Popa Fry

2000 TRX400 FW FOREMAN TRANSMISSION SHIFTING

when it goes in gear it slows some but not much  the change is what i would call normal in gear it is under a load therefore it slows somewhat. Just out riding some more making a lot of gear changes up and down  it does seem to change better to more i ride it   it was not running for about a year after the motor went south from no oil. it is just when i change into first it jumps and even some into upper gears at slow speeds ..higher speed everything gets bettet it appears.  I think it is still a work in progress and some time spent using it might smooth everything out ( except the carb and i get another kit tomorrow and will put on my new 

3 hours ago, Popa Fry said:

i have the adjustment to the spec,... i have moved it around a little with no real change ... if it is the change clutch i was just in there today  but did not look at it ...when i overhauled the engine  2 weeks ago the plates were not sticking..

thanks for the info

ok, let's break this down. ask yourself, was it shifting and moving great before you tore into it to change the one-way clutch bearing ?, or was it doing the same thing when you tore into it ?. i always back track on issues when i work on something, and then find out something changed when i fixed that problem ?!. this means..i did something different when i was putting it back together ?, or..the problem was always there..but it just did not show itself until i fixed the first problem ?. so in this case, if the shifting was good before you tore into it ?, then you either did not put it back together and adjust it correctly ?, or..its something else that is making it not shift right.

1 hour ago, Popa Fry said:

when it goes in gear it slows some but not much  the change is what i would call normal in gear it is under a load therefore it slows somewhat. Just out riding some more making a lot of gear changes up and down  it does seem to change better to more i ride it   it was not running for about a year after the motor went south from no oil. it is just when i change into first it jumps and even some into upper gears at slow speeds ..higher speed everything gets bettet it appears.  I think it is still a work in progress and some time spent using it might smooth everything out ( except the carb and i get another kit tomorrow and will put on my new 

anytime it '' jumps '' when you go into a gear ?..THIS MEANS THE CLUTCH IS NOT ADJUSTED RIGHT !. or..the friction disk are stuck on one or some of the disk ?.

'' not running for about a year after the motor went south from no oil '' this right here tells me the friction disk are stuck together !!. anytime they sit for a long time ?, the disk stick together..in this case, to the metal disk.

You mentioned having taking the engine apart , did you disassemble the change clutch and then reassemble it  ?  You may have pinched a disc from not properly  aligning the teeth 

i did not disassemble the change disc  i am not sure about prior problem i bought it with a bad motor  was not my machine.. i will admit  some of the disc tried to come out but i was careful to align them back correctly   if they were no aligned  would you be able to assemble the motor???  the clutch was never completely dissembled just maybe the first one or two elements.

will using it get  the disc to  separate themselves after getting the oil and heat from use ??

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Popa Fry said:

i did not disassemble the change disc  i am not sure about prior problem i bought it with a bad motor  was not my machine.. i will admit  some of the disc tried to come out but i was careful to align them back correctly   if they were no aligned  would you be able to assemble the motor???  the clutch was never completely dissembled just maybe the first one or two elements.

---- You say you did not disassemble the change clutch , but then say,  some of the disc tried to come out and you were careful to align them back correctly , sounds like you disassembled to me --- my guess is you have one pinched 

@Popa Fry were these new clutch friction disks you installed or the old ones? If new, i think you have to soak them in oil for a day or two before installing.

if idle is much higher than 1400rpm as retro stated, the quad will jump when put in gear. Try to get that idle down where you know it’s not the carb.

i wear size 12 gloves so I know what yer going thru adjusting the pilot. I use a flat bit in a bit holder. Sometimes just the bit. If your choke valve is old I suggest replacing it.

Edited by Goober

...when handling the clutch upon removal  the disc tried to come out i realigned the  one disc plate into the clutch  and it went back together  ... i did not completely dissemble the clutch, if i can pinch one it is the first one on the clutch i suppose that is possible ...what is the cure  ???

If you have a pinched disc it will most likely be the one on the bottom of the stack. In order to check for and fix that sort of problem you must take the stack apart all the way to the bottom and restack all of the discs in order.

1 hour ago, Popa Fry said:

...when handling the clutch upon removal  the disc tried to come out i realigned the  one disc plate into the clutch  and it went back together  ... i did not completely dissemble the clutch, if i can pinch one it is the first one on the clutch i suppose that is possible ...what is the cure  ???

, I was typing and retro beat me to it   -----  The one that gets pinched is the one close to the crankcase , you can tell if it is pinched without taking it apart , by looking for  a gap and /  or looseness between disc and frictions , if you can move them around , they are pinched 

• Like 1

If you find that a disc was pinched it likely became warped... check that every disc that you remove is flat with no warpage or damage.

Ya got me back Fish... :)

• Like 1

thanks men i have been riding iy  as much as possible  in and out of reverse  first to nuteral and then theu all gears both slow and med hich speeds. i believe you men are correct on several counts but as i ride and it is better i think my problem is in the carburatoe and idol speed  today it slowed down and all gear changes immediately improved  i am sure that several of you have told me that before  and I will know better when i rebuild the carb with the new kit  THANK YOU SO MUCH and even if  it don't have a pinched plate i learned so valuable information  i am forever grateful to everyone that has helped me  but if the carb fixes it i am going to miss you guys..  maybe i need to follow others and see if i might be able to help  I am fairly well familiar with a 400fw foreman from top to bottom  lol 

• Like 3

A Shindy carb kit along with a thorough carb cleaning will probably fix ya up. Follow the service manual carb assembly and adjustment steps in the listed order then let us know how it works. 

By the way, you can verify that the clutch is adjusted right and verify that there are no pinched discs by lifting the shifter lever to shift into 1st gear and holding the shifter up in that position. Do not release the shifter.... hold it all of the way up. Then reach over to the throttle lever and rev the motor up a bit. The ATV should remain holding still. If the ATV lurches or tries to move forward while holding the shifter up and giving it some throttle, then either the clutch is out of adjustment and/or a clutch disc is pinched. Do this outdoors away from everything.... and stand back so the ATV doesn't run over you if it lurches forward!

• Like 2

it is a Shindy as you recommended .. thanks for the clutch check and yes i will make sure their are no pets or small children in the area also can...ok  i could not wait !!      I found a safe place and did the following  stoped  the ATV   shifted into reverse to check it working  back to neutral then to firsr normal and everything worked  returnned to neutral   I lifted the shifter like normal maybe a bit slower and the neutral light went out and I could feel the gear chane as i held the shifter completly up there was NO movement  I reved the engine and there was NOT any movement until i releasde the shifter and it moved forward like it should    I AHD TO KNOW   that is a simple and effective test...

• Like 1

Popa Fry Quote  " I am forever grateful to everyone that has helped me  but if the carb fixes it i am going to miss you guys..  maybe i need to follow others and see if i might be able to help  I am fairly well familiar with a 400fw foreman from top to bottom  lol     " 

Stick around -- 

Popa Fry , did you get that name from frying fish ?  I happen to know two different families from  New Orleans  who's last name is Fry and they are not related to each other  ....  or  are  your the Fry Dad of Fish , if so put  us on some fishing   techniques and  recipes , lol 

• Like 1

last name Fry ..my fathers family from Indiana   Had a lot of Fry nick names over the years my son gave this to me over 40 years ago     it was what all the kids called me on his ball teams and playing cards with the boys  BUT  I do like to cook 

Enjoy 

image.png

• Like 2

I would guess your  marinade is for a baked or broiled fillet , that sounds pretty tasty /

Now your talking my favorite subject --- food --- I love to cook , cause I love to eat good  , born and raised in New Orleans ,  Louisiana  , one set of grandmother   French and the other  Croatian 

Backstrap cut thin , fried with grated Romano / Parmesan cheese  and beer goes with everything 

fullsizeoutput_fbc.jpeg

CmXdArvFQvqjFega1loKUQ.jpg

• Like 1

actually i use that for grilling  keeping it covered with marinade while cooking.  my son says i need a food truck .  I also have a fairly large garden  Retro need to come South  he has the Beer we have the cooking  LOL  my favorites

;  Stuffed mushrooms  sausage lots of garlic- Country Hams- Dumpling like my grandma made -  check mix at Christmas  - oh don't forget Burbon Balls-and sweets  Homemade butterscotch Pies.  to name a few  LOL i need to close for now i am hungry.

• Like 1