Popa Fry

2000 TRX400 FW FOREMAN TRANSMISSION SHIFTING

Wow that took a Hard left turn form Working on Honda's   I need to stay on track until i have this thing running correctly ..

• Haha 2

The mushrooms look yummy !!!  That thread I linked is all about food , drinking beer and B.S.'in  

Is your foot shifter equally hard in both directions , or is it harder in  reverse or  harder in 1st ?   Improper indexing of the clutch arm #10 can cause that 

Are you sure you have the #15 the ball retainer plate in the right way and not flipped over upside down and that the #12 spring in right place 

image.png

Not that I think your a wheelie kind of guy , Retro gave you the recipe for doing a wheelie ---  just so you know , if you pull up on the footshifter with your foot and hold it up , rev the engine hard and let go of your foot while you are giving a jerk back on the handle bars and shifting your weight back , you might get them front wheels off the ground ---- don't think you going to be doing no wheelies anytime soon , but , it is a good thing to know , LOL 

i don't have a problem with the food always a good subject ....i must have missed something i didn't see link ???       On with the Show  lol...

yes on item # 15 i doubled checked to have the spring correct also..... easy in both directions now .....  First thing !!    at 72 years old (heal slowly)  and weighing in at  about 250  (  I am not fat I am just  a foot short ) and you are most correct i want to keep my ride in good condition  for hunting and fishing and such . and you men will help me do just that. 

28 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

i must have missed something i didn't see link ???

• Like 1

I like the Shindy rebuild kits but they don’t come with the starter jet passage plug. Shown in this picture by using the OEM parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv.

you can get the starter jet passage plug by buying them separately in sets of 4 (Gold Wing carbs), buying a Honda gasket kit ($18), or buy a K&L carb rebuild kit. I recommend the K&L kit.

also consider replacing the starter enrichment valve ($50) and the primer plunger ($65). 

i know this seems a bit much, but that’s the price for fooling around with a twenty year old lol

D3BB3DE0-A6FF-4960-A1B6-6B8B8B36CA3B.jpeg

5870338F-7B1E-4CEA-A095-CF21262FBE96.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the starter jet might my problem with the choke only partially works but it starts without any help just push the button 

6 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

that's young compared to its rider ...

Can I ask , how old are you ??  I will be 64 next month 

**** EDIT :  I just seen your post about being 72 , you got me by 8 

20 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Can I ask , how old are you ??  I will be 64 next month 

**** EDIT :  I just seen your post about being 72 , you got me by 8 

This place is turning into a dang geriatric ward!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

This place is turning into a dang geriatric ward!

Watch it there youngster, you may get sent to your room....lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Popa Fry said:

BUT WITH AGE  COMES WISDOM ...

Yes I are very smart....lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

BUT WITH AGE  COMES WISDOM ...

That’s very true.

At a very immature 47, I tried to mount my daughter’s boyfriend’s new 35” mud tires with my harbor freight tire changer.  After 30 mins of fighting the first tire, I said “How about I get your tires mounted and balanced for you at the tire shop?  It can be your birthday present.”

At my age I’m still stupid enough/ not old enough to think “F all that, I’m no dummy.  I’m paying someone to do that job”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You'll need a good strong solvent to clear jets and passages in the carb - a can of Berryman B-12 chemtool carb cleaner works good if your local auto parts store stocks it. Be careful with the choke plunger when taking it out ya may be able to save it... may need a new choke cable though if it is sticking due to rusty cable.

• Like 1

@Popa Fry just because you get it fixed ?..DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE NOT WELCOEM TO HANG HERE !...LOL. stick around...we love to talk about other things besides atvs.

• Like 4

the choke cable appears to move the full  travel ... when disconnected from the carb it moves  freely ......... and  i do feel i have found some new friends.. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Popa Fry said:

......... and  i do feel i have found some new friends.. 

Yeah friends forever - and ever since the moment that you became a fellow member here, you also became a co-owner and co-operator of this site as well. That's the way we roll 'round here! So ya can't just up and leave your share of ATVHonda property to riff-raff like us.... :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i hope i can maybe help someone like you have helped me  so  i guess i need to troll the new listings and see if i can add my 2 cents maybe even try the chat but that would be new ground to plow

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

i hope i can maybe help someone like you have helped me  so  i guess i need to troll the new listings and see if i can add my 2 cents maybe even try the chat but that would be new ground to plow

That's how it goes!  I popped up about 10 years ago needing help, and have learned a lot from these guys.  Still learning too!

• Like 1

Popa , you  ready to do some upgrades to that 400 , here is a video of my 450 ---- you know we got a music thread going on 

Popa , many of us use to hang out on HondaATV.com and had a lot of fun  , till that site got taken over by the evil Vertiscope , or whatever they called themselves , that's when it went down hill and they ruined it ----    Retro built this site , ATVHonda.com using his own fund as he is truly a master of computers , software and programs , now it is kept going by donations by members  to keep the lights on , hope you enjoy yourself and hang around with us 

• Like 2

i would gladly donate  to help the cause  please provide  required  information ...and i  have enjoyed and actually looked forward to hearing from all of you 

• Like 1

Fish  there is NO WAY I would ever do that to my ATV  it's not for Show  it is for Going hunting  I could not get out of the driveway with an outfit like that.... Simple man Simple ATV i want it like me  Old and Strong  LOL  but i need it to run longer !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1