Rene

Burning fuse

I have 1999 450 Es.the bike starts and shifts all gears including reverse but when I shut the bike off it burns the 30 amp fuse under the fuse box…any help would b welcome thanks

Hi Rene , if I am think the same fuse , it is a 30 amp in a seperate fuse holder other than in the fuse box , if so it goes to the ignition switch and the voltage regulator , voltage regulator , might be your problem , I have seen the wiring harness get messed up on the 450 right in front of the air box where the harness goes from on side the frame to the bottom of the frame 

Hi Rene, a word to the wise, find what is the problem before you replace the fuse...30 amps is more than most of the wires will handle, most of the wiring harness will not handle 30 amps. check your wiring diagrams for the 30 amp circuit. ...derf. do not keep replacing the fuse. investigate the problem first.. good luck

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi Rene , if I am think the same fuse , it is a 30 amp in a seperate fuse holder other than in the fuse box , if so it goes to the ignition switch and the voltage regulator , voltage regulator , might be your problem , I have seen the wiring harness get messed up on the 450 right in front of the air box where the harness goes from on side the frame to the bottom of the frame 

Ok thx fishflies will investigate 

9 minutes ago, Derf40 said:

Hi Rene, a word to the wise, find what is the problem before you replace the fuse...30 amps is more than most of the wires will handle, most of the wiring harness will not handle 30 amps. check your wiring diagrams for the 30 amp circuit. ...derf. do not keep replacing the fuse. investigate the problem first.. good luck

Thx derf40 good advice

Fuses are too expensive to burn up searching for shorts , use a multimeter , pull the blow fuse  , stick the two probes , one in each side of the fuse blade holder of the blown fuse  , start unplugging connectors till  the meter goes zero and that is the circuit with the short 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Fuses are too expensive to burn up searching for shorts , use a multimeter , pull the blow fuse  , stick the two probes , one in each side of the fuse blade holder of the blown fuse  , start unplugging connectors till  the meter goes zero and that is the circuit with the short 

Ok thanks will try that tomorrow 

On 7/4/2022 at 4:55 PM, Rene said:

Ok thx fishflies will investigate 

Thanks for the advice,much appreciated.I found the problem was the voltage regulator/rectifier.I bought one,replaced it and everything is working fine.You guys are awesome 

• Like 2