Popa Fry

2000 TRX400 FW FOREMAN TRANSMISSION SHIFTING

yOU.. I now have a problem with shifting when i put it into gear it jumps forward ( maybe idle still a little much.. shifts ok thru gears but jumps in first and second.  reverse works but seems hard to get back into neutral and that is the same as first gear hard to get into neutral any thoughts.. i can get it into neutral from first if i am moving forward

This is after a motor rebuild i did get a new centrical cutch  maybe needs transmissi9on adjustment ( i have never done this) would the adj on the crankcase need adjusting ????

15 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

yOU.. I now have a problem with shifting when i put it into gear it jumps forward ( maybe idle still a little much.. shifts ok thru gears but jumps in first and second.  reverse works but seems hard to get back into neutral and that is the same as first gear hard to get into neutral any thoughts.. i can get it into neutral from first if i am moving forward

Definitely adjust clutch.  Does it drive ok/ pull in all gears? 

Idle speed might be a bit high as well.  It can be easily adjusted on the carb.

• Like 1

pulls great on what i have tried short steep incline  even in third gear no problem .  is the adjustment i need located on the crankcase cover  do i need to increase it or DECREASE it any help appreciated

Here is a 98 TRX400 service manual for you Popa  --- section 3 -17 is the clutch adjustment  --- 

loosen the 14mm hex  lock / jam nut , turn the flat slot head adjustment bolt counter clock till resistance is felt , then turn 1/4 turn clockwise and lock the jam nut 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_V22jl8QqzchU65hvxPjKNlOynW6VwkD

• Like 1

Thank you men  ... this forum found me a man to fix my crank  i have now completed my first complete rebuild ATV motor ... similar to regular engine  but    oh!!   it has the transmission in there too...  with your help it was a sucess ....  you men do a great service to the Honda and ATV community  you are to be commended...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have adjusted the clutch as described some better need to play with it i suppose .... now if i can get the carb adjusted ( Large Hands Small Space ) I will be back in action as good or better than before THANKS !!!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

I have adjusted the clutch as described some better need to play with it i suppose .... now if i can get the carb adjusted ( Large Hands Small Space ) I will be back in action as good or better than before THANKS !!!

Do you feel the problem associated with clutch issue is solved ??  

8 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

i think so it is still hard to get in neutral but better

When you lock down the lock nut after adjusting the clutch screw , you have to hold the screw with the screw driver as your tightening the jam nut , so as to not let the screw turn and mess up the setting --- 

I am going to tell you my way of adjusting the clutch , it is not in the book , I hold the foot lever with one hand as I an adjusting the slotted clutch screw with the other hand  , when there is minimum amount of free play / wiggle in the foot lever I lock it down 

• Like 1

Sounds but i have a much larger problem the iother day just after i started the motor after rebuild it started on the firs turn over  after only about two hours or less i ws excelerqaating and then letting it go back to idle just to seat the rings . normal proocudere on other engines.. so i throttled up and held about three seconds and when i let it go back to idel it back fired ( I Thought ) and died dead no spark nothing through process of elimination i found the new 

CDI unit i had just bought blew a hole out...  Replaced with old cdi unit everything back to normal start on first turn of the engine,, so i have been letting the engine idle and riding it some lower ger thrttle up and slower normal ride  everything going great except the clutch which now is working much better...so this evening i am running the engine at idle reach over and throttled up about three seconds and let go of the lever to return to idle IT DIES !!  to hot to check but i do not have any spark ..sorry for the long statement  I put a new STATOR  IS IT POSSIBLE THAT IT IS PUTTING OUT TO MUCH VOLTAGE ????

ANY WAT TO TEST THE CDI UNIT  I was going to pull it out and see if it is blown  I am at my wits end  72 years young trying to figure out ATV engines  lol

3 hours ago, Popa Fry said:

Sounds but i have a much larger problem the iother day just after i started the motor after rebuild it started on the firs turn over  after only about two hours or less i ws excelerqaating and then letting it go back to idle just to seat the rings . normal proocudere on other engines.. so i throttled up and held about three seconds and when i let it go back to idel it back fired ( I Thought ) and died dead no spark nothing through process of elimination i found the new 

CDI unit i had just bought blew a hole out...  Replaced with old cdi unit everything back to normal start on first turn of the engine,, so i have been letting the engine idle and riding it some lower ger thrttle up and slower normal ride  everything going great except the clutch which now is working much better...so this evening i am running the engine at idle reach over and throttled up about three seconds and let go of the lever to return to idle IT DIES !!  to hot to check but i do not have any spark ..sorry for the long statement  I put a new STATOR  IS IT POSSIBLE THAT IT IS PUTTING OUT TO MUCH VOLTAGE ????

voltage regulator would be the culprit for two many volts.

if you’ve fried 2 cdi’s that would be my guess.

I don’t believe there is a way to test them 

If you think it is putting out too much voltage , it can be easily checked by connecting a meter to the battery and starting the engine , you should get no more than  14.5 volts at high RPMs --- if it exceeds 14.5 then I would suspect  the regulator would be bad 

Have never heard of a CDI blowing a hole in one --- Would that CDI happen to be an aftermarket ebay or amazon special ?? 

As far as I know the only test for  cdi is to swop it with a known good  one

backfire -- first question would be , did you put a new timing chain in it ---   then second , maybe did you adjusted the valves on the wrong stroke --- I have seen them backfire with water in the gas 

all good questions i tested the stator when it was running output to the battery and it is 14.2  I didn't know if their would be a different  charge going to the CDI unit. new regulator .. yes the first CDI was from Amazon .. the one on the  ATV now is the original ..I don"t have a new CDI unit to use for checking . and yes it did blow out a hole in the wall of the CDI unit. .... no new chain  but checked that there was no noticeable slack when installed and the tensioner was set... Valve timing is correct set on intake stroke at  top dead center adjusted to .006 inch. clearance.  Thank you so much for helping me through this  I will remove the covers and check the spark again at the plug then the coil and then i guess i need to order another CDI unit have any good ones without going Honda OEM  $124.00

7 hours ago, Popa Fry said:

all good questions i tested the stator when it was running output to the battery and it is 14.2  I didn't know if their would be a different  charge going to the CDI unit. new regulator .. yes the first CDI was from Amazon .. the one on the  ATV now is the original ..I don"t have a new CDI unit to use for checking . and yes it did blow out a hole in the wall of the CDI unit. .... no new chain  but checked that there was no noticeable slack when installed and the tensioner was set... Valve timing is correct set on intake stroke at  top dead center adjusted to .006 inch. clearance.  Thank you so much for helping me through this  I will remove the covers and check the spark again at the plug then the coil and then i guess i need to order another CDI unit have any good ones without going Honda OEM  $124.00

'' new regulator '' is this amazon or ebay..or did you get it from honda ?. if its ebay or amazon ?, i would not trust it as far as i could toss it !. yes..oem is pricy ?, but at least you get to keep your hair !..lol.

Thank you was hopping to a good alternate to OEM but i agree OEM is best  but do you think it is the reg or the stator ??

He was asking if the regulator you put on is OEM or Amazon/China.

The only CDI I would trust other than OEM is a ricks, and I don’t know if he makes one for a 400. His 300 CDI’s are good to go, But the Chinese have a Bing copy those so when ordering ricks you have to order directly from him or you might get a counterfeit

• Like 1

not familiar  with Ricks  do you have contact.info...  again do you think it is my Stator or regulator  as the problem ?? I do appreciate everyone's help very much  I have checked the spark plug and coil and still no spark back to the CDI unit might order a cheap one to test start i will get better one when i figure out the cause  really confusing .. when i get it started again i will recheck the voltage to the batt at a higher rev..  Again Thanks    somehow  I know you men will help me through  this 

There are no Rick's CDIs available for the 400 or 450 as far as I know --- here is their website phone number is on the page I am sure   https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

I would try  a OEM CDI first , after market is junk , you just had one melt a hole thru it , next time it might melt down your wiring harness , it might have already melted down your harness  

Try PowerSportsNation or Ebay for a used OEM CDI 

• Like 1

Order a CDI from PSN, and get a regulator from them while you're at it.  They sell all used OEM parts, and stand behind what they sell. 

Once you get those installed, you can check your voltage with the machine running with a voltmeter.

The stator always puts out unhealthy voltage.  That's what the regulator is for. 

I bought a 300 a few years ago with a bad CDI.  Guy who sold it to me had just had it at the local dealership, where they replaced the CDI and got it running, only for it to die again not long afterwards.  I bought it from him and put a new CDI on it and checked the voltage with it running and it was way up there.  Shut it off quickly and ordered a used regulator from PSN and it was fine after that.  Poor guy who sold me that bike got ripped off a the local dealership, who just swapped on a new CDI and didn't even check to see if the voltage was good coming out of the regulator, so his new full MSRP CDI from Honda was burnt up in short order.

thank you i will order it from them if possible and get back on here  with the results ..... when i first started it i checked voltage at battery  at idle don't remember if i  throttled up and it was at 14.2/ 14.3..... still unsure if the Stator is good any comments ??? Thank You

i was able to get the CDI  and Reg both at PSN  On order will update when i have parts.  Thank You