVHonda forums 

Is this a coupler #6 in this print  what  your trying to get off 

image.pngimage.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tnoaker said:

I'm new to the forum so forgive me is this has been asked. I have a 98 foreman 400 that I can not get the propeller shaft out of the front differential. I unbolted the diff and moved it forward and got the propeller shaft off the engine but it will not come out of the diff. What am I doing wrong? Any advise is appreciated. 

Looks like he's working on the front.

Likely just rusted in place.  Pull harder, or you might have to pull the front diff out of the frame so you can get at it better.

The front propeller shaft simply slides up into a splined cup on the front diff.  Those splines are likely rusted.  That said, if the splines were stripped, a prior owner might have welded the shaft to the cup, so further inspection would probably be wise.

Great thank you. Yes I'm definitely working on the front. I've soaked it in pentrating oil amd will try again to get it apart after work. I was trying to avoid pulling the front diff out but if I have to I will. I will follow up with the results. 

• Like 1

I did grab the wrong print , the rear is made the same way with a coupler that gets rusted onto the pinion shaft 

image.png

• Like 1

it looks like the 98 400 pic above ^^^ has a nut inside of the coupler , where also does the 1st gen 450s , 2nd gen 450 don't have a pinion nut like the 500s 

I finally got it all apart. I did have to pull the front diff out and it needs more work than I thought. Can I leave the front diff out and still ride?  Looking at it I don't see any harm just wanted someone's input. Obviously I won't have 4 wheel drive for the time being. 

52 minutes ago, Tnoaker said:

Can I leave the front diff out and still ride?  Looking at it I don't see any harm just wanted someone's input. Obviously I won't have 4 wheel drive for the time being. 

No 

40 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

No 

Even if I take the outboard cup off the cv shaft and put it back in the hub?

I have heard of people  cutting up cv-shafts to run threw the knuckles on their 300s so they could  run them 2 wheel drive --- at least on a 400/450 the frot drive shaft collar / coupler is removable , so  I would think you don't have to worry about dirt getting in unwanted places 

I'd say fix it right or buy a 2 wheel drive 

10 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I have heard of people  cutting up cv-shafts to run threw the knuckles on their 300s so they could  run them 2 wheel drive --- at least on a 400/450 the frot drive shaft collar / coupler is removable , so  I would think you don't have to worry about dirt getting in unwanted places 

I'd say fix it right or buy a 2 wheel drive 

It is definitely going to get fixed right just trying to get going for this weekend. My son has been dying to get out.