SparkyMark

Anyone had experience of the TRX520FA6/7 ?

It's been a while since I posted - way too long.

Currently enjoying all the work I put into my 2004 TRX450 (Foreman) with manual foot shift. That thing never lets me down and is smooth as butter. Winch and snowplow were very useful this past winter.

I've also been pretty impressed with the reviews of the new Honda Foreman Rubicons. So I put down a deposit on an TRX520FA6.I really didn't want to pay the extra $500 for fancy paint, alloys and color matching springs (FA7) 🙂  Utility - not fashion accessory.

I was fortunate to find a dealer that had one unit being shipped today from Honda. Dealership has no idea when it will arrive - no visibility into the supply chain. It seems they get told by Honda that they have been chosen to receive "an ATV" of a particular spec. No flexibility in specifying what they want.  It all seems pretty random. No other dealership on the eastern slope of Colorado had any Rubicons.

Asked if I wanted to trade in my trusty TRX450 - the answer was ! no!

I let you know what I think of it - once I take delivery (some time in July).

Edited by SparkyMark
Typo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SparkyMark said:

It's been a while since I posted - way too long.

Currently enjoying all the work I put into my 2004 TRX450 (Foreman) with manual foot shift. That thing never lets me down and is smooth as butter. Winch and snowplow were very useful this past winter.

I've also been pretty impressed with the reviews of the new Honda Foreman Rubicons. So I put down a deposit on an TRX520FA6.I really didn't want to pay the extra $500 for fancy paint, alloys and color matching springs (FA7) 🙂  Utility - not fashion accessory.

I was fortunate to find a dealer that had one unit being shipped today from Honda. Dealership has no idea when it will arrive - no visibility into the supply chain. It seems they get told by Honda that they have been chosen to receive "an ATV" of a particular spec. No flexibility is specifying what they want.  It all seems pretty random. No other dealership on the eastern slope of Colorado had any Rubicons.

Asked if I wanted to trade in my trusty TRX450 - the answer was ! no!

I let you know what I think of it - once I take delivery (some time in July).

i think you are buying a auto paper weight..lol.

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

i think you are buying a auto paper weight..lol.

LOL.. May be. Time will tell.

It will be the most expensive paper weight I've owned 🙂

• Like 1

I have a 2017 that I've had for almost two years and really like it.  The suspension and seat are really good but the suspension isn't made for riding fast in really rough areas.  The power steering is good but I wish it was just a tad lighter which I think the newer ones are.  It seems to hold longer in gears than what I'd prefer but that's probably better for it than if it short shifted.  I've heard people say that since it has rear suspension you can't haul as much weight with it.  I have a 4X7 trailer and I can load it up with firewood without the rear sagging so I have no complaints about that.  It has a low range which makes it easier on it when you do haul big loads.  Being able to fully lock the front up is a big plus when you're on very slick turf.  I don't really care for the way it shifts to reverse but yours has been improved.

I haven't had any trouble out of it except for an emissions part when I first got it.  I try to take my dog for a run once or twice a day with it so I use it quite a bit.  Overall I rate mine pretty high but realize that it's not for everybody.  I'm 67 years old and I call it my rocking chair.   

Edited by RubiDan
  • Like 2

Thanks @RubiDan.

The towing capacity is 1322lbs and the rear carrier has a capacity of 187lbs (same as yours). My 2004 Foreman TRX450 is 850lbs and 133lbs respectively. So I'm not worried about that at all.

Honda may have changed the gear ratio in Rubicons from 2020 onwards.

I'll let you know how I get on - once I take ownership. 60 years old here. Looking forward to more comfort 🙂 

Well, I have had Polaris's since the late 90's, all in the 500 - 550cc range, and my riding / hunting buddy always had Honda's. I pulled him out a number of times because in the older models - his last Foreman was a 2006 - I used to always say to him, are you taking your 3 wheel drive out hunting again this year !! We also do some trail riding, and the DCT is sweet.  The Polaris belt drive wasn't the greatest for hunting in the swampy areas we were in for Elk and Moose, so once they added the diff lock, I became a little more interested. Then, FINALLY, in 2020, they changed that crazy reverse lever to an electronic switch. So we took a couple out for test rides, and within the 15 minute test ride we had, we were sold, we bought two of them. He bought the Camo - 520-EPS-IRS-DCT-DELUXE and I took the same in red, not the deluxe, as I wanted to add my own style of rims, and more aggressive tires. Long story short, this is one of the most comfortable quads I have ever driven, the PS is amazing - much better than my last Polaris ( 2016 Sportsman )  very comfortable ride, easy on the body ( 61 ) can pull a train with the diff lock on in low, I couldn't be happier with it. You are not going to win any races, but you will always get to where you're going, and back, and for what we use them for, I'm now a full fledged Honda fan. Its also a nice fuel sipper, unlike my Polaris, but there is a HP difference as well.

Good luck with yours, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, SparkyMark said:

Thanks @RubiDan.

The towing capacity is 1322lbs and the rear carrier has a capacity of 187lbs (same as yours). My 2004 Foreman TRX450 is 850lbs and 133lbs respectively. So I'm not worried about that at all.

Honda may have changed the gear ratio in Rubicons from 2020 onwards.

I'll let you know how I get on - once I take ownership. 60 years old here. Looking forward to more comfort 🙂 

I have a 2017 TRX500FM6,  I load about 250 lbs of wood on my back rack and the ride gets unbelievably smooth, without the extra weight it's rough as schitt, over 6300kms and around 600 hrs, nothing broke yet.

I refused to look at the automatic or e shift,  I have the foot shift.

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 4.44.26 PM.png

Well... here they are side by side. Had to drive all the way to New Mexico to pick it up (Big thumbs up for R&D Dealership in Raton - no dealership setup charges - no fuss.  I fitted a WARN winch which was pretty simple. So far so good. Bit clunky finding 2nd gear but everything else is fine. As others have said, it's super comfy. Guess I'm not feeling in full control as automatic takes car of the shifting. ESP is fine. My TRX450FM remains the primary work horse right now. Fortunately the Cycle Country snow plow fits both the TRX450 and the TRX520FA6 - with a new baseplate from KFI.

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 4.42.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 4.43.41 PM.png

Edited by SparkyMark
Typo - wrong model #
  • Like 1