Popa Fry

2000 TRX400 FW FOREMAN TRANSMISSION SHIFTING

I had found the exact prices from both ... 1/2 price from PSN  now i hope i can find the cause before i lose another CDI ..    If the stator is putting out   ( i know this is AC current)  and the Regulator is doing its job  and can be checked at the battery at 14.5 / 14.2  ....is it possible for the Stator to be putting out to much current into the system  or does everything go thru the regulator ???? worried i have not found the problem ..  I know this question sounds redundant     it runs so Good until i lose spark !!!

I am not the one to answer your ,  what happens if there is  too much AC voltage question , @shadetree , @retro or @Melatv could tell us ---   personally I don't think it could over produce  AC  current , but not sure 

totally different animal but -- I have had my 300 putting out too much DC volt , it would blow the fuse as soon as it was rev'ed  up , as long as you did not go high rpms it would sit there and  run , it was the regulator that was bad in that case 

I would hope your original CDI was bad , you replaced it with a chinese knock off that did not last , so a new cdi is going to fix the problem 

Sir I appreciate any information you can provide  I am an Engineer by trade  and I worked for my father in a Garage for 12 years so i have some basic knowledge .... that said this is relative new to me i found and old Polaris 500  that wouldn't shut off and rewired it  new CDI New  Voltage.. Rebuilt carb  cleaned it up and got an offer i could not refuse ..... bought  trx300fw.. carb kit  rework rear brakes including axel  and it is running very well....  it is for sale when i get this 400 FIXED......

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your help  i found a way to test the CDI on line for shorts  not sure that proves it is good ??? the original appears to be good   Confusing right....wait until Tuesday  get new CDI and try it out...rebuilding this complete was a challenge but the way ir runs is satisfying  if i can only keep a spark   lol

please share that cdi test link.  

My story is a lot like yours I had a Polaris 500 Sportsman giving to me once. Lots of work and money into it. Ride twice and work on it once kind of ATV.  The starter bendix blew and took out the $550 dollar stator. Ricky Stator helped me out on that one.  Traded it for a 450. Spent too much time and money on it.   But I’m afraid of it.  Don’t want to break it so I seldom ride it.  Got into 300s.  Best one Honda ever built with 4 wheels.  

• Like 1

This is the best i can do:      in google typed in     is there any to test a CDI unit for Foreman TRX400fw      ( listed below on page )           How do I know if my CDI box is bad?  this is a YouTube

Here are a couple of videos that came up using your method of search 

The first  one is what i used....this  test checks for a short between the  ground and the post as i understand it    1 or 2 post side beside are ground (or empty ) one for  coil  one for alternator power  one for key and one for pulse (not sure what that is )

Like i said this only shows there is no short between the ground and post not sure if that is a very good test  Maybe  this can help someone later.. i will know more when i get a new CDI and plug it in to see if I have spark ... I can check it before I install it and let you know later a    THANK  YOU

I would suspect a poor frame ground somewhere (one of them may be getting rusty/corroded under a wire/cable connection bolt) if I suspected there might be a high voltage issue causing the OEM CDI to fry? But if a China CDI fries thats normal and expected, they are all complete garbage.

So before ya run your new OEM CDI ya might wanna pull the negative battery cable off of the motor and frame, and pull the two wiring harness ground wire bolts off the frame and shine all of those up. Coat each shiny surface with dielectric grease when you bolt them back down to prevent future corrosion.

• Like 1

THANK YOU   it fried both an OEM  and China CDI  both failed when the engine was reeved  up....  tested before they failed and had 14.2/14.3 to the battery THIS WAS AT IDLE ..   ... i did put an aftermarket  stator in during my overhaul and i am thinking it is some how over powering something and causing the CDI Failure 

i have an OEM  rectifier and CDI unit but i have a China  CDI to use to prove out the ruined first OEM  if i plug it in and get spark  OEM CDI fried  i am afraid to put in the new OEM CDI even if i put on the rectifier and get the 14.2 or so battery output.  with overhaul and carb kit  this motor runes as good as any i have seen starts in less than TWO revelations. runs smooth and sounds great..  i want this fixed and i am about to pull the engine and put in a OEM stator//Correct me if i am wrong  if  i have  CDI  failure it is the CDI  Rectifier  or Stator am i missing something  Per you suggestion i will double all grounds.   Runs until I lose spark.  You men do not have any Idea how much i Appreciate your help   ... hope to have this 400 out and running  and dependable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

i want this fixed and i am about to pull the engine and put in a OEM stator//Correct me if i am wrong  if  i have  CDI  failure it is the CDI  Rectifier  or Stator am i missing something

The china stator must be replaced with OEM as you know, china parts just don't work very long (or at all in many cases) on Hondas cause they're all chintzy garbage. But the stator function itself cannot fry a CDI.... a stator is just an alternator.... an AC power supply. The voltage regulator converts the AC voltage output from the stator into DC voltage and regulates that DC voltage so the charging output remains safely below 15 volts.

OEM CDI's can get fried if charging voltage reaches/exceeds approximately 16 volts.

So clean up all of the grounds first.... there are two ground wire bolts on the frame and one on the motor where the negative battery cable bolts down.

Since you have it somewhat apart already if I were you I would separate every wiring harness connector on the ATV one at a time and clean them with brake clean spray or electrical parts spray, then put some dielectric grease inside each connector and around the rubber connector seals before plugging each of them back in. Finding water/corrosion inside of electrical connectors is common on Hondas, especially on older machines, as they are not waterproofed by the factory. So prepare those connectors now if you can.... to save you money and time, both now and later....

If there are any other china knockoffs on your Foreman replace them with OEM parts right away. Ya can't fix problems while garbage parts is still on the ATV.... Keep us posted on how things go for ya.

Also just in case that your wiring harness may be hacked up, spliced, or repairs attempted, replace it with a good used one. Hacked up harnesses kill a lot of expensive electrical parts.

thank you,  i will let you know how it goes  it will take some time to separate every plug  these thing don" want to let go  as you know never opened in 22 years ..... and need to find grounds on frame  i will replace with  OEM ASAP..

with local temp at 93 / 95 degrees I might be working late in evenings  THANKS !!!

• Like 1

The aftermarket stator 
Does it have any extra connectors you didn’t need? Are the wire colors different? 

can you members remind me of the pulse generator’s role in this?

The firing impulse (pulse generator) is triggered by the flywheel, and the CDI amplifies the pulse to the coil. Can the pulse be too strong for the CDI somehow? 
or dirty spark plug wire inhibit discharge?

Edited by Goober

30 minutes ago, Goober said:

The aftermarket stator 
Does it have any extra connectors you didn’t need? Are the wire colors different? 

can you members remind me of the pulse generator’s role in this?

The firing impulse (pulse generator) is triggered by the flywheel, and the CDI amplifies the pulse to the coil. Can the pulse be too strong for the CDI somehow? 
or dirty spark plug wire inhibit discharge?

pick up coil ( or more known as pulse generator ) is nothing but a trigger for the c.d.i. to tell the c.d.i. when to fire off the spark plug coil/spark plug. the flywheel has a raised metal piece on it that goes by the pick up coil on every revolution.

• Like 2

plug was the same  3 yellow and 1 blur  1 green  ...Update  i received a new  CDI (China  I know( but the first one i got run good until it failed... for kicks i put the one i just received and although it started it runs like crap spitting and back fire  i did get it to idle long enough to check the voltage on two different rectifiers  both 14.2  i ma almmost convienced it is the stator  or pulse generator... either way i need a new OEM Stator  that should get me an amen !!   Thank you all for the help i NEED itand appreciate you advise 

Retro  I am having trouble locating the Grounds you mentioned  I have one bolt on the engine the has two ground wires attached heavy wire . .. i started at the back  at rectifier and tail lights followed it forward up to the fan 

cdi control box for fan lights and I did not find anything  can you give me a hint where i would find the additional grounds  2000 trx400fw foreman i  looked at the wiring diagram but it doesn't help me    Thanks men

If you look at #10 on this print , it is the ground , it is an either / or , you see how one wire is all one piece and the other is two wires , yours could be made either way , and the junction  of that ground wire where is is two is behind the starter , same as my 450 which I see needs some washing in this pic 

image.png

fullsizeoutput_fd8.jpeg

that looks  similar to mine  one from batt and other wire goes to the frame  I JUST FOUND IT !!! AND ATTACHES TO THE MOTOR   maybe that's all I have ..

On 7/6/2022 at 10:28 AM, Popa Fry said:

i did get it to idle long enough to check the voltage on two different rectifiers  both 14.2  i ma almmost convienced it is the stator  or pulse generator

Hi Popa,

You have to rev the motor up high (a brief rev to about 4500 RPMs should be sufficient) when you check the maximum charging voltage.

The stator (nor the pulse generator) function can not influence an overcharge voltage issue, only the regulator/rectifier function can.

There are two frame ground wires. One is the ground cable that comes from the motor ground cable attachment location and bolts to the frame on the lower right/rear side. You can follow that cable from the motor to the frame with your eyes and hand...

The other frame ground point is where the main wiring harness is grounded to the frame. There are two Green wires crimped inside a single brass Ring terminal coming out of that harness. The harness ground Ring terminal bolts to the frame under a single bolt. I don't remember where that harness ground is located on a 400 Foreman though.... look for it near the motor-to-frame ground bolt location, or on the front/left side of the frame where there are several harness connectors attached to the frame. I'll attach a couple images with Red arrows added that may help you find them... maybe someone else remembers the location and can help ya.

ground-1.png

ground-2.png

• Like 1

I had found and cleaned the one from the motor to the frame  on the outside of the frame  per first  print out!... and with the help  of the second  I FOUND  IT under the harness .... it actually has two  terminals  each with  2 green wires..   SIR  You are the Man 

I would like your thoughts on what could  Blow a CDI  other  than a faulty rectifier.  i did get it to rev up not sure to what RPM  but the voltage remained 14.2 with 2 different rectifiers  the one that was on the atv at the time  of the  CDI failures  checked good  but i had two CDI units fail

like mentioned before i put a China a Stator in when i rebuilt it  I am getting an OEM from  Power Sport  Nation  to put in motor.. Sure wish i could do that without pulling the motor.  You Men contribute so much to the Honda community not to mention helping an Old Man fix his Ride  THANK  YOU

41 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

Sure wish i could do that without pulling the motor.  

I'd tell you the stator can be changed without pulling the engine out the frame  

28 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

do i need to loosen the  mounts and lift it up for Clearence and remove skid plate  

drop the skid plate ( remove it ) then remove the stator case, it should just come right out after you remove all the mounting bolts.

ALRIGHT  MEN   I am back UPDATE:   removed aftermarket  Stator and replaced it with an OEM Sator ..put on OEM  rectifier ...and  OEM   CDI unit  i got the parts used from  Power Sport Nation (someone suggested them it the previous Tread. so i

start putting everything back together .... first check before i go to far I checked for spark... It had a very strong Spark  arc.....  so finished putting most everything back together..Cjhrecked the battery  13.1 DC volt  stand alone measurement  ...

NOW  COMES THE QUESTION :   ...when i started it it runs smooth appears to be back the way it was running before i lost Spark..   CHECKED THE DC VOLTAGE AT THE BATTERY AT AN IDEL AND HAVE A READING OF 14.6 / 14.7  BEFORE I HAD

READINGS OF 14.2 / 14.3  IS 14.7 TO MUCH ??    IT IS AN OEM RECTIFER.... ALSO TO MY SUPRISE IF I INCREASE THE RPM TO WHAT I GUESS 2000 RPM THE VOLTAGE ACTUALLY DROPS TO 14.5   Thanks in Advance i  know you wil keep me straight.

I do appreciate your input  Thanks

• Like 2

Good news -----   14.6 -14.7 will be ok --------- now don't go running off since your atv is running , stick around --- and tell us about your 4 wheeler adventures 

you can be the guy , that ask the new members asking for help ,  if they used OEM parts and if they have China parts , they should get them off the atv before continuing , LOL 

• Haha 2