Bossdaddy

2004 Foreman 450 Valve Adjustments

Hi guys, I went to adjust the valves on this 2004 450 and I'm just curious about what I found when I got the as found gap. I got the flywheel turned the TDC and the gap on the exhaust valve was .023 and intake was .034. Is this normal to have that big of a gap. It still ran pretty good, it has carburetor problems. I was really surprised at what I found. Let me know what y'all have found when checking gaps.

Hey daddy, sounds like you not on compression stroke, check that first...derf

• Like 2

derf nailed it daddy, you have the engine on wrong stroke.

OK, I went back to the shop and checked the next time the piston came up and the "T" was in the port hole, I couldn't get a .002 feeler gauge under either rocker arm. I am probably wrong but I thought when the T is in the port hole and the rocker arms were loose that was the time to set the valves.

the .002 feeler gauge may not be right, check the shop manual... for spec.

Derf40, there is no gap, the .002 feeler would not go in, I'm confused, will someone try to explain to me if I was on the compression stroke when I got the large gap readings. Am I correct in saying if I wasn't on the compression stroke I would not be able to get a reading period?

Dad don't make a mountain out of a mole hill..when the piston is at TDC, on the compression stroke, both valves should be set at this time. the intake valve and the exhaust valve. I have a 99-450 Forman and they are set at .006 each. some units may not be set the same, check you manual for the settings. good luck..derf🙂

Take out the spark plug.

As you cycle the engine counterclockwise, watch the valves and the flywheel port. as the exhaust valve closes, you’ll see the intake valve open. As the intake valve starts to close, you’ll see the T on the flywheel. that’s where you wanna be. 
you can back the motor up a little 
Go too far and the exhaust valve will start to open 

• Like 1